Home Q & A Forum
Options

What to do with fake Chinese coins?

Hi Everyone, I would appreciate some advice. I have been a US dime collector for a while but started collecting Chinese coins (mostly modern). I purchased a group of what I thought were silver 1 teal coins, but when I got them it was clear they weren't silver. They were all magnetic and didn't look quite right. I was able to get my money back and the seller didn't want the coins returned. Do I stamp them as "copy" ? Can I sell them as replica coins if I clearly state they are replica or reproductions? They have a really great dragon or other ornamental design on them. I'm sure someone would like to have them, but I don't want what happened to me to happen to someone else. Is there a right or wrong way to move forward?

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deface them with a permanent mark. Landfill. Keep them as study pieces ( a legitimate reason in my opinion).

YouDid the right thing about immediately getting a refund. I don't know the situation, but many times if sellers don't want the coins returned, unless they have to pay return postage, they know its a fake so file that away (sorry for the comment if you already know that, but maybe it can help new collectors).

Hope that helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DaveZoll Welcome. I had assorted fake Chinese silver trade dollars. I used a die punch set to deface "COPY" on each one. I gave them away to fellow collectors as study pieces. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Oldhoopster and @Namvet69 Thank you for responding to this post. I'll move forward with marking them as a copy and probably give them out to kids at the first coin show I'm setting up for in early 2023. Really appreciate the feedback.