Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Five Pound British Note Question

Was this note pulled from circulation for some reason?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing someone thought serial number 29494848 was fancy enough to keep.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Hard to say: people will keep cash for any # of reasons. Once the BoE changed over to polymer (2015) there was a finite time in which you could return the old paper version for a new plastic five. It may be that the owner just missed the deadline & kept it as a souvenir. I don't see anything collectible about it (too circulated). This one is P-391c (Bailey signature). You could ask around re: the EL29 prefix but I doubt its a short run or last prefix. BTW: the BoE may still take the note but you would probably have to mail it to the BoE for a refund (I did this with some old Swedish currency).

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Serial_no_8 said:

Hard to say: people will keep cash for any # of reasons. Once the BoE changed over to polymer (2015) there was a finite time in which you could return the old paper version for a new plastic five. It may be that the owner just missed the deadline & kept it as a souvenir. I don't see anything collectible about it (too circulated). This one is P-391c (Bailey signature). You could ask around re: the EL29 prefix but I doubt its a short run or last prefix. BTW: the BoE may still take the note but you would probably have to mail it to the BoE for a refund (I did this with some old Swedish currency).

Thanks for that. I'm the owner. I was stationed in North Yorkshire at the time. This note found it's way home with me, just because I never spent it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )