Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Joining the Dark Side of the Boards - I mean Force

(cue scuba regulator)

My path to the Dark Side was the silver of sixteenth century Mexico. In an age now past, as a padawan I was trained by a Jedi Master from whom I learned that every coin has much to tell us - if you know how to see. These coins have remained my focus. There is always something new to discover!

Fellow travelers: What was your path to the Dark Side?

And what is your specialization now...if you have one?

A salute to our host, and to the members here who have taught me a great deal, over the years following these forums. A greeting to all.

Pursuing Charles & Joanna, especially Early Series

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet that is quite interesting. Will look forward to the images.
    My path to the darkside took place when I was around 12 years old. Collected Lincoln pennies, but could not help but notice the handful of ancient Romans at my area's brick and mortar. Then I found out that they were cheaper than the pennies and acquired my first dark side, an antoninianus of Gordian III. These days, my interests are somewhat eclectic, but I still maintain a collection to honor Gordian III.

https://flickr.com/photos/whiteamethyst/albums/72157655031591969

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I switched from US to Canada when US coins started to become too expensive for me. Next, to Mexico when the same thing happened with Canada. By then, the "foreign coin" mental roadblock had been dismantled and the whole world was open for collecting. The only specific area that I focused on was the Mexican Revolution and eventually, once again, I ran into the "too expensive" wall. So now, it's just whatever catches my eye that fits in my budget.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Welcome! There is so mich to learn, to explore,and to collect on the dark side. There ate lot of folks here to offer insight as you proceed. Enjoy!

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2022 7:53PM

Collected Canadian coins for decades then US coins for a few years but something was missing the history simply did not become a passion like Mexico/Central America/South America has become. This is truly the area I am happy collecting. Took me decades to land in that zone but better late than never.

I have been at it now for 3 years (starting my 3rd year this month) never even think about ever going back. Only forward now with the series I collect. I now own geez has to be 50 books (coin related & history books). I collect 8 reales 1732-1771 and also some other nations as well. All the early milled 8 reales series (exceptions are Colombia & Chile way to expensive) are what I focus on for these various countries.

I only buy 2-4 coins per year but I am happy with that amount makes it fun each time I add a new coin. So far I own 9 coins not much but still a good start. And each coin I own makes me happy.

I love their culture, history and many more things. I was always big into pirates all my life and these coins make me feel close to that and it is great as a collector to like you are home in what you collect.

The learning curve is and was intense but it does not feel like work as the saying goes find what you love and it will all feel like fun even the hard parts.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sixteenth Century Mexican silver (and copper!) is way cool!

If my area of Mexican (and other) patterns wasn’t so expensive, I’d seriously collect it. Right now, I just dabble in it, buying coins I like.

Welcome! Looking forward to your coins (and stories).

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome-

I try to buy coins that have "the look"- Not easy and I'm not always right. The challenge adds so much because it really changes the dynamics of collecting

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of my Dark Siders; one is slabbed genuine AU:

• Options
    OnwardOnward Posts: 23 ✭✭

Many things can seem unnatural; lots of them are counterfactual. Before he became one with the Force, my Master persuaded me that Admiral Ackbar was right.

Among others here with us, @burfle23, I sense you are wise in the ways of the Force.

• Options

Here is a book I would buy if I was in your position (I already have a copy in my collection great book):

https://worldnumismatics.com/product/the-coinage-of-the-first-mint-of-the-americas-at-mexico-city-1536-1572-by-robert-i-nesmith/

• Options

Here is one you rarely ever see Mexico 3 Reales. Great eye candy:

https://worldnumismatics.com/product/colonial-silver-minors-3-reales-0120359/

• Options
    OnwardOnward Posts: 23 ✭✭

@Bailathacl, you sure know how to lay out the welcome mat! The neatest things about these forums, you have wrapped all of it up perfectly with a bow.

To the king of Morgan dollars, your book suggestions much appreciated. I have a copy of the first one on order now. I have been meaning to get a copy of the second one, there is an older edition around here somewhere. Like you, I have a good supply of books. My wife sometimes has noticed that I have more than one copy of the same book. When she asks if I have read all of them, I try to change the subject.

@pruebas I thank you for your comment. I had hoped to encounter collectors of these types here. I do not know the first thing about patterns, but they sound like a difficult area. You must be dedicated to go after such a tremendous challenge! During the Trials phase of my training, I was friends with a gentleman like you who had deep knowledge of them. Isn't it a wonder how numismatics can bring so many fine people together.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2022 2:31AM

British large pennies were my gateway to the Dark Side. Later, when I started getting halfpennies from the 1700s, it really took root.

The rest, as they say, was history.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.