Home Sports Talk

Chain smoking marathon runner

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

This story is insane, this guy chain smokes during marathons.

Chain-Smoking Marathon Runner Finishes Race in Under 3.5 Hours

A 50-year-old runner from China completed the Xin’anjiang Marathon in Jiande in three hours and 28 minutes while chain-smoking an entire pack of cigarettes this month.

A photo of the runner, who goes by the name “Uncle Chen,” went viral on the Chinese social media app Weibo showing the runner with a cigarette in his mouth while running. It is definitely a sight not many people are used to seeing.

Apparently, Uncle Chen’s habit of smoking and running is nothing new, according to local media in China. He was first seen running an event in 2017 in Hangzhou, and people began calling him the name “Smoking Brother,” per Runner’s World.

He also ran the 2018 Guangzhou Marathon in three hours and 36 minutes, similar to his time this year. He smoked during that race too, according to Canadian Running Magazine. In ’19, he ran the Xiamen Marathon in three hours and 32 minutes.

With these recorded times, it seems that Uncle Chen recorded his quickest marathon this year at the Xin’anjiang Marathon, all while chain-smoking an entire pack of cigarettes.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people can smoke a d it doesn't bother them.

My buddy at the Sheriff's department used to smoke 2 packs a day and had no problems finishing our yearly PT test which included a 1.5 mile run, timed

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to smoke a pack a day, but as you know I chew nicotine gum now, I'm chewing it as we speak. I do get the urge to light one up every now and then, I used to really enjoy smoking, especially when you first wake up in the morning, and after a good meal.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be a cultural thing. When we were over in China a few years ago, I was shocked at how many people were smoking. it was like the US in the 70's. Every one was doing it. I looked online, and if I remember correctly, there were something like 350MM smokers in China at the time. more than our entire population!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@doubledragon said:
    I used to smoke a pack a day, but as you know I chew nicotine gum now, I'm chewing it as we speak. I do get the urge to light one up every now and then, I used to really enjoy smoking, especially when you first wake up in the morning, and after a good meal.

I used to smoke when I drank and a pack or so a few months a year but I haven't had a smoke since April of 2014

I dip on and off a couple months of the year now but I'm a nicorette gum chewer like you except I don't really care fir the fruit chill, I actually prefer the original

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an expression...
    pick your poisons
    What it means and implies I don't have to go into, and poisons in this context can really mean many things, but I will add the caveat that we all must pick, for we can't have them all. Or maybe you can, but it'll most likely be a brief affair.

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I used to smoke when I drank and a pack or so a few months a year but I haven't had a smoke since April of 2014

I dip on and off a couple months of the year now but I'm a nicorette gum chewer like you except I don't really care fir the fruit chill, I actually prefer the original

I've recently become addicted to the cinnamon flavor, wal-mart ran out of fruit so I was forced to try cinnamon, now I'm hooked!

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of NASCAR's Dick Trickle back in the day when He would smoke in his car during the race.

"Trickle was allowed by NASCAR to smoke in the race car during yellow flag periods, and in the 1990 Winston 500 (now the Aaron's 499), Trickle was seen on live television by the in-car camera lighting up and smoking a cigarette."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@Steven59 said:
    Reminds me of NASCAR's Dick Trickle back in the day when He would smoke in his car during the race.

"Trickle was allowed by NASCAR to smoke in the race car during yellow flag periods, and in the 1990 Winston 500 (now the Aaron's 499), Trickle was seen on live television by the in-car camera lighting up and smoking a cigarette."

The good ol' days of NASCAR, I used to follow it back then, nowadays I couldn't even tell you who's the current champion.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I've recently become addicted to the cinnamon flavor, wal-mart ran out of fruit so I was forced to try cinnamon, now I'm hooked!

Cinnamon is a good choice!

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said

Cinnamon is a good choice!

Indeed! :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@doubledragon try Ebay, you can get some great deals on Fruit Chill and Cinnamon!!