Baker Mayfield to the Rams

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Rams claim former No. 1 pick Baker Mayfield off waivers"
https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-claim-former-no-1-pick-baker-mayfield-off-waivers

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I guess it's worth a flyer since Stafford is done with his disastrous season

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 2:57PM

wish him well. unlike others who call him Curtis Armstrong.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

i will be awaiting The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™'s thoughts on this with bated breath

• Options
    edited December 7, 2022 10:25AM

Too bad he doesn't have LBJ OBJ to throw to - :D

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant, Bon appetit!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited December 6, 2022 4:32PM

How's the offensive line on the Rams? No Cooper Kupp to throw to either.......

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 6:47PM

I'll tell you all one thing...... GALIXICO!!!.....The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ has the most intelligent football brain of all time. Since she was a teenager.....With her crush on Terry Bradshaw and her stupid Terry Bradshaw scrapbook.....She always gets it right. She told me at the game on Sunday that the Rams will sign Mayfield....... THEN!.... She told me this morning that the Rams will pickup Mayfield today... She may have some "Insider" knowledge though.....She's in daily contact with the Front Office.....Oh, Well.....she was right!.....Another Thing......At the Rams/Seahawks game on Sunday when the Rams were ahead 23-20 late in the 4th quarter, She said, "The Seahawks aren't very good......Nobody should be losing to the Rams.".....Good for the Rams.....Horrible team.....Anything is an improvement!

• Options
    edited December 7, 2022 8:45AM

@Steven59 said:
    How's the offensive line on the Rams?

They have no offensive line.......It's pathetic..... The Rams have benched all their good offensive players with the exception of Tyler Higbee who is in and out. Mayfield is in for a MASSACRE! OH, GOD!

One More Thing.... The Rams are desperate for a QB at this point.....Last Sunday I saw the absolute worst throw by a QB that I have ever seen.....At one point when the Rams were on the Seahawks 35(?) yard line the Rams QB, Wolford, threw a pass to about the 15(?) yard line DIRECTLY to the Seahawks defender...... There were no other players around......anywhere..... It was like he thought the Seahawk was his reciever!.....I had a direct line of sight on the throw.....Even my dingbat sister-in-law saw it and couldn't believe it!!!......Wolford is history!......

NEWS FLASH!!!!.....The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ just walked in the door........She has informed me that she has ordered a BAKER MAYFIELD Rams jersey for the game on Thursday night!.. She gave two thumbs up and said, "He's not a very good QB but he's my favorite TV commercial guy."..... God Help The Rams!...
    PLEASE?....

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was THRILLED when the Rams won it all last year. So happy for Stafford. And I'm happy that they're bombing this year since that means a great draft pick for my Lions. Right now, the Rams' pick is actually better than Detroit's own. Who would have guessed that a year ago?

• Options
    edited December 6, 2022 8:16PM

I'm happy for the Lions too!.....Goff was my favorite!.... Worst trade since Pappas for Robinson..... Anyone remember that one?....I hope the Lions go all the way some day with Goff.......at least to the playoffs.......Terrible trade.....it wrecked the Rams. I think Goff is the 3rd highest rated QB in the league???.....I believe that the Rams would have won the Super Bowl with Goff last year....Now they're toast..... For years to come.....Stupid trade...Whatever....

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2022 5:56AM

2018 #1 pick in the draft cut by one of the NFL’s bottom teams. Mayfield now finds himself on his 3rd team in 5 years. I was a critic of the pick on draft day and I’ll repeat my thoughts.
    Cleveland liked Johnny Manziel so much they drafted him twice. I’m forever thankful of the Browns and Jets of their choice of QB’s in that draft. I’ll be fans forever.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

3rd team in 5 years.

3rd team in less than eight months!!! :p

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    I'm happy for the Lions too!.....Goff was my favorite!.... Worst trade since Pappas for Robinson..... Anyone remember that one?....I hope the Lions go all the way some day with Goff.......at least to the playoffs.......Terrible trade.....it wrecked the Rams. I think Goff is the 3rd highest rated QB in the league???.....I believe that the Rams would have won the Super Bowl with Goff last year....Now they're toast..... For years to come.....Stupid trade...Whatever....

