Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone know Isle of Man gold angels?

I have an opportunity to buy the 1988 Isle of Man Red Cross Angels of Mercy set. 1 oz Helvetia, 1 oz, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10 oz angels.
Cross & Shield privy, original boxes, COA, etc. Untouched and beautiful set.

But sales seem to be few and far between. I see an identical set on Worthpoint but you know how that goes.

I thought I saw mintage of 1,000 but regular mintages seem to be unavailable.

Any idea?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    I have an opportunity to buy the 1988 Isle of Man Red Cross Angels of Mercy set. 1 oz Helvetia, 1 oz, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10 oz angels.

But sales seem to be few and far between. I see an identical set on Worthpoint but you know how that goes.

Any idea?

Where did you see a Mintage of 1,000? The Pobjoy mint records are a joke. You cannot rely on them. In addition they often sell sets, but have individual sales as well. That adds up. Spink doesn’t even list them and Southall does not list a mintage at all.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:

Where did you see a Mintage of 1,000? The Pobjoy mint records are a joke. You cannot rely on them. In addition they often sell sets, but have individual sales as well. That adds up. Spink doesn’t even list them and Southall does not list a mintage at all.

A few recent sales of the Swiss 1 ounce gold put that mintage at 1,000. At least one current eBay auction, for the 1/2 oz Isle of Man, claims a mintage of 1,000 as well. That one is from Fort Lauderdale Rare Coins (rarecoincollector), who specializes in rare high dollar slabbed pieces.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:

@Exbrit said:

A few recent sales of the Swiss 1 ounce gold put that mintage at 1,000. At least one current eBay auction, for the 1/2 oz Isle of Man, claims a mintage of 1,000 as well. That one is from Fort Lauderdale Rare Coins (rarecoincollector), who specializes in rare high dollar slabbed pieces.

They may be relying on the Mintage number from the regular Angle issues as they are stated, but that isn’t the true representation of how many were actually stuck sometimes. Like I said, Pobjoy is a mess. My suggested is to email the Pobjoy mint and ask them for the mintage. They may give you the authorized maximum Mintage instead of how many were actually struck, but it will give you some indication of how many. They are good at responding to questions.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

Any idea?

Bullion value. No more.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Northeast coin has two of these sets right now for sale.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

Northeast Coin has two like the above OP states and assigns a mintage as well.

Isle Of Man 1989 5 Coin Gold Angel Set Proof $4,250
    Mintage of 3500 sets. Includes box and coa. Areas of the box are peeling off.
    Certification Number: 12234125

Angels are collected. Although thinly.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 8:42AM

A good info source for IoM coins (no mintage for the 1988 Angels...)

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, everyone!

--Severian the Lame