Home Q & A Forum
Options

question about Katz auctions

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

recently won and paid for some coins from Katz.
Good seller IMO.
however, I did pay on the invoice Euro 20 for shipping to Canada, as they requested on the invoice. the invoice was around Euro 400.
today i received an email asking for more Euros to ship either via USP or FedEx, as Registered mail will only cover Euro 40.
in about 20 years of buying from Europe, I have never had this situation.
**has anyone had similar experiences with European auction houses? **
Thanks for your input.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I don’t know your exact situation, shipping in Europe is expensive! And the postal rules differ from ours, and from country to country. Many of the former government postal services have been privatized as well.

I just let the auction house deal with it as they are “on the ground” so to speak in the location and can probably determine the rules better than I.

As long as the price not lunacy, I’d say to just pay it and let it go. Life is too short to worry about it. Just factor it into future bids.

And expect occasional purchases to have a problem along the way. Stuff happens. It’s part of the “fun.” :s

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2022 8:55PM

Oh and yes, Cayón once asked me to PayPal more Euros for shipping a book I won at auction. Since I “stole” the book (45 Euros for a $300 book), I just complied.

• Options

situation is simple:
    It bugs me the way it is being done.
    I paid Euro 20 which is what they wanted, for shipping one large cent and one dime.
    they tell me that **registration covers only Euro 40. **they knew that when they said shipping is Euro 20.
    usually most if not all houses have their own house insurance. ( Kuenker, MA shop, WAG and others.)
    leads me to think they do not have house insurance for their item.
    they said FedEx will be ok. HOWEVER, FedEx does not cover coins....????

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

You shouldn't have to pay for their miscalculation or mistake. IMO. Can you convince customer service? Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

My take. (Any of my advice is worth what you paid for it.)

It sounds like:
    ~ they made a mistake, and billed you for a delivery option that would not fully 'cover' your package in the event of 'damage/loss';
    ~ they detected their mistake prior to shipment, and now want you to pay more for the delivery option that will fully 'cover' your package in the event of 'damage/loss'.

Is it possible that they have a third-party insurance company that is compatible with 'FedEx/DHL', but not with Czech Post?

Let's assume the "Euro 20" shipping cost is not significantly lower than your past EU shipments of comparable value. (If it was significantly lower, you already 'knew' that something was potentially wrong, even before they asked for additional funds.) Then I agree with @Namvet69.

They billed you, and you paid, the requested amount, for a fully 'insured' shipment to Canada. Since this is clearly bothering you, I suggest asking Katz to absorb the extra cost as a goodwill gesture for a repeat customer. Worst they can say is "no".

• Options

thank you all,
    I will keep you posted.
    this is not about $$$. but it is that I paid Euro 20 already and they are not inexperienced in shipping.
    I suggested consulting with their house insurance and let me know.

• Options

will be shipped as registered mail. but I "received" a lesson about shipping laws in CZ,,,,
    totally not called for.
    does anyone know who the owner is?
    thank you

• Options

I am sorry that the contact was unsatisfactory.

Unfortunately, I cannot help with a name. Hopefully, someone else will be able to provide one. :)

FWIW, I did find a contact number that appears to be located in the Czech Republic.

Source: https://katzauction.com/faq

Please forgive the inquiry, but I am curious.
    In the OP you stated that registered mail only covered up to "Euro 40".
    Are they shipping your package, worth more than "Euro 40", with only "Euro 40" of coverage?

• Options

Thank you for your info.
    I have NO idea how they have shipped it now. I believe registered, as the tracking # indicates.
    will post once i know.
    I will also check CZ postal info and post it.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2022 8:52AM

@YQQ said:
    Thank you for your info.
    I have NO idea how they have shipped it now. I believe registered, as the tracking # indicates.
    will post once i know.
    I will also check CZ postal info and post it.

FWIW, I found this regarding "International Registered Mail" leaving the Czech Republic via Czech Post.

If I interpret it correctly:
    ~ there does not appear to be an option for purchasing additional "compensation";
    ~ the "compensation" for lost or damaged items is limited to CZK 932.

At today's exchange rate (1.0 Czech Koruna = 0.041 Euro), that equates to 38.29 Euros.

• Options

thank you for that info