So you're saying that the SB win wasn't worth it? Fans of some other teams said they would take your current situation if it meant a SB win, but I feel as though your team had won as recently as twenty years ago so it doesn't feel quite the same.

• Options
    edited December 7, 2022 11:44AM

@thisistheshow said:
    >

So you're saying that the SB win wasn't worth it?

EXACTLY!...... The Super Bowl is just one football game......like any other......So the Rams beat the Bengals.... Big Deal........
    I would trade that Super Bowl win for anything just to be able to see a competitive Rams team on the field during the regular season this year.....AND.....As I stated in many posts last year, Goff is the most underrated QB in the league in my opinion. In his last year with the Rams he played with a very severe thumb injury. He could have sat it out but he didn't. Anyway, I thought the trade was horrible and now I'm being proven correct......AGAIN.....I think Goff would have taken the Rams to the Super Bowl last year and be a top contender this year with him at QB. Oh Well......

One more thing..... At this point in the season, the Rams are the worst team in the league. You gotta' be there to see it.....They are hopeless..... All because of that trade. Was a Super Bowl win worth it?.......NO!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:
    >

EXACTLY!...... The Super Bowl is just one football game......like any other......So the Rams beat the Bengals.... Big Deal........
    I would trade that Super Bowl win for anything just to be able to see a competitive Rams team on the field during the regular season this year.....AND.....As I stated in many posts last year, Goff is the most underrated QB in the league in my opinion. In his last year with the Rams he played with a very severe thumb injury. He could have sat it out but he didn't. Anyway, I thought the trade was horrible and now I'm being proven correct......AGAIN.....I think Goff would have taken the Rams to the Super Bowl last year and be a top contender this year with him at QB. Oh Well......

The main point of my question has to do with the difference between the Rams, who won a SB this century, and teams that have not tasted glory in over fifty years or perhaps forever. Those fans have said that they would absolutely love to be in your shoes. Is this difference in perspective because of your "recent" win Kurt Warner making this more recent win not as meaningful? Is it that only a true SB desert will destroy itself gladly for one true taste of the rain?

• Options

Is this difference in perspective because of your "recent" win Kurt Warner making this more recent win not as meaningful?

The answer to your first question is; Yes. I believe the Super Bowl win was not worth it
    The answer to your second question is; Kurt Warner played for the St. Louis Rams. I never cared less about what that team did or didn't do. I'm an LA. Rams fan... The St.Louis Rams mean zip to me.

Hey, Showboat.... Check your PM's. I would like you to post a music video. A SPECIFIC youtube video. Something VERY, VERY, special happened at the Rams/Seahawks game on Sunday......I think everyone here will like it.....I need your help and input. Thanks, Brother!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

H said: "The Super Bowl is just one football game"

It is not just one football game, it is THE game and THE ONLY game that MATTERS. I'd be one of them takers to see a team I like win the SB in trade for them being terrible the next year.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2022 4:56PM

@spacehayduke said:

It is not just one football game, it is THE game and THE ONLY game that MATTERS......

Hey, Spacey....Love ya Brother...... You see it your way, I respect that.....I see it my way. It really doesn't matter either way.....For me?.....I just like going to the game.......Friends, family, A day at the park!.....That's all I care about...... Win or lose?......I couldn't give a rats as*.....What's it to me?

P.S......I have changed my opinion on one thing.......In a previous thread I stated that there is no such thing as a GOAT in any sport.....I was wrong. After watching the Bucs/Saints game Monday night.....Tom Brady is GOD ALMIGHTY THE BEST EVER!!!
    WOW!

• Options

Well in the SB there really isn't a cash incentive for all these millionairs so I'm guessing the competitive juices take over (or not) to be the NFL's BEST TEAM!

"That's because of a provision in the NFL's bargaining agreement with the Players Association. The agreement stipulates players on the winning team earn an extra $150,000 for playing in the Super Bowl, while players on the losing team earn half that amount: $75,000.Feb 13, 2022"

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@spacehayduke said:

It is not just one football game, it is THE game and THE ONLY game that MATTERS......

