Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

SGC Poppage Including Key Cards Opened as a Youth

I know this is a PSA board, but I respectfully thought I'd share my recent 20 card SGC submission with you, since frankly no one else I know cares :-). Took the cards to the post office on Monday, November 21. Grades posted today and cards are on their way back. Here is the list of cards with my projected grade and the actual grade:

The following are some cards that I picked up over time raw before grading even existed just because I thought they were cool to have:

And the following are cards I literally took out of a pack as a "yute":

Thanks for looking!

-Tom

Comments

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2022 6:45PM

Wrong Company... :p

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cards

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, sweet! My fave is the Cochrane.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! That T206 Chance card is impressive, looks great in the "tux".

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Nice cards, btw.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was wrong with the (other) Marino? Also pack pulled?

• fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

Nice batch of cards, the Campbell is a favorite football card from my childhood.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2022 7:53PM

Thanks for the comments. The Marino was not pack pulled. It was part of a collection I bought a few years back. It came back evidence of trimming. I sent it in because it was a perfect card with a production flaw which I can best describe as this: imagine the front and back of the cards being 2 separate pieces of paper that are glued together and in that process a small piece of something got stuck in between causing a small bump in the card. Not sure why anyone would trim it given that surface issue, but I was curious what it would grade given everything else seemed perfect.

The 3 1987 Jordans were also an experiment. All 3 were identical, essentially perfect except that one had a very noticeable print defect. If I'm being honest, I thought these were all 3 "9" material with one being a "9 PD" if sent to PSA when they were using qualifiers. At $20 a card, I thought I would grade them with SGC hoping for a 9.5. Here are the 3 cards:

I don't know what to say, I don't see how the one with the diagonal print lines graded the same as the one without. I also don't know what's wrong with the 8.5 or the other 7 for that matter.

It's also a bit maddening to me that our industry has a grading system where there is only a one grade difference between these 2 cards:

Finally, I will say that as exciting as it is to see grades pop, I can't see myself sending in too many more high grade cards, because there's just no way in hades that these 2 cards are identical in condition:

Nor is there any way that the 87 Fleer Jordan without the print defects is a lesser condition card than the 1979 Campbell. There just isn't :-).