Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is a Vintage PSA special around the corner?

I have been wondering if a vintage offering would be coming and then today I see the non-sports card offering plus the modern has been extended another month.

For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to pull together some cards for a modern submission but it hasn't been as easy as I would think. I know that if a vintage offer came out I would have literally hundreds of cards that I would like to submit.

I would also think that from a PSA perspective, it must be easier for them to grade a vintage card at a lower cost. The research has to be easier. The cost of labeling, holdering, etc is all the same I would assume. I would actually think that the grading should be easier on a vintage card. With the modern it is much harder to determine centering, the surface is much more prone to scratch/smudge/fingerprint/etc. Does it simply come down to that there as so many more modern cards and that's where the money is?

For my vintage that I would like to submit I probably would do a $15 like they are offering currently for the modern but obviously would like a lower cost such as $10-$12. I know costs go up and we will never see the prices of the past, but for some cards it simply doesn't make sense. I personally believe that every vintage card such as a Mantle/May/Aaron/etc should be holdered because they are titans of the game and there are probably in the realm of thousands of these cards as opposed to millions of cards for the stars of today. I have some of these stars that I know would only be a PSA 1 but I would still pay the $10 to put them in a holder ... but that's just me.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my recent submittal for the Modern special they have flown through a LOT faster than any Vintage submission I've ever done. I sent in a Modern Special of 100 cards that arrived on November 10 that's already in Assembly. A National Special I sent that was received August 15 just got out of Assembly yesterday.

Anecdotal, but maybe it's faster for them to grade Modern. These are about the only Moderns I'll submit, but I have a few hundred Vintage I'll submit when they drop the price.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will need to counter the SGC $9 special in some way.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would absolutely love a pre-WWII special.

I have more than two dozen T205s and T207s I need to get graded.

Steve

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doubt it. Think most of the new graders do ultra-modern and are experts in the subtle differences between 8s, 9s and 10s that are all mint to the naked eye. Put them on vintage and nothing comes back higher than a 4. Tough to find ultra-modern 4s to show but found this 6 when looking on E-Bay. Want your vintage graded like this?

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

My guess is they currently do not have enough graders trained to properly grade pre 1980 cards. Submissions with post 1980 cards seem to be flying through. Submissions with pre 1980 seem to be stuck in grading. I personally would rather wait until they have people properly trained in grading vintage cards before they open the floodgates. Once they do I'd love to see a $10 deal to get all those 60's and 70's commons graded.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

Wait, what, I cannot find it.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The economy is really getting hammered right now. The TPG companies have equipped themselves for a 2020 influx and that economy was way better than right now. I would expect some big time grading specials coming up for first of the year or they will have to start job cuts, unfortunately.

this applies to all of them not just PSA.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@johfr said:
    My guess is they currently do not have enough graders trained to properly grade pre 1980 cards. Submissions with post 1980 cards seem to be flying through. Submissions with pre 1980 seem to be stuck in grading. I personally would rather wait until they have people properly trained in grading vintage cards before they open the floodgates. Once they do I'd love to see a $10 deal to get all those 60's and 70's commons graded.

I agree. Maybe they actually listened to us when we were all complaining of vintage cards being severely undergraded over the past 1.5 years.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@swish54 said:

@johfr said:

I agree. Maybe they actually listened to us when we were all complaining of vintage cards being severely undergraded over the past 1.5 years.

census medians must be maintained.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

Is this something your insinuating SGC will do some time in the future, or do you have specific info? Can't find anything on their site.

Thanks

Neil

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

No question the vast majority of new graders (90% maybe) have been trained only to grade modern. Pricing should come down once the NJ facility is opened.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options

That deal is only for 2022 Bowman Chrome only.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 12:11PM

@Cakes said:

That deal is only for 2022 Bowman Chrome only.

They teamed up with topps to grade bowman chrome?

#ClownWorld

• Options

I think Topps has owned Bowman for years.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

no way I am sending vintage to the current TPG graders, especially PSA.