Home Sports Talk
Options

This is a treasure

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect type 1 original boxing photos, a type 1 original photo is the purest form of photography you can get, it was produced from the negative, type 1 original photos are the holy grail of photography and it doesn't get any better than that. I love original type 1 photos that were used in the production of cards, and I've always marveled at this one right here, only 1 known copy of this photo is known to exist and it was used for Jim Brown's 1958 Topps rookie card. If I had a choice between this photo or a PSA 10 1958 Topps Jim Brown, I would take this photo, hands down, and it's not even close. This is a true treasure. Henry M. Barr shot the photo in 1957 at Cleveland’s training camp at Hiram College in Ohio. Barr got his shots there by getting down on the ground, either by sitting or lying in the grass. It was his first year as the team’s photographer, a role he kept until 1984.

The back of the 1957 Type I Jim Brown Rookie Card photo includes a copyright stamp from his studio with its contact info.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic photo and great storyline

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Classic photo and great storyline

I'm always buying type 1 boxing photos, luckily boxing is a bit under the radar in the world of sports, it's not collected like the four major sports, so I am able to find a lot of type 1 boxing photos for very good prices. I am obsessed with this stuff, I love these type 1 original photos, it's the ultimate high for me, it just fascinates me to no end. This is another masterpiece, an original type 1 photo that was used to make the famous 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card, a thing of pure beauty, I would take the photo over the card in a second.

• Options

This type 1 original photo of Joe Namath was used to make his 1965 Topps rookie card.

• Options

PSA grades and slabs these type 1 original photos, which I think is awesome, it gives them protection as well as a beautiful presentation, kind of like a frame for a piece of art.

• Options

I love doing searches for photos used for cards it's a fun alternative

• Options

I would love to know the name of the photographer that took this photo, and who owns the photo now, it's an iconic photo.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

That image of Jim Brown is so crisp and clear. amazing!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    That image of Jim Brown is so crisp and clear. amazing!

It is amazing, I envy the owner of that masterpiece!

• Options

This stuff just fascinates me, here is the photo used to make Lou Brock's 1962 Topps rookie card.

• Options

I'm just going to periodically add to this thread as I discover more of these type 1 original photo treasures, I am constantly on the lookout for this type of stuff, it's a real passion of mine. Here is an original type 1 photo of Mike Ditka used for his 1962 Topps card.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2022 2:08PM

I just get downright jealous when I see things like this, here is the original type 1 photo used to make the 1950 Bowman Otto Graham rookie card, what a treasure.

• Options

I would love to know who owns the original photo for the 1948 Leaf Chuck Bednarik rookie card.

• Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Sorting thru some of my old sports photos and came across this one of Eddie Bell from 1952 while at Pennsylvania. Interestingly, it appears they used this 1952 college photo for his 1955 Bowman rookie card. Not as famous as those players shown above but a cool find nonetheless.

• Options

@fmclaug11 said:
    Sorting thru some of my old sports photos and came across this one of Eddie Bell from 1952 while at Pennsylvania. Interestingly, it appears they used this 1952 college photo for his 1955 Bowman rookie card. Not as famous as those players shown above but a cool find nonetheless.

Awesome photo, thank you for sharing!

• Options

Nice stuff!!!!!