Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any opinion is appreciated! Need some opinions with 1989 Upper Deck baseball card measurements.

crice2425crice2425 Posts: 34

****UPDATE****
I offered a refund to the buyer he never sent the card back

Hello everyone... My first discussion. I need some opinions on a specific card from 89 Upper Deck baseball. Long story short i sold an 89 Griffey Jr Upper Deck on eBay. Which I originally bought off eBay. The buyer that bought it from me messaged me after receiving the card and was happy with the card and he appreciated the card. A few days later he opened a return request saying I cut the bottom of the card 1/12" yes thats one twelve of an inch. I messaged him back and stood my ground and told him I'm not refunding his money. He called me a thief and called con artist. I'm including pics of the card that were on the eBAy post that he bought the card from. What he says is me cutting the bottom is what I told him was off centering top to bottom. It's bothering me that hes accusing me off cutting the bottom off. I would like to know your opinions. Thank

s in advance

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2022 6:39PM

Here are some pics of untrimmed PSA graded ones for you to compare. As for the buyer, probably just buyers remorse. But they have to claim the card does not match the listing. Tell him to show a picture of the card and have him tell you how it differs from the one in the listing.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not get into any drama regarding who may have trimmed the card, if it is in fact trimmed.

Ebay often sides with the buyer on disputes. You can state your case, but it might not do any good.

Buying and selling on ebay has its risks.

I have always wondered what's to stop a buyer from saying that they got an item " not as described" and simply switch it out with another one.

Hope this works out for you!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    I have always wondered what's to stop a buyer from saying that they got an item " not as described" and simply switch it out with another one.>

Nothing but honesty, unfortunately.

• Options
    crice2425crice2425 Posts: 34
    edited November 25, 2022 6:47PM

I've been in contact with eBay already. And they have read the messages back and forth before and after the sell. and they have sided with me for now. I'm waiting until Dec 1st to fill a false claim against the buyer. And to the point of it being trimmed. Is there a template that i can use to determine for sure its been trimmed? Like i said i bought the card off eBay myself and i definitely didnt trim it. Why would anyone trim 1/12th of an inch off a card

• Options

@crice2425 said:
    I've been in contact with eBay already. And they have read the messages back and forth before and after the sell. and they have sided with me for now. I'm waiting until Dec 1st to fill a false claim against the buyer. And to the point of it being trimmed. Is there a template that i can use to determine for sure its been trimmed? Like i said i bought the card off eBay myself and i definitely didnt trim it. Why would anyone trim 1/12th of an inch off a card

If you have it in hand, a ruler or another card from the set are good ways to check.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crice2425
    You did things right by contacting ebay & posting here on the forum.
    A false claim can go in your favor; just go about in a properly managed way... :)

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Now that you do not have the card in hand, it is difficult to compare. Using a common 1989 UD card stacked on top of it would have been a good test. While the factory does cut them in uniform sizes, there will be some variation within batches.

Its too hard to tell from just comparing photos of the card you sold and the ones that NGS428 shared, but the card does look suspect. The off centering explanation does not satisfy me of why the hologram is so close to the bottom border. Someone before you owned it might have done some trimming. The edge could have been a little worn or the corners too, and a nice trim can restore the appearance of sharp corners to the unsuspecting eye.

If it is trimmed, the buyer can argue that this should have been disclosed in the description because normally, investors or hobbyists assume no doctoring unless stated otherwise. He may have been happy with it initially, but later upon closer inspection, could legitimately have realized some of the bottom border is missing. This is not unreasonable. It sounds like both of you might be victims and this further illustrates problems with buying raw cards online.

Another poster mentioned that the buyer needs to prove that what they got does not match the picture. However, the buyer got what was pictured, but the recourse is non-disclosure of the card's flaw that any investor or hobbyist would want to know about prior to purchase. It does not mean trimmed cards are not wanted, they are just worth far far less than an untampered card. One can send the card to PSA for review and it can easily be determined if the card had been trimmed or not. No use arguing it here.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

FYI: eBay has sided with you for now. However, all the buyer has to do is initiate a chargeback with their financial institution (credit card) and this situation now involves a third party. The third party will side with the buyer canceling out eBay's decision. Additionally, you will be charged return shipping, the chargeback fee and the eBay final value fee. This happened to me with a PSA 10 returned as item "not as described".......

