Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some Peru Pillars Varieties

AchoriAchori Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
edited December 1, 2022 7:22AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here is one of the Peruvian pillar minor I have in my collection, this variety is listed on Yonakas book as R4 one example observed. 1761 Lima 1 real mintmark dotted, which is very clear as shown on the picture.

Comments

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Nice find!!!

Thank you

@SimonW said:
    Nice!!!

Thanks, nice piece, yours is the no dot variety.

• Options

Correct, no dots for me! It's cool that you found a new variety. It's not uncommon among the Peru pillars, there's so few surviving that most coins extant are from different die pairs anyway, yours is just way cooler because it's very obvious!

• Options

Except the 1772 4 reales, evidently they're all from the same die pair. Over thirty and counting.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2022 9:36PM

Post more stuff please! Your 1767 bolivia one real is incredible too!

• Options

A quick run through ACsearch doesn't yield any other "with dot" examples. Good find - did you recognize the variety in real time or did you realize it afterwards?

• Options
    edited November 30, 2022 11:58PM

Yonaka does list this variety, it's L1-61b, only one example observed. If you haven't yet sent him this image, you might want to. Looks like the one he's got listed is from a Cayón sale, 11247. The image is crap. It would help confirm the MA ligature, which is clearly present on your example.

• Options

@SimonW said:
    Yonaka does list this variety, it's L1-61b, only one example observed. If you haven't yet sent him this image, you might want to. Looks like the one he's got listed is from a Cayón sale, 11247. The image is crap. It would help confirm the MA ligature, which is clearly present on your example.

You are right, for some reason I went to look on his 1/2 real section instead of the 1 real, I will make a correction. He listed it as R4. I am sending him an email with the photo of it.

Thank you

• Options

@realeswatcher said:
    A quick run through ACsearch doesn't yield any other "with dot" examples. Good find - did you recognize the variety in real time or did you realize it afterwards?

Yonaka listed that variety as R4, I already had a 1761 in nicer condition, but couldn't pass on this variety

• Options

😳

Wherever did you find that? 👏👏👏

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:
    😳

Probably from Great Collections. I saw it a few days ago on a search. Sold for a paltry $97. (It's a PCGS VF-30.) Previously sold ungraded by Sedwick sometime before 2010.

I think some of the apparent wear might be a weak strike but not sure about that. It's a very nice coin for a very tough date.

Yes, I missed it both times too.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few die varieties. I own both the JD and JM assayers for the 1755 1/2R. Also, the 1761 and 1761/0 for the 1/2R. Also, two of the 1757 2R. I haven't looked closely at the rest of my duplicates.

• Options

@SimonW said:
    😳

I got the 1767 on great collections, and the 1 real from a dealer.

• Options

@WCC said:
    I have a few die varieties. I own both the JD and JM assayers for the 1755 1/2R. Also, the 1761 and 1761/0 for the 1/2R. Also, two of the 1757 2R. I haven't looked closely at the rest of my duplicates.

You have an amazing pillar collection, I am not much into varieties, but whenever I find a nice one I add it to the collection.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins thanks for sharing!!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited December 4, 2022 9:36PM

@Eddi said:
    Nice Lima 1761 1R, Bill. I really like those little Columnarios.

I was curious about your comment ref. the1R 1761 'dotted' variety, so I went to look a pictures of this example from my collection. It also seems to be dotted on both sides of the date. Actually, on the right side it seems to be 'double- dotted'

I do not have yet Yonaka's book ( I should) - does he mention a double dotted variety?
    The last digit of the date on this example also seems to be over struck.

(pics also show a Guatemala 1R)

Yes Eddi, I would recommend the Yonaka book.

Your coin is the L1-61a, a very interesting variety, he’s got it listed as five known. Might be an overdate, really cool variety with the two pellets.

Your Guatemala is G1-62, eight examples observed by Yonaka.

Both wonderful pieces! Many collectors here would be interested in either one.

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2022 8:06AM

Simon, thank you very much for the information - that is very interesting.

I'll have to make sure to get a copy of Brad Yonaka's book the next time i am in the U.S.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the Yonaka's book it is mentioned here for reference a lot, I am not familiar with the book, I saw this below with spiral at 90USD on a show, it is an original?

• Options
    edited December 5, 2022 9:09AM

I think that’s the first version for the Mexico pillars. He’s reprinted it since then and included the 8 reales as well. The one I have is hardbound.

There’s another one that’s specifically for Guatemala, Bolivia, Peru etc. That’s the one you need in this post.

• Options

In stock, $75

• Options

@SimonW said:
    In stock, $75

Thanks!

• Options

@Eddi said:
    Nice Lima 1761 1R, Bill. I really like those little Columnarios.

I was curious about your comment ref. the1R 1761 'dotted' variety, so I went to look a pictures of this example from my collection. It also seems to be dotted on both sides of the date. Actually, on the right side it seems to be 'double- dotted'

I do not have yet Yonaka's book ( I should) - does he mention a double dotted variety?
    The last digit of the date on this example also seems to be over struck.

(pics also show a Guatemala 1R)

Thank you Edward! Nice examples you shared we us, nice two pellets variety on your Lima. On my 1761 I meant a dot over the L on mint mark. Nice Guatemala pillar as well. I recommend the Yonaka book for reference, its the next and updated reference after Gilboy.

Saludos!

• Options

@ELuis said:
    I see the Yonaka's book it is mentioned here for reference a lot, I am not familiar with the book, I saw this below with spiral at 90USD on a show, it is an original?

He has the one for Mexico mint, and then the last one was for the other Latin America mints.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2022 7:18AM

Previously unlisted as far as I can tell. There's no MA ligature.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:

@ELuis said:

Excellent, thank you!