1738 Mo MF 2R - Would you buy it?

Options

Have been looking at some Reales, and would like to hear any opinions about this coin:

Whort buying it?
What grade can get?

Thank you.

Comments

  • SimonW
    SimonW Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2022 3:06PM
    Options

    XF40 unless much of the apparent wear is actually strike weakness, then it might be go as high as an AU. Looks nice, I’d buy it at a reasonable price.

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • BSmith
    BSmith Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    Options

    If it hasn't been cleaned I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

  • WCC
    WCC Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @BSmith said:
    If it hasn't been cleaned I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

    By cleaned do you mean "market acceptable" for a TPG numerical grade?

    Most of these coins have been cleaned, even those in numerically graded holders, at some point.

    In response to the OP, depends upon the price. I consider it to have XF wear and it's a decent looking coin.

  • BSmith
    BSmith Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    Options

    @WCC said:

    @BSmith said:
    If it hasn't been cleaned I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

    By cleaned do you mean "market acceptable" for a TPG numerical grade?

    Most of these coins have been cleaned, even those in numerically graded holders, at some point.

    In response to the OP, depends upon the price. I consider it to have XF wear and it's a decent looking coin.

    I prefer as original as possible but yes I would buy market acceptable.

  • ELuis
    ELuis Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    ^ Thank you all for your comments.

    They are asking 250USD.

    I am trying to put together a set of Reales, one of each for 1/2R, 1R, 2R, 4R & 8R, and a mix of mints if possible and include the best as possible.

  • 291fifth
    291fifth Posts: 25,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I would grade it as VF30, possibly burnished per its appearance in the photos.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • WCC
    WCC Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @ELuis said:
    ^ Thank you all for your comments.

    They are asking 250USD.

    I am trying to put together a set of Reales, one of each for 1/2R, 1R, 2R, 4R & 8R, and a mix of mints if possible and include the best as possible.

    By mix of mints, I'm assuming Mo, LM, PTS, and G?

    If so, I'd buy the 4R or 8R from Guatemala. You'll have a real hard time finding a decent coin from the other three denominations.

    I'd buy the 4R or 8R from PTS. The other three denominations are harder to find nice too, though the 2R is easier than the 1/2R or 1R.

    I'd buy the 1/2R or 1R from Peru. These are easier to find than the 2R nice. Ferdinand VI is also a lot easier to find than Charles III dates, outside of a few.

    Looks like you are looking to buy the Mexico 2R and to complete a denomination set in better quality more affordably, I'd choose it also.

  • SimonW
    SimonW Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I’d do the following if you’re mixing mints:

    1/2 real, Lima
    1 real, Columbia (if you dare! 😂)
    2 Real, Bolivia
    4 Real, Mexico
    8 Real, Guatemala

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • ELuis
    ELuis Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @WCC said:

    @ELuis said:
    ^ Thank you all for your comments.

    They are asking 250USD.

    I am trying to put together a set of Reales, one of each for 1/2R, 1R, 2R, 4R & 8R, and a mix of mints if possible and include the best as possible.

    By mix of mints, I'm assuming Mo, LM, PTS, and G?

    If so, I'd buy the 4R or 8R from Guatemala. You'll have a real hard time finding a decent coin from the other three denominations.

    I'd buy the 4R or 8R from PTS. The other three denominations are harder to find nice too, though the 2R is easier than the 1/2R or 1R.

    I'd buy the 1/2R or 1R from Peru. These are easier to find than the 2R nice. Ferdinand VI is also a lot easier to find than Charles III dates, outside of a few.

    Looks like you are looking to buy the Mexico 2R and to complete a denomination set in better quality more affordably, I'd choose it also.

    Great, will give it a try, if not at least buy some of all these denominations and different mints, and the best ones as possible.

    Thanks!

  • ELuis
    ELuis Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2022 5:53AM
    Options

    @SimonW said:
    I’d do the following if you’re mixing mints:

    1/2 real, Lima
    1 real, Columbia (if you dare! 😂)
    2 Real, Bolivia
    4 Real, Mexico
    8 Real, Guatemala

    By the 1R from Colombia, it is this one?

    If it is, there is one (and guess you mean that will be difficult to find a decent one, at least):

    Now, about the coin I posted, I will pass, will wait for another one.

    Thanks All.

  • WCC
    WCC Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @ELuis said:

    By the 1R from Colombia, it is this one?

    No, he is referring to the 1760, the only pillar date from this mint. I don't know if it is rarer or more common than the one you illustrated. I recall nine are known but most with problems.

  • ELuis
    ELuis Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @WCC said:

    @ELuis said:

    By the 1R from Colombia, it is this one?

    No, he is referring to the 1760, the only pillar date from this mint. I don't know if it is rarer or more common than the one you illustrated. I recall nine are known but most with problems.

    Got it, I see that might be this:

    I do not plan to go for this rare ones (now if I saw one and have the means why not), I simple will fill each of the denominations, it can be of any mint, just want to have a set.

  • WCC
    WCC Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @ELuis said:

    @WCC said:

    @ELuis said:

    By the 1R from Colombia, it is this one?

    No, he is referring to the 1760, the only pillar date from this mint. I don't know if it is rarer or more common than the one you illustrated. I recall nine are known but most with problems.

    Got it, I see that might be this:

    I do not plan to go for this rare ones (now if I saw one and have the means why not), I simple will fill each of the denominations, it can be of any mint, just want to have a set.

    Yes, that's the one, assuming it is actually genuine.

    The difficulty in completing even this limited set across five denominations and four mints is that, excluding 8R and Mexico, most of the others have few "collector coins" in mid-circulated grades.

    There are a few more for relatively common dates like the 1770PTS 4R and LM 1/2R + 1R for some of the 1750's dates, but not much else.

    On eBay for Peru, my saved search shows 48 available. However, only 22 are 1/2R, 1R, 2R, and 4R pillars. The rest are 8R or mostly Jamaican counterstamps. Of these 22, most have something wrong with it.

  • Eddi
    Eddi Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Curious why you are not considering Santiago (So) mint coins?

    "Dos Mundos" type is obviously very difficult, but the Two Pillars type for Carlos III, Carlos IV and Fernando VII are available,
    specially the latter two.

  • ELuis
    ELuis Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @Eddi said:
    Curious why you are not considering Santiago (So) mint coins?

    "Dos Mundos" type is obviously very difficult, but the Two Pillars type for Carlos III, Carlos IV and Fernando VII are available,
    specially the latter two.

    I have, but just one a 1786-So DA 2R Chile, also from Mo and Lima.

    Thanks!