Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Could use some help with a vintage baseball signed card collection

My dad did TTM autos as a kid. He passed away in 2019, and I'm ready to look at selling this. I really don't know anything about baseball, or vintage cards. I'm a football autograph collector so this is unchartered territory for me.

I did pull out all the names that I know that I plan to put in my PSA/DNA bulk submission. Are there any in this group that would be worth me spending the $10 fee to get authenticated?

I know there's a lot to look through, but I'd appreciate any help I can get. If this is a collection you may be interested in, please let me know

Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt

Comments

• Options
    raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • Options

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I'm no expert, but that Cleon Jones card looks quite nice, and might appeal to an old-school Mets fan, and the Jim Bunning also looks pretty good. The 1962 "rookie parade" card is a relatively rare high series card and is in pretty good shape, so even though the autograph is only Dave Stenhouse's it should have more value than most of the 1960s commons you've got. (You should check the numbers on the other 1962s. Any from 523 to 598 are high series and more likely to have value if in good enough shape.)

Those are the ones that caught my eye, but I don't know the costs involved and whether it would be worth it, so someone more informed should address that. Really impressive collection, despite the relative lack of hall of famers and other stars.

• Options

@GilR said:
    I'm no expert, but that Cleon Jones card looks quite nice, and might appeal to an old-school Mets fan, and the Jim Bunning also looks pretty good. The 1962 "rookie parade" card is a relatively rare high series card and is in pretty good shape, so even though the autograph is only Dave Stenhouse's it should have more value than most of the 1960s commons you've got. (You should check the numbers on the other 1962s. Any from 523 to 598 are high series and more likely to have value if in good enough shape.)

Those are the ones that caught my eye, but I don't know the costs involved and whether it would be worth it, so someone more informed should address that. Really impressive collection, despite the relative lack of hall of famers and other stars.

Thanks for the help. I’ve pulled the 100 or so stars and hall of famers that I know I plan on certifying

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options

Oh, right, you did mention leaving out a bunch of cards. Those would have been neat to see, but obviously a lot of work for you.

I do like the Bunning, even if it's a bit off-center, and as a deceased HOFer it's bound to sell to someone. Though he's lower-tier HOF. (I myself got to meet Bunning in summer 1987 when I was a congressional intern for a few weeks, and he signed a ball, a photo his office gave out of him with the Phillies, and two 1965 Topps cards. It was quite generous of him to take the time, but my congressman was also a Republican, so that certainly didn't hurt.)

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, wow. That's some real TTM love there. Not so sure I'd grade many of them, but the provenance can't be questioned. !!!

• Options

@balco758 said:
    First of all, wow. That's some real TTM love there. Not so sure I'd grade many of them, but the provenance can't be questioned. !!!

To clarify I’m not looking to grade, more authenticate the signature

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry typo. I meant authenticate.

• Options

Getting back to that 1962 rookie parade card, it has minor damage to two corners, but even so without the autograph it's a $20-$30 card, mainly because it's Jim Bouton's rookie card. Here are the prices it's gone for graded (and without autographs):
    https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1962-topps/rookie-parade/summary/183977
    I have no idea what impact a Stenhouse autograph has, since I don't collect autographs, but there can't be too many examples of this card autographed by one of the non-Bouton pitchers, and few will be in even this condition.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 5:28PM

The 1962 Tom Tresh is his RC. He was ROY and a popular NY Yankee. Also Jake Gibbs RC.

i would look at some of the older guys and see when they died (if so). If it was a while ago then that might mean scarcity.

U probably know the hofers.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    The 1962 Tom Tresh is his RC. He was ROY and a popular NY Yankee. Also Jake Gibbs RC.

i would look at some of the older guys and see when they died (if so). If it was a while ago then that might mean scarcity.

U probably know the hofers.

Thanks!!

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

The two of Denny Mclain should fetch at least $25 each authenticated.

A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cards. If you ever want to part with the 61's PM me.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Below is a list of HOFers you showed:

Bunning
    D Williams x2
    Weaver x3
    P niekro x3
    G Perry
    B Robinson
    R Roberts
    Snider
    Slaughter x2
    J Palmer LL
    Trammell

These guys have sniffed the Hall:

R Allen
    T John
    Tiant
    Garvey

And there are a bunch of other All Stars.

I’d be interested in most of the Red Sox if you’re willing to part them out.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '84 Fleer Hubbard sold for over $300 in 9 (unautographed) last year.

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

Bunning
    D Williams x2
    Weaver x3
    P niekro x3
    G Perry
    B Robinson
    R Roberts
    Snider
    Slaughter x2
    J Palmer LL
    Trammell

R Allen
    T John
    Tiant
    Garvey

You missed Billy Williams.

• Options

@daltex said:

Any idea why?

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Herb Score would be collectable also...oh, what might have been....

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd send in the '58 Topps Jim Bunning, '62 Topps Tim McCarver (it's his rookie card), the '63 Fleer Maury Wills (his rookie card), and the '77 Topps Minnie Minoso.

Additionally, if you are selling, I'd be interested in all your San Diego Padre cards.

Steve

• Options

@raiderguy10 said:

@daltex said:

Any idea why?

I'd assume it's low pop because Hubbard was always considered a common, and the snake.

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    I'd send in the '58 Topps Jim Bunning, '62 Topps Tim McCarver (it's his rookie card), the '63 Fleer Maury Wills (his rookie card), and the '77 Topps Minnie Minoso.

Additionally, if you are selling, I'd be interested in all your San Diego Padre cards.

