Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Estate sale, pawn shop, thrift store trifecta today. Gold, albums, and supplies

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’ll usually winter months are pretty slow for yard saleing but today I managed to find good stuff.

Estate sale this morning had a half of a trash bag full of loose 2x2s for $3. Useable stuff for cheap

Then to a pawn store for a gold fix.

And then ended up at thrift shop. ( I never find good coin stuff at thrift shops). But this one had four boxes of books, albums, and supplies for $75. Don’t laugh the world coin Whitman albums are going for good money.

Comments

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jackpot, jackpot, and last but not least jackpot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 12:02PM

In honor of the World Cup
    Scoooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun day

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG- LOOK AT THE WHITMAN WORLD ALBUMS IN THE LAST IMAGE

Congrats-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice hauls.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grand SCORE!!
    Sweet!!!!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    OMG- LOOK AT THE WHITMAN WORLD ALBUMS IN THE LAST IMAGE

Congrats-

That pic blew my mind. Over time I've put together a complete set of those foreign Whitman bookshelf albums, they are quite scarce and bring very good money, particularly the Mexican and Philippines books. That was an excellent buy.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Nice! Those 2x2s can be pretty expensive, and so can the books. I also had no idea that Whitman made those world type set albums. By the way, @DNADave , you're one post away from 7,000. Spend it wisely (if it matters to you)!

Young Numismatist

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what used to fill all of those albums? Those foreign titles are quite a find!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I wonder what used to fill all of those albums? Those foreign titles are quite a find!

That’s a good question. The inside has notes that are easily removed, that make me think it could have been a nice quality collection.

I don’t think it was sold locally or I would have seen something. Maybe it stayed in the family or was sold on the net. In any case, I think I’ll make another trip to the thrift shop and look for more.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2022 8:29AM

It would have been real interesting to track down the original owner of those boxes and talk to him. Congrats! Nice find!! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garage sales and Thrift stores are like metal detecting and fishing in the river. You never know what you are going to find or catch. I guess you could salt the same thing about eBay too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file