Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why is the census ridiculous?

SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 16, 2022 10:57PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does anyone know why the PCGS census for forgien coins is such a mess? There's pretty much no order to it. Why is this? Any ideas?

It can't be that hard to have a sorting function or have them listed in date order or something like that. I like the PCGS one because you can access available images, unlike NGC...but at least THEY have an order to theirs! (That's right, I went there!😂)

It's quite possible that I'm terrible at technology and it's more user friendly than I know.

Any insight folks?

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

No insight, but you are spot on that it is a mess. If I want to look up a certain date or denomination after I get to the country list, I generally use the Chrome Control-F "find" feature to highlight the correct lines. Tedious, certainly. NGC has a nice organization to theirs, whereby you pick country and denomination, then the whole list is sorted in date order. That can't be that hard.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2022 11:01PM

I couldn't agree more.

PCGS could, and should, do something to make the experience of using the World Coins census better.

Only the top tier countries really seem to be organized properly.

As a Spanish colonial collector I find that only Mexico is organized and that I have to use the browser find function when I need to review Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Guatemala and Peru.

• Options
    RSPRSP Posts: 64 ✭✭

Yes, I brought up this subject when I was speaking with one of the PCGS representatives at a PCGS luncheon a year or two ago. Her reply was to put my suggestion in writing and send it to the office (which I never got around to doing). At the time I got the impression that it was just not a priority. Perhaps as a group we can get this accomplished. One letter we all can sign? Unfortunately I am not computer savvy enough to do this. RSP

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2022 9:25AM

I will say that the Germany section has gotten better over time and is still way better than NGC's. The biggest issue seems to be that the order defaults to coin number. From what I can gather, many coin numbers are generated at the time the first coin is submitted to grading of that type/variety. Sometimes they'll create numbers for a whole series at once and that will get them in order. Otherwise it's seemingly haphazard. I'd prefer a chronological order rather than coin number. In the past when I've inquired, changing coin numbers seems burdensome and they're reluctant to do it.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

The low hanging fruit for me would simply be to sort by description column rather than PCGS # since date is the prefix on most results. A more elaborate solution involves some methodical database cleanup including but not limited to:
    1-Separate date, denomination, classification, and description into separate data elements. I realize that is easier said than done, but there are numerous data parsing/data cleanup tools available and/or vendors who can help with data transformation of this nature.
    2-Improve website to allow columns to be sortable and filterable

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are not imagining it.

I too wish Bolivia and Peru had a similar organization to Mexico. Mexico is organized like South Africa which I still check intermittently. These are two of the few organized better than NGC.