Hey, Spacey....Love ya Brother...... You see it your way, I respect that.....I see it my way. It really doesn't matter either way.....For me?.....I just like going to the game.......Friends, family, A day at the park!.....That's all I care about...... Win or lose?......I couldn't give a rats as*.....What's it to me?

P.S......I have changed my opinion on one thing.......In a previous thread I stated that there is no such thing as a GOAT in any sport.....I was wrong. After watching the Bucs/Saints game Monday night.....Tom Brady is GOD ALMIGHTY THE BEST EVER!!!
    WOW!

for posterity

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

“So you’re saying the Super Bowl wasn’t worth it?”

Listen board members I’d get a tramp stamp of Bill Belichicks face for just one Super Bowl victory. 😳😳😂😂😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    “So you’re saying the Super Bowl wasn’t worth it?”

Listen board members I’d get a tramp stamp of Bill Belichicks face for just one Super Bowl victory. 😳😳😂😂😂

same reason

• Options
    edited December 9, 2022 12:33AM

@doubledragon said:
    @Hydrant, Bon appetit!

Mighty Tasty Leftovers Tonight At SoFi. Baker Mania....Most over the top excited football crowd I have EVER seen!....EVER!!!....Baker Mania!.....What a BLAST!!!!!

Better Than Eating Crow.....

• Options

17 points and suddenly BM is da hero, good luck with that LA, go with it, ride the wave, live the dream................... Not.

FWIW, that is BM topping out, maxing his potential and the best he will ever be, problem is, 17 points won't win too many games LOL.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2022 8:11PM

.......... Is this difference in

@spacehayduke said:
    17 points and suddenly BM is da hero, good luck with that LA, go with it, ride the wave, live the dream................... Not.

I was there....Close up.....After the winning touchdown, he went over to the bench, got down on his knees and bowed his head.....When he got back on his feet.....He was changed......He was a Man who found a home......The crowd was deliroius...... It was an emotional moment......

Look At That Face!
    A Man On a Mission!
    I hope it works out well for him. 🙏

• Options

@Hydrant said:

.......... Is this difference in

@spacehayduke said:

I was there....Close up.....After the winning touchdown, he went over to the bench, got down on his knees and bowed his head.....When he got back on his feet.....He was changed......He was a Man who found a home......The crowd was deliroius...... It was an emotional moment......

Look At That Face!
    A Man On a Mission!
    I hope it works out well for him. 🙏

As I say H, good luck with that.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2022 4:20PM

Spacey.....I've rethought my previous post. I did not get my point across.... Very muddled......This Is the Point That I was Trying To Make;
    ....There is a saying
    "Humble in victory gracious in defeat" i.e., showcase a high character no matter the result because others are watching and will recognize it. That was Mr. Mayfield on Thursday Night....Humility Personified....
    I've heard that he has an "Attitude". Those issues may very well be behind him now. That's my thinking....We shall see.

It was not an ordinary football game....With under 1:20 on the clock and no time outs he took a season long lackluster/loser
    team 98 yards for the win.....He was inspired. You could feel it in the air....The crowd sensed it....He was going to win that game. He brought the Rams together as a TEAM for the first time all season...... The Team was going to win that game.....You could feel it and you could see it. .For 1:20 seconds his performance was as good or better than any I have ever seen. And I'm not easily impressed. It was one of the two most amazing and COURAGEOUS/EMOTIONAL performances by an athlete that I have ever personally witnessed...The other being Kirk Gibson's walk off homer in the 1988 World Series.... You could sense that one coming too.

YOU HAD TO BE THERE..

Whatever,...I gotta' go now....Little Hydrantette Jenny just burst through the door with urgent news, " Grandpa!... Football is on t.v., Grandma and I are waiting for you!"......GO LIONS!

WE GET THEM HOOKED YOUNG AROUND HERE!

Niners over Goat 28-zip at the half. I'm laughing my as* off!

• Options

Hey @hydrant it sounds like Baker has you cooked! 🤷😂🏈❤️🎸

• Options
    edited December 11, 2022 6:27PM

@thisistheshow said:
    Hey @hydrant it sounds like Baker has you cooked! 🤷😂🏈❤️🎸

I love it Showboat... Great turn of a phrase!

