Home Sports Talk
Options

Can anyone explain this photo?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 17, 2022 3:32PM in Sports Talk

Do you know who this is, and can you explain this photo?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably injuries sustained in combat?

Did you Google image it?

• Options
    edited November 16, 2022 2:31PM

Speaking of Google image I just did that and am horrified

WOW

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I don't play rough sports! I do like watching them though...

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2022 2:55PM

This pic is of all the injuries he had over his career...a make up artist was used to recreate them. He didn't have all these injuries at once

Actual Photo

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Probably injuries sustained in combat?

Did you Google image it?

No, actually I ran across the photo on ebay and looked into it, Alfonz24 is correct, a makeup artist did that to his face and recreated all the injuries he suffered over his career as a goalie in the NHL, his name is Terry Sawchuk. Great job @Alfonz24!

• Options

Had always heard him as one of the ATG of hockey.

Looked up his story and he had personnel demons. Died at age 40.

Sawchuk married Patricia Ann Bowman Morey on August 6, 1953 after a brief courtship. They had seven children, and the family endured many years of Sawchuk's increasing alcoholism, philandering (he impregnated a Toronto girlfriend in 1967), and verbal and physical abuse. Morey threatened to divorce him numerous times, and finally did so in 1969.

Sawchuk struggled with untreated depression, a condition that often affected his conduct. After the 1969–70 season ended, Sawchuk and Rangers teammate Ron Stewart, both of whom had been drinking, physically fought over expenses for the house they rented together on Long Island, New York. Sawchuk suffered severe internal injuries during the scuffle from falling on top of Stewart's bent knee. At Long Beach Memorial Hospital, Sawchuk's gallbladder was removed and he had a second operation on his damaged and bleeding liver. The press described the incident as "horseplay", and Sawchuk told the police that he accepted full responsibility for the events.

At New York Hospital Manhattan, another operation was performed on Sawchuk's bleeding liver. He never recovered and died shortly thereafter from a pulmonary embolism on May 31, 1970 at the age of 40. The last reporter to speak to him, a week before his death, was Shirley Fischler (wife of Stan Fischler), who went to see him in the hospital as a visitor, not identifying herself as a reporter. Sawchuk told her the incident with Stewart "was just a fluke, a complete fluke accident." Fischler described him as "so pale and thin that the scars had almost disappeared from his face."

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    Had always heard him as one of the ATG of hockey.

Looked up his story and he had personnel demons. Died at age 40.

Sawchuk married Patricia Ann Bowman Morey on August 6, 1953 after a brief courtship. They had seven children, and the family endured many years of Sawchuk's increasing alcoholism, philandering (he impregnated a Toronto girlfriend in 1967), and verbal and physical abuse. Morey threatened to divorce him numerous times, and finally did so in 1969.

Sawchuk struggled with untreated depression, a condition that often affected his conduct. After the 1969–70 season ended, Sawchuk and Rangers teammate Ron Stewart, both of whom had been drinking, physically fought over expenses for the house they rented together on Long Island, New York. Sawchuk suffered severe internal injuries during the scuffle from falling on top of Stewart's bent knee. At Long Beach Memorial Hospital, Sawchuk's gallbladder was removed and he had a second operation on his damaged and bleeding liver. The press described the incident as "horseplay", and Sawchuk told the police that he accepted full responsibility for the events.

At New York Hospital Manhattan, another operation was performed on Sawchuk's bleeding liver. He never recovered and died shortly thereafter from a pulmonary embolism on May 31, 1970 at the age of 40. The last reporter to speak to him, a week before his death, was Shirley Fischler (wife of Stan Fischler), who went to see him in the hospital as a visitor, not identifying herself as a reporter. Sawchuk told her the incident with Stewart "was just a fluke, a complete fluke accident." Fischler described him as "so pale and thin that the scars had almost disappeared from his face."

Wow, that is insane, I didn't know about all of that stuff.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 covered it pretty well. Thank you! Years ago I stumbled across that image and did some research on him. Definitely interesting.

• Options

I will add this fact, copied from his Wikipedia. This really stood out to me when I was researching him a bit.

At age twelve, Sawchuk injured his right elbow playing rugby and, not wanting to be punished by his parents, hid the injury, preventing the dislocation from properly healing. Thus, the injury left his right arm with limited mobility and was now also several inches shorter than the left, which bothered him for his entire athletic career.

• Options

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    This is why I don't play rough sports! I do like watching them though...

Welcome to Sports Talk @Ownerofawheatiehorde

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m so sorry, for some weird reason, I thought this was the coin forum :D My bad! I am sorry if I sounded dumb.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

I’m so sorry, for some weird reason, I thought this was the coin forum :D My bad! I am sorry if I sounded dumb.

you didn't sound dumb at all. Please, let me be specific and analyze what I think happened ...because the internet is tough to communicate on.

I legitimately thought what you said was funny. Then I welcomed you to sports talk because I noticed you are new. By your user name I know you are into coins. Me too. I actually started here for coins and years later pretty much live over here. Anyway, you lol'd my welcoming, so I gave you my go-to gif. Then you seem to have actually seriously thought this was the coin forum. If so, consider the fact that nothing happens that was not intended to happen. Over here we don't just talk about sports. Please, stick around... it's your destiny

• Options

Your not the first fellow to stumble in over here!

Dont be a stranger, stop by again and say hello 🍻

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

The goalies of yesteryear always made sure they were cleanly shaved before a game just in case they needed stiches.
    Sawchuk was considered one of the very best ever.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Terry Sawchuk certainly took a beating during his career, here is a graph of all of his injuries.

• Options

That is a lot of UBIs. Only one LBI.