• Options

****UPDATE**** I've decided to refund the buyers money... not on the pretense that it's been altered or that he thinks I'm a thief or a con artist but strictly on the basis that he's not happy. And I stated that in a message to the buyer. It's also in the back of my head that the buyer has my address and these days you never know what people will do. Although he's in Florida and I'm in Kentucky. Thanks everyone for the discussion

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2022 11:50AM

Well 1/12th of an inch is A LOT!, PSA has been known to kick stuff back at 1/32 short, let alone 1/16th which is still smaller than 1/12th. Unfortunately, your pic is not flat/straight on, so I can't really compare it to the PSA examples to get measurements, but just eyeballing it, the card looks normal at the top and thin/short (the white border) on the bottom. If it was really off-center, the top white on the front and back should be thicker than what I am seeing. Now I'm not saying you trimmed it, or the person you bought it from did, but if it really came out of a pack that way, from the eye test of the pic you posted, looks like a miscut-short at the very least. DId your buyer send you a pic of the card next to a ruler or another card to show it was short?

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crice2425 said:
    ****UPDATE**** I've decided to refund the buyers money... not on the pretense that it's been altered or that he thinks I'm a thief or a con artist but strictly on the basis that he's not happy. And I stated that in a message to the buyer. It's also in the back of my head that the buyer has my address and these days you never know what people will do. Although he's in Florida and I'm in Kentucky. Thanks everyone for the discussion

I think this is probably the best and easiest solution. The overwhelming majority of my eBay transactions are super smooth but for me the buying and selling of cards is just a hobby intended for fun. No sense in people getting too worked up.

Daniel
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@crice2425 said:

Hopefully not without receiving the card back? This is a common scam on ebay. Post the buyers name so everyone can block him please.

• Options

@secretstash said:

Hopefully not without receiving the card back? This is a common scam on ebay. Post the buyers name so everyone can block him please.

WTF, so now the buyer is a scammer? The card is suspect based on the pics. Jeesh!

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@secretstash said:

WTF, so now the buyer is a scammer? The card is suspect based on the pics. Jeesh!

I get your point, but Ebay sided with the seller from the review of chat messages, which more than likely means the buyer was using threats or other attempts to break eBay's guidelines. Many here would like to avoid dealing with someone like that in the future, but you are welcome to get his username and request that he buy your cards... xD

• Options

@secretstash said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@secretstash said:

I get your point, but Ebay sided with the seller from the review of chat messages, which more than likely means the buyer was using threats or other attempts to break eBay's guidelines. Many here would like to avoid dealing with someone like that in the future, but you are welcome to get his username and request that he buy your cards... xD

My interpretation was that the rep who the OP was "chatting" with was advising him that he'd probably be in the clear, but that in no way equals a decision. I have decisions go against me when the chat said I'd be fine. I'd have no problem having this buyer buy my stuff as I don't sell questionable stuff!

• Options

How do I close a discussion? Thanks

• Options

You have to show us the card first when you get it back ;)

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    You have to show us the card first when you get it back ;

I posted a picture of the card in the opening discussion. The buyer of the card is sending it back to me. I intern opened a return claim from the seller i bought it from.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crice2425 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

I posted a picture of the card in the opening discussion. The buyer of the card is sending it back to me. I intern opened a return claim from the seller i bought it from.

I likewise hope you get the same card you sent and that the "buyer" didn't alter it to help make his case.

• Options

@crice2425 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

I mean show us the card next to another card and or a ruler!

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@crice2425 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

I mean show us the card next to another card and or a ruler!

I do not have it in hand right now. It's being sent back to me by the eBay buyer

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could check the backing up position of the pressrun of the head of each side (the thin line frame).
    They should be exactly on each other showing one line. If not, adjustments in the bindery (cutting) could have been oked
    Sidding with the buyer 100% of the time could hurt the supply of the demand.
    No worries here.