Now, Let's put this whole thing in perspective.
    On Monday night there was a football game.
    The opposing teams were the Bucs and the Saints.
    The Bucs went into the game with a 5-6 record.
    The Saints went into the game with a 4-8 record.
    Late in the 4th quarter the Saints were ahead 16-3.
    The QB for the Bucs was TOM BRADY!
    He engineered a miraculous two touchdown 17-16 win.
    Everyone went nuts.
    Tom is back at 45 years old! The GOAT!

Now flash ahead 3 days.
    On Thursday night there was a football game.
    The opposing teams were the Rams and the Raiders.
    The Rams went into the game with a 3-9 record.
    The Raiders went into the game with a 5-7 record.
    Late in the 4th quarter the Raiders were ahead 16-3.
    The QB for the Rams was Baker Mayfield.
    He engineered a miraculous two touchdown 17-16 win.
    So what?...It was against the lowly Raiders.
    As people on this forum posted.
    Hey, To use use another phrase?
    What's Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander.
    Even if the Gander never played for a Boston team.

CRUNCH. THE. NUMBERS.

YOU. HAD. TO. BE. THERE!

One More Thing.......Jared Goff has had the double misfortune in the eyes of the NFL fan universe for playing in both L.A. and now Detroit. Can't be any good....Can anyboby say MATTHEW STAFFORD?......Hes' not Dak! He's not Tua!, He's not Lamar!,
    etc,etc...
    It's all hype my friends...... Well, Ask any Vikings fan what they think today!......

Hell of a QB!.....Like I said......Ask any Vikings fan today what they think of Goff.....answer?....HUH? WHO? .....HIM?...WHO'S HE?...
    GO LIONS!
    GO NINERS!

Niners over the GOAT 28-ZIP at the half...... And no Jimmy G.!...GEE WIZZ!...I'm laughing my as* off!
    GO NINERS!

Now it's 35-ZIPPAROO!....A ROMP IN THE PARK!

😂😂😂😂

• Options
    edited December 11, 2022 10:51PM

Had a guest over for dinner tonight....... My Insider Source..... The occasion was The Lovely Mrs. Hydrants™ birthday!!!..... She's 39 and holding.😉....
    Anyway, Insider Source told me that Baker Mayfield's 98 yard march down the field was the longest winning TOUCHDOWN (Not Field Goal)
    drive in NFL history with less than 2 minutes left on the clock. I don't know if it's true and I told him so.....Hard to believe. But if it is true.....Well, That's what I mean when I say.....

YOU HAD TO BE THERE!

Check it out....

True or False?

• Options

@Hydrant, I'm sure you're happy about that victory and the performance that he gave, but @spacehayduke is closer to the truth than your enthusiasm. I pretty much watched every down of every game that Baker Mayfield played with the Browns and he isn't as bad as he was in Carolina or as good as he was on that 98 yard drive. If you can muster the patience and objectivity needed to watch game highlights you'll see that he has a tendency to force the ball and that his arm strength is slipping. He doesn't have the forcefulness of years past.

Give him time in LA, his true ability will surface. Baker has a specific skill set that requires the proper use. If that's done he'll be a good manager, if not he'll fall flat before season's end. Whatever the result, one drive in one game is far to little to make a sweeping judgement on any player.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2022 10:54AM

Maywood, I realize that I am obviously not getting my point across. Poor communication skills on my part.......I'll try one more time by addressing the highlights of your post...1) I feel no enthusiasm about Baker Mayfield whatsoever. None. It's not in my nature. I wasn't "enthused" about the Super Bowl last year. It's just a game....nothing else. 2)...You say you watched the game. So did I. But there's a difference. You watched it on a tv screen. I was personally there, very closeup. Big difference....3) You mention his His skill set. I never once have said anything about his abilities as a player. I saw DETERMINATION. Nothing to do with "forcing the ball" ...."arm strength " etc. I was impressed by what I perceived as DETERMINATION on his part. I'm in no way making a sweeping judgement about his ability as a player. I never brought it up.
    And most importantly, if you read my previous posts carefully, I alluded to his actions AFTER the game. Nothing about on the field during the game. After the game he went over to the bench, by himself, got down on his knees and bowed his head. It was a show of HUMILITY. That is what impressed me MOST. His Determination during the game and humility after the game.
    And yes, it was just "one drive." Duh. So what? It was a brief moment in time.....But it was wonderful..... I cherish that moment... That's it. I take away no future expectations from it. None. I have personally been to only two sporting events in my life where I got the sense that something was happening that transcended the play on the field.... Something Different. The Kirk Gibson walk off homer in the 1988 World Series and That moment AFTER the Rams/Raiders game was OVER!....
    ONE MORE TIME....
    YOU. HAD. TO. BE. THERE.
    😵

