Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

China: Kweichow. Republic "Bamboo" Dollar Year 38 (1949) Counterfeits and Dead Certs!

I’ll start with a group of typical bad:

The cert is inactive but there are a number of auction appearances shown for this “AU50” fake in PCGS’ CoinFacts (cert # 80006923).

Notice the PCGS price guide of $829,642.00!

This cert number was shown as having been for sale on a foreign site- likely the genuine example and re-slabbed to a current active cert number now, based on the common toning marks observed between the two (cert # 85698057).

Note: this should mean any with cert # 80006923 are FAKE!

Looking again at past auction sales you can see how it’s impacted by “Bay” listings:

CoinFacts shows 3 images as well as a history of prices paid:

Ironically the example with the highest recorded price as an XF45 now has an inactive cert (cert # 42828998):

Genuine example; I have not found a fake one with this cert number to date:

Matching the toning spots it appears this one was re-slabbed as cert number 88196169!

This leaves any # 42828998 as counterfeit only!

Another AU50, this example has a good cert and images; the 2nd example from a Chinese site appears to be a different holder style (cert # 80046565):

And another sold on the “Bay”, this “XF40” example does not match the active cert or image (cert # 80154944):

Moving on to a rather odd VF35 (cert number 83342931) it has an active cert with good images of the genuine one; I have to assume the 2nd example slabbed in reverse to be a little off…

And of course more digging indicates by toning and the obv rim bump this one was re-slabbed from cert # 80099561, which is inactive, making any ‘561’s you find counterfeit!

There are a couple I didn’t include in this summary- a PCGS VF35 which I didn’t find any counterfeits of and an NGC AU50.

Best, Jack.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i LOLed from lack of ability to do more than just one choice. a VERY common problem to diverse posts.

if one lols at a serious post with something funny in it, it kinda gives the impression of mocking someone when one is not or hitting agree because there is something one agrees with but not some other things, so take the LOL with a grain of salt but there IS some actual funny stuff there, ironically funny stuff, some stupid funny stuff etc. :#

you DID make me think of something i hadn't really been considering and that is sales in the APR that are from counterfeit items!!!

the ebay system doesn't distinguish as there are just some things a human brain can do that hardware/software cannot. experience, reason, sometimes painfully obvious stuff and BECAUSE of this, when me and some forum members push counterfeit items up in price to have fun, harass sellers, bid them up so some poor unsuspecting noob doesn't win them etc, one of these resulted in an obvious counterfeit bust dollar (i think it was in a fake pcgs holder) landing on the home page of ebay (years ago) as a HOT item that people should check out. L M A O

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -