Home Sports Talk

World Cup related deaths between 400-400

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw a story on ESPN that an official has put worker deaths related to the building projects for the 2022 world cup between 4-500!!! that seems absolutely insane to me.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t to me.
    I understand their way of life.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no such thing as safety regulations in alot of these countries, so like Gold said its no surprise to me either

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

OSHA definitely doesn't exist there.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    OSHA definitely doesn't exist there.

thats for sure!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you heard 500 you haven't heard the almost 7k that the rest of the world is reporting....

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

These are just the number of deaths we are looking at. Think about the ones that will have long term health problems due to unsafe working conditions. Imagine the toxic chemicals they had to be near and exposed to. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Some people think it is the fault of the worker who came over to Qatar for work in the first place. They could have easily stayed home. However, these people are impoverished and just want to work, earn money, and send money back home to their families.

Hopefully this brings some awareness to the world, in particular the United States, that having no regulations for working conditions is inhumane.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2022 11:58PM

@DrBuster said:
    If you heard 500 you haven't heard the almost 7k that the rest of the world is reporting....

Here is a German new article regarding that one must look at the actual numbers with some caution. The actual source matters and the constitution of those numbers are also important. For example, are those deaths all from people while working on World Cup related buildings or were those the total deaths of all guest workers in the country. Perhaps one can argue that guest workers are people of generally good health or else they would not be able to work in the first place, so any deaths during one's prime working age is suspect.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

no, i haven't heard 7k have died. that is absolutely terrible.

If true, there is no way any sporting event is worth such loss of life.

@craig44 said:

@DrBuster said:

no, i haven't heard 7k have died. that is absolutely terrible.

If true, there is no way any sporting event is worth such loss of life.

It should never be there in the first place or ever again

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stadiums/infrastructure built around the world directly before major international events are always a large burden on the the people who live in these areas and work on these projects. Even in the US, though it is not our work safety that is in question but rather the economic and social impacts.