Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is highest Premium you paid for CAC Coin?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

What is highest Premium you paid for CAC Coin?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 29, 2022 7:07PM
    25%

As a Ballpark estimate 25%.

Premium over non CAC coin.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25%

Usually willing to go 10-30% so went with 25%.

• Options
    Zero

Never bought one.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2022 6:29PM
    50%

There’s a lot of variables to be considered to answer this question with a simple percentage. I originally voted 50% because of a recent purchase of draped bust gold piece. I looked at recent sales and saw that the price I paid is about 35% higher than another example in the same year and technical grade that sold this year.(Probably should have voted 25% since it’s closer)

What are we defining as the “premium”? The price difference over a bottom of the barrel example at the lowest possible end of the price spectrum? Most of the time, I would say 10-20% in my areas of interest. It just happens that this series is one of the ones where CAC makes a BIG difference in sale price. That being said, I believe the coin that I purchased would bring a decent “premium” over the other example even if it had no sticker.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the CAC coins I have I sent in, so generally zero, although, most of those coins were already premium coins so I may have paid a premium at the time of purchase.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25%

Hard to know for sure as I buy a coin because I like it. The price with the sticker vs without it would be a guess. I haven’t seen any dealers saying since this coin has a sticker I am charging $X more for it.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

I've owned 5 or so Walkers and never paid more than I wanted to pay for the coin's sake, not for the sticker. Now I have paid close to PCGS coin prices for Walkers in PCGS holders, but do not pay near that guide for raw. I'll pass b4 paying retail for an ungraded coin. I will add that that very premise is hard to uphold when buying/selling Early American Coppers.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    25%

For Me: The CAC Premium per CDN App would be the difference between CPG CAC - Non CAC MV. Or like for example one paid $250 for a CAC coin vs $200 non CAC. So that 25 pct. Premium. Just asking for your ballpark best estimate.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coin. Many are worth stepping up for.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    25%

Oh yes for sure.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Premium compared to what exactly? PCGS retail estimates (which have really lagged lately)?

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25%

I don't know anything about EAC but need a couple of pieces for my type set... Was well worth the money to ensure I wasn't getting problem coin.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2022 6:56PM
    25%

I use CPG as it has CAC and non CAC.

A $20 1927 MS65 CAC listed CPG is 3500. A non CAC piece shown at 2620. I buy a 65 CAC for 3300. I paid 26pct premium (3300 / 2620) for it over MV of non CAC piece.

It’s not an exact science just asking for your best rough estimate on the poll.

• Options
    25%

You can use what you want as a basis as for as my Calc above I just like compare apples to apples.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

I have never bought one.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

I’m with @TPRC , I’ve paid premiums for premium coins. Never for a sticker.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2022 7:17PM
    25%

I bought a few CAC in 2019 but all sold out. I am currently retooling on US Classic Coins. I am curious when the CACG come out how much they will be. I bought an NGC 1953-D MS64 FBL 50c nice blazer (non CAC) from this wholesaler for $27 at show setup at a week ago. I guess I am a big spender.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25%

But...it was (still is) a GOLD CAC.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    100% or more.

Agree with Crusty that it depends on the series/rarity and also many other factors. But I would say the average would be 25-50% though again I'm also buying rarer type, branch mint, etc., not Morgans or issues with literally innumerable stickered examples.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50%

A related question to consider - what’s the biggest premium you’ve ever paid for a non-CAC coin?

When you find a PQ coin, you generally have to pay up for it - it’s going to sell for more than an average example regardless of sticker status!

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% or more.

Yes, just did on Sunday.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since Gold coins tend to have low percentages that merit CAC stickers, presumably due to surface issues, those that do merit CAC stickers tend to sell at high “premiums” compared to others in those same grades that fail to get a CAC sticker. So is that price differential actual a “premium”, or is one truly paying only fair value for presumably a higher quality coin? For those of us that buy gold coins with CAC stickers, in our minds we’re not paying a “premium” at all!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

I will pay a premium if and only if the coin deserves it.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    AdamLAdamL Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Zero

I only own 3 CAC'd coins, and I didn't pay more than normal NGC/PCGS slabbed prices for them.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25%

It wasn't over 25% it was barely noticeable

• Options
    Zero

Exactly what it's worth.....0%.

Additionally I won't associate with dealers or private sellers that patronize and exploit this greed and ego based cancer in numismatics.

There should be a minus percentage vote!

It's the most ridiculous, pointless, valueless thing collectors have been duped into in the history of numismatics.

I much prefer the pride of interpersonal education and knowledge over purchasing a subjective, ever changing opinion with absolutely zero accountability just to stroke my ego or take an extra dollar from my fellow collector.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

By a premium for a CAC coin, are you referring to paying a premium over the CAC price guide?

Here is the tricky part.

Take a NGC+ coin with a CAC. Does one use the the CAC price guide, the NGC price guide, or the NGC+ price guide in determining a reasonable price to pay for the coin?

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50%

@DisneyFan said:
    By a premium for a CAC coin, are you referring to paying a premium over the CAC price guide?

Here is the tricky part.

Take a NGC+ coin with a CAC. Does one use the the CAC price guide, the NGC price guide, or the NGC+ price guide in determining a reasonable price to pay for the coin?

None of the above. One would use recent auction results…

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

My collecting interests have been more eclectic the past 15+ years and not really grade focused. So none of my purchases have had CAC stickers. I am not avoiding them specifically, just not a requirement - and rarely encountered - in coins that I want. Would I pay a premium? Perhaps, if the coin warranted the price. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

What's CAC??

