Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Coming up at Heritage: Talers, Papal States

I've consigned a few coins to HA. The auctions will go live later this week. I hope you will take a look and consider bidding!

1. 1609 Wildman Taler - PCGS AU58. I purchased this coin raw and it appears totally originally to me. There actually is quite a bit of detail (look at the leg hair!), though the strike is a little flat - maybe the dies were slightly too far apart? TrueView tells the story:

2. 1625 Bavaria Taler - PCGS 58. Excellent detail, delicate patina.

3. 1736 Hungary Taler - AU Details - this coin had a light wipe on the obverse, but has retoned nicely. It could straight grade in the future I believe. The reverse is immaculate! A beautiful rendition of the Hapsburg arms.

4. 1675 Papal States Grosso - PCGS 63. Just an amazing coin - thick, colorful luster. Really unbelievable quality for a 350+ year old coin. Pope Clement X, for the Jubilee.

5. 1702 Testone PCGS 55. Coins on a coin! Latin translates as "Money is either our master or our slave." Nice old colors.

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2022 4:31AM

Wow! That 1675 Papal States grosso with the killer toning and the funky backward Ns is now on my watchlist.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @lordmarcovan - I have a little regret/second thoughts about letting that one go.

I just can't get over how nice it looks compared to other coins of the era.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    edited November 29, 2022 11:44PM

As it happens, I’ve got a little seller’s remorse myself, on a 16th century Papal coin I sold, so if I win yours, it will assuage that. Right now I have no Papal States coins.

That’s all purely hypothetical at this stage, of course. A big “IF”. But I’ll probably give it a shot. Casually eyed your Wildman, too. I don’t have one, and I need to correct that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

TTT. IT appears that these auctions are all "live" now. Good luck!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

TTT. Thanks for the interest in these coins.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

Coming up in a couple days!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

About a day left. TTT

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

These go off tonight. Thanks!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2022 7:07PM

Watching 2….

Edited to add: Dang. I was the dreaded underbidder on that really beautiful Papal States Grosso. Hope you were happy with the high bids, Bob.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

@Bailathacl said:
    Watching 2….

Edited to add: Dang. I was the dreaded underbidder on that really beautiful Papal States Grosso. Hope you were happy with the high bids, Bob.

I too was an underbidder on that one. Shot at three here, missed all three times. But hopefully that was good news for @Bob13.

• Options

Sorry that you weren't able to take that one home.

I did OK on most of the coins. The 1736 cleaned taler did not do well, but not that surprised by the result, unfortunately.

Thanks for the bids!

My current "Box of 20"