Steve

Appreciate it!

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

Buddy Soloman died relatively young, so I'd get that one slabbed as well...

Impressive collection!

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@DBesse27 said:

Bunning
    D Williams x2
    Weaver x3
    P niekro x3
    G Perry
    B Robinson
    R Roberts
    Snider
    Slaughter x2
    J Palmer LL
    Trammell

R Allen
    T John
    Tiant
    Garvey

You missed Billy Williams.

Oops, thanks. Also Minoso.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I saw a 1960 Topps Bob Nieman. He died in 1985 so that one has some value.

Shane

• Options

@Ironmanfan said:
    Buddy Soloman died relatively young, so I'd get that one slabbed as well...

Impressive collection!

IMF

@frankhardy said:
    I believe I saw a 1960 Topps Bob Nieman. He died in 1985 so that one has some value.

Thanks guy’s appreciate it!!

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

FYI
    Baseballreference.com
    has all the players ever and born and deceased info

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collection! And great advice so far in this thread. The same names stuck out to me as I went through the pics before I scrolled to see the replies. Agreed with the names listed so far. Some of the HOF ones are easier to obtain relative to others so value is more line with availability rather than quality of player, but if they were mine, I'd be subbing all of the HOF regardless (as well as the non-HOF mentioned in the replies). +1 for the 1963 Fleer Wills too ;)

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your 1958 Hobie Landrith is the more valuable yellow name version.

• Options

@nam812 said:

Thanks I would have never even known there’sa difference!

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collection! As stated previously, HOFer and star players along with those who passed away at a young age will be worth the most.
    You might lose some value on the personalized cards.
    Obviously there is interest in some of the team collectors here.
    Thanks for sharing and good luck with your project!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

I saw that and forgot to mention it.

Shane

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

That Glenn Hubbard with the snake was just a fun common forever, but picked up some steam during the pandemic. It's since come back down to 5-10 raw. He still signs regularly for free through the mail, too. But if you're looking to move it, DM me.

You do have some nice autos there!

Some of this has been stated, but if you want a second opinion, these are the ones I'd consider:

HOFers:
    Jim Bunning
    Earl Weaver
    Phil Niekro
    Billy Williams
    Gaylord Perry (passed away last week)
    Brooks Robinson
    Robin Roberts
    Duke Snider (both autos are kinda rough, though)
    Enos "Country" Slaughter
    Minnie Minoso
    Jim Palmer (1977 Victory Leaders - FWIW he signs regularly TTM for $10)
    Alan Trammel

MVPs / Cy Youngs
    Dick Groat
    Rich "Richie" "Dick" Allen (Will probably be HOFer next year)
    Vern Law
    Denny McLain (MVP x3 / CY x2)
    Steve Garvey
    Don Baylor

Retired Numbers
    Billy Pierce (threw a no hitter)
    Jim Wynn (recently deceased)

Rookie Of The Year
    Herb Score
    Harvey Kuenn (Managed the Brewers to only World Series, which is still celebrated here every other month for some reason)
    Don Schwall
    Lou Pinella (Also a manager fan favorite - probable HOFer as a manager)

Others
    Johnny Podres ( World Series MVP / 4 x WS Champ / Threw shut out in Game 7 of Dodgers first ring)
    Mickey Vernon (7x All Star / 2x Batting champ)
    Tommy John (Probable HOFer)
    Frank Crosetti (Was on 7 Yankees World Series Championships)
    Allie Reynolds (Was on 6 Yankees World Series Championships)

• Options

@totallyradd said:
    That Glenn Hubbard with the snake was just a fun common forever, but picked up some steam during the pandemic. It's since come back down to 5-10 raw. He still signs regularly for free through the mail, too. But if you're looking to move it, DM me.

You do have some nice autos there!

Some of this has been stated, but if you want a second opinion, these are the ones I'd consider:

HOFers:
    Jim Bunning
    Earl Weaver
    Phil Niekro
    Billy Williams
    Gaylord Perry (passed away last week)
    Brooks Robinson
    Robin Roberts
    Duke Snider (both autos are kinda rough, though)
    Enos "Country" Slaughter
    Minnie Minoso
    Jim Palmer (1977 Victory Leaders - FWIW he signs regularly TTM for $10)
    Alan Trammel

MVPs / Cy Youngs
    Dick Groat
    Vern Law
    Denny McLain (MVP x3 / CY x2)
    Steve Garvey
    Don Baylor

Retired Numbers
    Billy Pierce (threw a no hitter)
    Jim Wynn (recently deceased)

Rookie Of The Year
    Herb Score
    Harvey Kuenn (Managed the Brewers to only World Series, which is still celebrated here every other month for some reason)
    Don Schwall
    Lou Pinella (Also a manager fan favorite - probable HOFer as a manager)

Others
    Johnny Podres ( World Series MVP / 4 x WS Champ / Threw shut out in Game 7 of Dodgers first ring)
    Mickey Vernon (7x All Star / 2x Batting champ)
    Tommy John (Probable HOFer)
    Frank Crosetti (Was on 7 Yankees World Series Championships)
    Allie Reynolds (Was on 6 Yankees World Series Championships)

Awesome thanks a bunch!!

"In Al We Trust!"

• Options

@totallyradd said:

YMMV, but I wouldn't bet a cent on what any Committee would do or even who would be nominated. I mean let's just say that an awful lot of the guys on the Committee ballots weren't among the most overlooked (and whatever you think of Clemens, Bonds, and Schilling, there is no way you can claim they were overlooked).