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

I think I have a couple of CAC's

somewhere.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

I have 3, 1 I got from @winesteven so that one had pedigree :) the other 2, I paid a fair price or what I believed was a fair price. I didn’t see a price difference between the CAC and non CAC coin.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

@J2035 said:

@DisneyFan said:

Here is the tricky part.

None of the above. One would use recent auction results…

What if it rarely comes up at auctions? Especially a NGC+

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2022 8:06AM

I generally agree with TomB. I have purchased a coin primarily because it had a CAC sticker only once. That coin had been dipped and had retoned with colorful peripheral toning, but it didn't 'speak to me'. The light wear (an EF40 in terms of wear graded as VF35), the CAC sticker, and the very reasonable price for a stickered coin were what convinced me to buy the coin. In this case, I purchased the coin as a "nice" rare coin (1852-O half) that, when the time comes to sell, I could sell easily for a profit given its low price and the popularity of CAC coins with other collectors. There was no discernable premium for CAC in this case based upon the auction prices for VF35 and EF40 1852-Os at that time.

Another time at the 2020 FUN show, my first coin show in decades, I sat down in front of a group of CAC coins to see what all the hoopla was about over CAC. I ended up paying about a 25% premium over price guide for an 1849-O half in XF45, but the coin was beautiful, and I would have paid that anyway, CAC or no CAC.

CAC provides some reassurance that a coin I like is a quality coin and I'll be able to recover my costs better someday.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25%

Lately, I have been paying at or a little over PCGS price guide numbers. These are for higher end PCGS graded coins that are CAC and non-CAC. Sometimes I just have to pay a bit more, 10 to 20% above, but never more than that. So that’s pretty much my guide. And usually there’s a little wiggle room to negotiate downward. As I’ve said before, if you see it and it’s in your comfort zone, buy it. In the long run you’ll be happy you did. And remember, someone else will love it as much as you and it’ll be gone. I always remember the ones I let get away and regret it!

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25%

I answered 25% although 10-15% would be more like it.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Zero

I have yet to buy a CAC certified coin, but would if the situation was right.....

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

All else being equal (which it never is), I'll pay more for the coin with a CAC sticker than the identical coin without it, because it will be easier to sell someday.

But there are CAC-stickered coins I have refused to buy, because I found the coin ugly. And I would not pay as much for a CAC-stickered coin that I felt was not as high grade as a non-CAC coin that had been given the same grade.

In general, I will pay somewhere between the price-guide value for that coin in that grade, and that coin in the next higher grade, for a CAC sticker, if the coin has eye appeal to me, and if I agree that it is strong for the grade.

• Options
    25%

I simply calculate how much premium I paid for a CAC coin as the amount I paid over the non CAC price.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC publishes a price list specifically for this reason. Additionally the Greysheet has CAC values for many coins as well.
    I've never been able to buy a slabbed and stickered coin because I find those prices obscene. I've sols a few and smart buyers have not delayed in the buying process.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

I always buy the coin and not the holder. Beaned or not, if a coin deserves a premium, I pay a premium. I won't buy a sticker just for the sticker.

I mostly buy raw coins anyway.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    Zero

Never bought a coin just for the sticker. As others have said it depends entirely on the coin.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero

I voted 0% but possibly 10-20% over, not really sure, I’m a little spoiled at work, usually the CAC sticker is a freebie when I get one. B)

• Options
    edited November 29, 2022 8:09PM
    25%

Thanks for your input. It gives me a nice big picture unbiased overview…..of something been wondering.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly can't answer the question. I stretch for premium coins, and coins I really need. Sometimes they have CAC stickers, and sometimes they do not. I have never looked at the sticker and decided that I wanted to spend more.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25%

@Cougar1978 said:
    As a Ballpark estimate 25%.

Premium over non CAC coin.

Ditto.

it was for my 1916 PO 01 SLQ and did not mind forking out the 25% premium for the green sticker as a reaffirmation that it was indeed a 1916.

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Zero

@jfriedm56 said:
    Lately, I have been paying at or a little over PCGS price guide numbers. These are for higher end PCGS graded coins that are CAC and non-CAC. Sometimes I just have to pay a bit more, 10 to 20% above, but never more than that. So that’s pretty much my guide. And usually there’s a little wiggle room to negotiate downward. As I’ve said before, if you see it and it’s in your comfort zone, buy it. In the long run you’ll be happy you did. And remember, someone else will love it as much as you and it’ll be gone. I always remember the ones I let get away and regret it!

I can't agree more, advice to live by!

I've only purchased a few CAC approved coins, for almost no premium. That has just been a matter of circumstance though, I would have no problem going 25%+ on a CAC coin if it looks good, I've done it for other coins.

But is the question that the coins were purchased at a premium just because of the CAC sticker, or because they were premium coins?

I'll admit one time I did buy a CAC approved coin on a common date because of the sticker. No regrets, great surface, felt great to do it, but I probably would not use that rationale again. It was more of a personal validation thing I suppose.

Purchasing some CAC approved coins, and studying many more CAC approved coins has given me a better eye in what to look for in quality surfaces, which was something I overlooked a bit in the past. I think there is some value in the green sticker.

Depending on the scarcity of what you collect, I imagine the only viable option for an attractive coin is a CAC approved coin being sold at a premium. If you are collecting mint state Morgans or Mercs, I don't know how much value I would put into the CAC sticker, especially if they are being sold at a ridiculous premium. There is just a lot of inventory that has never been submitted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file