Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ripped off by PSA

Celtics33Celtics33 Posts: 5
edited December 5, 2022 10:33AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Bought a vintage hockey pack and pulled a Bryan Trottier rookie. Sent it in to PSA and it came back as not the correct size. What a joke this company is. Using Beckett or SGC from now on. PSA SUCKS!

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

So was it the correct size? If not, what did they do wrong exactly?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Celtics33 said:
    Bought a vintage hockey pack and pulled a Bryan Trottier rookie. Sent it in to PSA and it came back as not the correct size. What a joke this company is. Using Beckett or SGC from now on. PSA SUCKS!

Before and after pics ?

Until then no one believes you.

• Options

• Options

Measures 2 1/2 x 3 1/2

• Options

And the wrapper next to the card please.

• Options

Who saves wrappers? That was thrown out.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Since you said you were "ripped off" how much of your money did PSA steal? Maybe show your card next to another from the same set, or did you throw those out too?

• Options
    edited December 3, 2022 1:27PM

Sides looked trimmed.

Sorry. No wrapper no proof.
    That wrapper is worth money
    You threw out money.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    • N6 isn’t charged so not sure how they ripped you off
    • N6 doesn’t mean trimmed. It can come out of a pack like that
    • You can always try to send again. I’ve been successful more than once doing so
    • IBTL
  • Options

can you put a pic up with that card next to a proper sized card. the big pic looks like the top sides are edge cut warp in but it may still be the acid from last night, so checking.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had cards I sent get min size. I resend later then they get slabbed. Had it happen on multiple occasions. PSA like all TPGs are inconsistent on most things. It is is not an exact science

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@rexvos said:
    PSA like all TPGs are inconsistent on most things. It is is not an exact science

ugh.. and that has been the same panzie suckup stuff heard for 25 years. Heh :) it is isn't it ?? The easy way out to support or deny a 'grade' or other.

thanks for your 20 year aged insight rexvos .

heh heh

• Options

I have also had cards pulled out of packs directly myself come back as N6. It's frustrating and sucks, but they don't charge you, so there's at least that.

I've yet to try it, but if you compare the card to other cards in the set, and it really doesn't look smaller compared to them, try submitting it again.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    I have had cards I sent get min size. I resend later then they get slabbed. Had it happen on multiple occasions. PSA like all TPGs are inconsistent on most things. It is is not an exact science

This. I’ve had several (especially from the 70s) straight out of boxes/packs come back Min Size, resend later and get slabbed.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I believe / they are hard on big dollar cards in mint condition/ try again using the lowest dollar they charge

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 6:48PM

@BBBrkrr said:

@rexvos said:

This. I’ve had several (especially from the 70s) straight out of boxes/packs come back Min Size, resend later and get slabbed.

Does it still work like that? I thought their tech now detects resubmits in an effort to prevent fraud.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

@Celtics33 said:

Sorry this happened to you. And I'm sorry for some of the clownish responses you received in this thread. As someone already mentioned, you can try again and it might get slabbed. I've personally had success going that route. Or, you can try a different service as you suggested.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@detroitfan2 said:
    I have no dog in this fight but there is no way anyone can tell if either of those cards have been trimmed based on the pictures provided.

There is a tool that can be used on computers to measure. Suggest everyone look into getting one.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@Goldenage said:

@detroitfan2 said:
    I have no dog in this fight but there is no way anyone can tell if either of those cards have been trimmed based on the pictures provided.

There is a tool that can be used on computers to measure. Suggest everyone look into getting one.

Undersized does not equate to trimmed.

You’re joking right, or you just forgot the “doesn’t always”.

Undersized happens top to bottom 90% of the time. Side to side is usually spot on.

His card appears short side to side.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2022 9:48AM

@Goldenage said:

@PaulMaul said:

@Goldenage said:

@detroitfan2 said:

Undersized happens top to bottom 90% of the time. Side to side is usually spot on.

I didn’t forget anything. I said it doesn’t “equate.” That means:

A.) Not every undersized card is trimmed
    B.) Not every trimmed card is undersized

If the OP says he pulled the card from a pack, I have no reason to think he’s lying, and it is certainly not impossible that he did.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@PaulMaul said:

@Goldenage said:

@detroitfan2 said:

I don't have a dog in this fight either and I'm not a card guy, BUT I'm sure those cards were cut on a rotary slitting machine.
    It's possible to get a Short or long card IF a slitting wheel is not exactly set at the dimension.
    That being said...
    Could be the guys picture but those edges sure don't look like square right angles.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've opened a ton of packs through the years and pulling undersized (or oversized) cards straight from packs is not unusual. Frustrating, yes, but unusual, no. At least, you dont get charged...in cases where the variance is slight, however, you may get it graded if you try again. Not all graders are as strict with the variance.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I've opened a ton of packs through the years and pulling undersized (or oversized) cards straight from packs is not unusual. Frustrating, yes, but unusual, no. At least, you dont get charged...in cases where the variance is slight, however, you may get it graded if you try again. Not all graders are as strict with the variance.

This. Especially the part about not being charged. If you weren’t charged, how were you “ripped off”?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Yeah. I’ve had this happen many times on cards. Especially those from the 70s. Also seems like vending boxes have more this happens with but that just what I’ve seen. I’ve never been charged and always send them back to retry.

• Options

instead of throwing a temper tantrum, try asking a question , get educated on what happened, and enjoy the experience going forward.

If you insist on complaining about anyone, Topps ripped you off, not PSA

This discussion has been closed.