Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How are ebay sales going?

I have a few things I'm thinking about listing. I'm just wondering if people are getting decent prices for coins.

Comments

  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I see relatively few true auctions these days. Mostly I see optimistic (high retail) Buy It Now prices. When I have extras in my main set I end up selling them to specialist dealers. If you go the Buy It Now route you at least don't run the risk of the coin selling for way below value.

  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Prices are lower than you'd get at the major auction houses or from dealers. But auctions are sparse enough that it can be tough to fill a lot of holes with world coin auctions on eBay.

    If you are selling, it can be a good option. Prices are a little lower but you don't take as much of a haircut in fees as you do with certain auction houses.

    IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

    How about trying out the BST here for a no-fee no problem experience?

    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I get decent prices for my stuff on eBay. All fixed price listings, I don't do auctions anymore. The downside is waiting for a buyer but that's preferable to me to having stuff go far too cheap because bidders don't show up the week something is listed.

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've never been a big eBay seller and haven't sold much of anything in over 10 years.

    My last sale (a few months ago) was a PCGS MS-64 early 18th century Spanish silver coin and I've sold a few others of this type and a few pillars in the last few years. I don't know if I could have obtained more elsewhere. I priced them to sell without giving it away and sold it quickly.

    I don't compare eBay fees directly to other sources. Yes, it's lower but it should be because the seller is doing all the work.

    I also sold through Great Collections twice. The results were mixed but it's not necessarily a reflection on them. I just didn't know which coins were better to consign with them and which not.

  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WCC said:
    I also sold through Great Collections twice. The results were mixed but it's not necessarily a reflection on them. I just didn't know which coins were better to consign with them and which not.

    I think that's how auctions go in general. Some prices realized are high, and others are lower and it is hard to anticipate which it will be. If you look at a well marketed and well-attended auction, you can still usually find "deals". There might be fewer, on average, but they are there. I think the trick is to be selling enough coins that the variability averages out. When you are only selling a few coins, the variability can be more problematic.

    IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

  • BSmithBSmith Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

    Thank you everyone.> @SaorAlba said:

    How about trying out the BST here for a no-fee no problem experience?

    SaorAlba, thanks, I think I might try the BST.

  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll let you know in a week.


  • BSmithBSmith Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

    Good luck with your auctions. :)

  • BjornBjorn Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

    It seems decent... was doing quite well about 1 year ago, it's backed off a little but prices are still higher than pre-pandemic. Unfortunately, new material is also more expensive at the various auctions and other sources I use...

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @neildrobertson said:

    @WCC said:
    I also sold through Great Collections twice. The results were mixed but it's not necessarily a reflection on them. I just didn't know which coins were better to consign with them and which not.

    I think that's how auctions go in general. Some prices realized are high, and others are lower and it is hard to anticipate which it will be. If you look at a well marketed and well-attended auction, you can still usually find "deals". There might be fewer, on average, but they are there. I think the trick is to be selling enough coins that the variability averages out. When you are only selling a few coins, the variability can be more problematic.

    I believe you are generally correct but for South Africa Union specifically, I infer it's a general lack of demand at the market price, outside of South Africa.

    I don't follow prices closely anymore (since I do not buy this series anymore), but there used to be a wide variance locally versus everywhere else. Not sure how common that is. There just aren't very many collectors in other countries.

  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WCC said:

    @neildrobertson said:

    @WCC said:
    I also sold through Great Collections twice. The results were mixed but it's not necessarily a reflection on them. I just didn't know which coins were better to consign with them and which not.

    I think that's how auctions go in general. Some prices realized are high, and others are lower and it is hard to anticipate which it will be. If you look at a well marketed and well-attended auction, you can still usually find "deals". There might be fewer, on average, but they are there. I think the trick is to be selling enough coins that the variability averages out. When you are only selling a few coins, the variability can be more problematic.

    I believe you are generally correct but for South Africa Union specifically, I infer it's a general lack of demand at the market price, outside of South Africa.

    I don't follow prices closely anymore (since I do not buy this series anymore), but there used to be a wide variance locally versus everywhere else. Not sure how common that is. There just aren't very many collectors in other countries.

    I'm really just talking statistics and not any particular subsection of numismatics.

    IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Sign In or Register to comment.