Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Suggestions for displaying and storage of British 1820 Mudie medals

Any Suggestions for displaying and storage of British 1820 Mudie medals?

Not sure if the Dansco blank 41 mm pages will work because of the thickness and relief of the medals

Lighthouse has pages that will hold 41 mm capsules, but not sure that would be good for medals that are not in capsules.

Any thought will be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2022 5:40PM

Back in 1820 when they were made, "coin cabinets" were what everybody used. The velvet-lined box-like album the medals originally came in was designed and intended to be disassembled and placed in a cabinet.

Coin cabinets are kind of unfashionable these days, being that they take up space and aren't very good at protecting coins from oxidation. You also have to be careful that the lining is truly inert and won't damage coins after decades of contact with coins. But it may nevertheless be the most practical solution.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:
    Back in 1820 when they were made, "coin cabinets" were what everybody used. The velvet-lined box-like album the medals originally came in was designed and intended to be disassembled and placed in a cabinet.

Coin cabinets are kind of unfashionable these days, being that they take up space and aren't very good at protecting coins from oxidation. You also have to be careful that the lining is truly inert and won't damage coins after decades of contact with coins. But it may nevertheless be the most practical solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hill I like coin cabinets and have looked at a few in mahogany, I’d rather find something a bit smaller and a bit better protected. If the right one comes along, I’d snap it up, however. Same with the book/album made for the medals back in the 1820s.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.