• Options

@Hydrant, you must have mis-read my post, I didn't watch the game, just highlights of that last drive. Other than that, it's nice to see you aren't enthusisatic about what you saw. I what you're expressing isn't "intense and eager enjoyment, interest, or approval" about what you saw, then what is it??

• Options

I like the term 'game manager' @Maywood used to explain BM's skill set. Teams can win with this kind of qb if they have the talent built around him. But it does imply that there is a plateau of ability (which is why that term is applied to some qb's) and it is likely not to go any further than mid-quality starting QB in the NFL. HST, heck Sam Darnold is now game managing Carolina to wins. Case Keenum game managed the Vikings to an NFC championship by having an impossible game winning throw in the previous game against NO. So BM's last drive shows that even game managers sometimes rise to the occasion. Still pretty exciting that BM did that 98 yard drive to a win.

Best, SH

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Had a guest over for dinner tonight....... My Insider Source..... The occasion was The Lovely Mrs. Hydrants™ birthday!!!..... She's 39 and holding.😉....
    Anyway, Insider Source told me that Baker Mayfield's 98 yard march down the field was the longest winning TOUCHDOWN (Not Field Goal)
    drive in NFL history with less than 2 minutes left on the clock. I don't know if it's true and I told him so.....Hard to believe. But if it is true.....Well, That's what I mean when I say.....

YOU HAD TO BE THERE!

Check it out....

True or False?

• Options

@Hydrant said:

drive in NFL history with less than 2 minutes left on the clock. I don't know if it's true and I told him so.....Hard to believe. But if it is true.....

I was wondering about Elways 98 yard drive in 1987 against the Browns at the end of the game. After looking it back up, there was more than 2 minutes left and that only tied the game, then the Broncos won it in OT.

"Broncos quarterback John Elway, in a span of 5 minutes and 2 seconds, led his team 98 yards in 15 plays to tie the game with 37 seconds left in regulation. Denver won the game in overtime by making a 33-yard field goal, pulling off a 23–20 win over the Cleveland Browns."

• Options
    edited December 12, 2022 6:00PM

@Steven59 said:

I was wondering about Elways 98 yard drive in 1987 against the Browns at the end of the game. After looking it back up, there was more than 2 minutes left.......

My immediate thought after "Insider" told me was about Elway!....Not necessarily that drive you mention.... But I was at Mile High Stadium many years ago and Elway brought the Broncos from way back to victory in the 4th. quarter.....It was magnificent!.... But the best part?.....After the game I was driving out of Denver to Nebraska. God that scenery was Georgeous!

Almost As Georgous As Here In SoCal....Just Not Quite..
    Second Best!....
    EL LAY...

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

God that scenery was Georgeous!

• Options
    edited December 12, 2022 6:19PM

Hey, Galixico......I get it......You couldn't possibly know anything about Gorgeous Scenery....

. Being from West Texas and all?

Sweet Baby Jesus!

Remember The Alamo!

• Options

Baker Mayfield returned to his pedestrian recent self last night in Green Bay. I am at a loss as to how a QB in his mid-late 20's can fall off so fast, in less than the time of one season. I don't see anything wrong with his mechanics and the ball still comes away from him with some zip although his accuracy seems off.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2022 8:54PM

It's not Baker's fault that he is the QB for the worst team in the NFL.....Cut the guy some slack....It's got to be really scary just taking the snap and knowing its a disaster waiting to happen...

Have Pity!...