Home Q & A Forum
Options

Jefferson nickel found when coin roll hunting- is this a struck through coin or another probl

JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 9, 2022 2:33PM in Q & A Forum

Found this Jefferson nickel while coin roll hunting. It appears to me to be struck through. The obverse is rather flat and the reverse is kind of concave like a Bowl. There is no visible date and it doesn't appear to have any PMD from what I can see. I'd appreciate if anyone has an opinion and could possibly identify the actual problem and cause that created this nickel.

Any idea what might be the cause of the blue spot on the obverse of the nickel?

These pictures show a higher magnification of the nickel.

The long black spot is between the back of the neck and the hair braid.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answers

• Options

I don't see any abuse and if grease was a factor, it would have been small areas.

• Options

A possibility

Answers

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because of the abuse, it would be difficult to determine if it was struck thru grease or just worn

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s all damage – looks like a coin has been buffed - removing some of the details. It is not an error coin of any kind I’m sorry to say.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone was killing some time with this one.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone went whiz crazy on the obv, while testing their new dremel tool. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall