Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

CURRENCY GRADING QUESTION

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 9, 2022 8:18PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Can a note graded Very CH UNC 64 PPQ have a wavy edge?

I have a note in a PCGS Currency Holder. If you look down on it from the top edge the note appears to have small waves in it inside of the holder.

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2022 10:17PM

Definitely.
    Back in the day, dealers and collectors alike wanted flat notes, so they ironed the paper wave out. Now, an emphasis is put on original paper qualities, including the natural paper wave found on notes printed while slightly dampened. Having a paper wave is a good thing.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank-you for that information.
    I always thought a bill had to be perfectly flat to be called uncirculated.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I find it a shame that the term "Flat Uncirculated" arose from Australia (or somewhere). Anyway, I still see it used to describe notes on eBay & I guess it was meant as a compliment (that the note laid flat & didn't curl- which is also a red flag/or problem note). But the term is confusing to collectors who don't understand that a note should be original (as made) for EPQ or Q notes. And it can lead to pressing (which is even more unfortunate).

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2023 6:05AM

Yes, but it depends.
    The USA inking process "developed" over the years and changed during the progressive printing of notes.

What you are seeing are the results of the Wet Inking process where notes were printed with a very wet ink then dried to create a light waving. This is Original and natural being a feature not a distraction.

You will not see this on the Dry inking process and those notes should be possess nearly flat fields which provide a great platform for embossing of the seal and serial numbers which usually ends up pronounced, deep and sharp.

• Options
    redseal53redseal53 Posts: 26
    edited July 17, 2023 3:13AM

On the opposite end, many of the 1950A to 1950E, and 1953 series notes have WAVY paper.

Wavy to the point of orange peel surfaces.

Same for $1 1935E to 1935H

• Options
    vonlettowvonlettow Posts: 31 ✭✭

@synchr said:
    Yes, but it depends.
    The USA inking process "developed" over the years and changed during the progressive printing of notes.

What you are seeing are the results of the Wet Inking process where notes were printed with a very wet ink then dried to create a light waving. This is Original and natural being a feature not a distraction.

You will not see this on the Dry inking process and those notes should be possess nearly flat fields which provide a great platform for embossing of the seal and serial numbers which usually ends up pronounced, deep and sharp.

Wet printing referred to the fact that the paper was dampened when printed. The drying of the paper resulted in paper wave.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vonlettow said:

Wet printing referred to the fact that the paper was dampened when printed. The drying of the paper resulted in paper wave.
    100% correct.
    The security paper was dampened twice. Once before each side of the sheet was printed.