Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Can PCGS include an explanation of what changes were made when the composition changes?

I often see in my "activity" that a set has gone up or down because of "set composition was changed." Why doesn't PCGS explain what the changes it made?

Best Answer

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

@Murphey said:
    That is not an explanation, simply a supposition...I would like PCGS to respond.

Don't hold Your breath for a PCGS response here - it's unlikely to happen

I have asked them the same thing - "that's how it's always been done and it will stay that way" was the answer

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

Answers

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2022 11:06AM

Pretty sure it shows that whenever a member upgrades or adds a new coin to his set. Now whenever someone adds a new top pop coin all those other sets get adjusted but you can not see which coin was down graded in there set but show composition was changed.....Always been that way and would be nice if pcgs could show which coin lost points in that persons set.

Or maybe your saying that pcgs is changing the requirements on a set which means they added a new coin or variety to that set? I just looked and it shows updated when a set get a bump up or down.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

That is not an explanation, simply a supposition...I would like PCGS to respond.

• Options
    MurpheyMurphey Posts: 44 ✭✭

I will not hold my breath...

• Options

I've asked that question of PCGS also. I would also like to be enlightened as to what was wrong with a coin to get a "details or not gradable" grade, sometimes it seems very subjective. I do agree with RadioContestKing'e explanation. I will be asking the question again at the December 5th Las Vegas Show.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skamieniecki said:
    I've asked that question of PCGS also. I would also like to be enlightened as to what was wrong with a coin to get a "details or not gradable" grade, sometimes it seems very subjective. I do agree with RadioContestKing'e explanation. I will be asking the question again at the December 5th Las Vegas Show.

So now it's Dec 12th, what did you find out???

• Options
    oldsmagnetoldsmagnet Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

@skamieniecki said:
    I would also like to be enlightened as to what was wrong with a coin to get a "details or not gradable" grade,

>
    Not sure if this fully addresses your question, but it might give some extra insights
    https://www.pcgs.com/news/whats-a-pcgs-no-grade-coin

Although I'm curious if these shows give legitimate opportunities to chat one-on-one with some of the 'important' people... Probably be quicker than trying to call or email...

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@skamieniecki said:

So now it's Dec 12th, what did you find out???

Nothing new I'm afraid, no one I could speak to at the PCGS submission table had the expertise to answer the question.