Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has Anyone Had Cards Damaged by Another Company?

I rarely hear of cards being damaged by other grading companies, but sure enough, the latest order I got back has PSA 10s with damaged corners, and PSA 9s with bent corners that would be impossible for even a novice to miss when submitting their cards...when a person sends in 100 cards that are worth between $75 and $300 or so if they fetch a 10 grade, it seems foolhardy to take front and back photos of each card, but at this point, I don't know if there is any other choice...it's unacceptable that an order of 70 or so cards has 5+ cards that are clearly not in the condition in which I sent them (I use penny sleeves with corners snipped off and then Card Saver 1s). Yes, they are going thru hundreds of thousands of cards a month, but if they are damaging 10% of an order, they need to slow down and ensure every card is encapsulated as it was sent to them. I have included a pic of one of my cards that is now in a PSA 9 holder, which it wouldn't have gotten with the bad upper right corner, so it was either damaged in assembly, or the grader damaged it and tried to mitigate matters by giving it a 9. Neither situation works for me.

As anyone sent a PSA 10 back to PSA that had an obvious defect, such as a bent corner? If so, what did they do for you?

Comments

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2022 4:32PM

I also had one card which has some kind of condensation or something inside the holder, as it looks like a baby in an ultrasound (the light green portion in the middle). This one I will definitely send back to have them reholder it...

• Options

wanted to add one more example (although there are a handful of others in my order) where two corners are damaged in a PSA 10 holder...

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 5:56AM

Here's my before and after

For some reason the images are reversed but you get the idea

• Options

Any cards you feel may have been damaged during the grading process can be reviewed by PSA for free, and if they confirm the damage, they re-holder the card with a correct grade and compensate you for the difference in value. Just go to Customer Request Center and fill out a Quality Assurance Request.

The one card you say has "condensation or something" is most likely just a newton ring, which is extremely common and not a defect - https://blog.psacard.com/2021/11/04/psa-blog-newtons-rings-understanding-the-encapsulation-illusion/

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:

Pack grading is a whole different issue. No matter what anyone here says, wax packs cannot be safely encapsulated. In addition to the “pinching” phenomenon seen with your beautiful WP die cut pack, the gum pokes just seem unfixable. I keep hearing how this or that new holder style has addressed the issue, but then there they are again. Keeping all my favorite packs ungraded for sure.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess Global never figured it out either…

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 11:25AM

Had sgc in my last order 2 of 70 had extra damage. One was a cm crease on a mid grade HOFer . And one was extra chipping of 1 inch on a 1962 topps HOFer. Have before pics of both but didn’t pursue. Grades were average also.

• Options

@coinspacks said:

For some reason the images are reversed but you get the idea

Yep -- I too had issues a couple years back with a dozen or so Star Wars 1977 packs...they squished the damn packs into the too-narrow holders they were using and pretty much every pack then had wrinkles and such from when they squished them into the holders...so frustrating, irritating, you name it...unacceptable for sure...one would think that when the encapsulator person squished the first one in and saw what he/she was doing to the pack, they would have stopped and figured out a different solution or talk to a mgr, etc...nope, just keep squishing them in and ruining the packs

• Options

@handyman said:
    Had sgc in my last order 2 of 70 had extra damage. One was a cm crease on a mid grade HOFer . And one was extra chipping of 1 inch on a 1962 topps HOFer. Have before pics of both but didn’t pursue. Grades were average also.

I need to start taking a lot of pics of the better cards I submit as this damage stuff is still happening way too frequently...

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is inevitable as the company tries to speed up the grading process. unfortunate

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Going through a damage card process with PSA. It happens especially with all the new hires. I did take a scan of all cards front and back.

• Options

@GoDodgersFan said:
    Going through a damage card process with PSA. It happens especially with all the new hires. I did take a scan of all cards front and back.

a good idea for sure, especially if the cards have some good value to them...we have to be able to prove the damage is happening at PSA

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Yup, I have had plenty damaged. One specific sub was a bunch of gorgeous 1975 OPC baseball. A bunch came back PSA 4. Not worth keeping in the holder and when I took them out, there were what appeared to be thumb nail marks in the same spot on every card. Second was a rare wrestling card. Turned a $500 card into a $75 card. Ooops! I did not complain. Wasn't worth it because 99% of the time a company is not going to admit fault.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@yankeeno7 said:
    Yup, I have had plenty damaged. One specific sub was a bunch of gorgeous 1975 OPC baseball. A bunch came back PSA 4. Not worth keeping in the holder and when I took them out, there were what appeared to be thumb nail marks in the same spot on every card. Second was a rare wrestling card. Turned a $500 card into a $75 card. Ooops! I did not complain. Wasn't worth it because 99% of the time a company is not going to admit fault.

are you willing to share what wrestling card that happened to?

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was at a chantilly show about 5 years ago and SGC was there. someone had their 1961 mickey mantle indented by the holder. The SGC guy told the customer that they would make it right for him.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

@wrestlingcardking said:

1986 Carnation Rick Martel. Was an easy 9. Big jam upper left corner and they gave it a 7.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@yankeeno7 said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

1986 Carnation Rick Martel. Was an easy 9. Big jam upper left corner and they gave it a 7.

Ugh! Sorry to hear that.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2022 10:30AM

Getting tired of these emails from PSA. The time before this, I probably only took a hit of $20 or $30. This time was more painful:

"I am emailing you regarding one of your PSA Submissions, which we are working on getting back to you. Unfortunately, one of your items incurred damage and we apologize for the frequency of this issue.

Original Unverified Grade: 9
    Current PSA Grade: 4

As per our policy, we would like to credit the market value of the card towards this order, as well as remove the respective grading fee of $x, for a total credit of $x to be applied towards the order for this item."

Their stated market value was only a small percentage of realistic market value. The offered settlement amount was based on their perceived market value, not on my stated declared value. With the card getting a 9 as I subbed it, it would have sold for 10x what they said was market value.

A sad note from their message is that they are apologizing for "the frequency of this issue" :s

The order had been sitting in Q2 stage for many weeks so I had been beginning to worry.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad this keeps happening. Not sure what stage that’s causing this damage. But the damage seems to be on the same spot on different cards and in different orders.

I had sgc damage my order last time I used them.
    Hope something changes.