Home Sports Talk
Options

Terry Francona named Manager of the Year!

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

He sure as hell should hold this honor after how he shaped all of the rookies he added to his roster this year and still made it to the playoffs..........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Options

He said he'll be back next year but after that who knows??? Will be a sad day for the Guardians when he retires.......

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2022 6:56AM

I got to admit I still harbor some anger towards him from 2011 when he let the Red Sox lose an 11 game lead in the division while the lazy overpaid humps partied with fried chicken and beer in the clubhouse while he sat on his rear end and didn't do a thing about it

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard Bobby valentine might be available. He followed Tito at Boston. ;)

@Steven59 said:
    He said he'll be back next year but after that who knows??? Will be a sad day for the Guardians when he retires.......

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    I heard Bobby valentine might be available. He followed Tito at Boston. ;)

But will he bring his fake mustach disguise with him? :D

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it didn't take long for the anti-Francona rant to materialize. The guy leads Boston to the first franchise World Series title in 86 years, another one three years later and what is remembered is 2011. Give that to Cleveland fans and watch how long it takes to erect the statue!!! :p

Criticize Terry Francona or admire him, one thing seems certain. He seems to be one of the best current managers at player development. This year was an amazing feat with a revolving door for Rookies to walk through.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2022 5:34PM

@Maywood said:
    Well, it didn't take long for the anti-Francona rant to materialize. The guy leads Boston to the first franchise World Series title in 86 years, another one three years later and what is remembered is 2011. Give that to Cleveland fans and watch how long it takes to erect the statue!!! :p

Criticize Terry Francona or admire him, one thing seems certain. He seems to be one of the best current managers at player development. This year was an amazing feat with a revolving door for Rookies to walk through.

I didn't say I didn't like him, obviously I'm grateful for all he did with the Sox but I am allowed to be annoyed when they squandered an 11 game lead in September to the Yankees while it was well documented that he had no control over the clubhouse

I hold Pedroia responsible as well, him and Tito played more cribbage than trying to lead the team

• Options

Whatever happened to Pedroia?? He seemed like the heart and catalyst for the team, got injured and I lost track of where he's at and what he's done??

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    Whatever happened to Pedroia?? He seemed like the heart and catalyst for the team, got injured and I lost track of where he's at and what he's done??

He retired last year after not being able to play for several years. I guess this is one of those examples that the NFL owners would look t when they oppose long term guaranteed deals.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terry sure has had his share of physical problems. But he forged ahead despite the physical setbacks. Got to respect his fortitude.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Maywood said:

He retired last year after not being able to play for several years. I guess this is one of those examples that the NFL owners would look t when they oppose long term guaranteed deals.

And got paid millions of dollars being on the payroll hanging around with one injury after another when he should have just retired

I can't stand Pedroia incase you didn't notice lol

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that Pedroia's name is in the mix, I found a very interesting read on him and other "guaranteed" contracts. The issue revolves around factors that describe some contract law, which I found interesting...oddly, they include a wild boar, pickup basketball game and spinal stenosis, along with tax issues. I did find the part referring to the Red Sox being compelled to trade Mookie Betts to stay under the tax structure, and, had Pedroia taken a different approach to his insane contract owed him, Mookie Betts would possibly still be in a Red Sox uniform.

A bit long, and 2 years old, but really gives you a unique viewpoint into MLB and long term contracts and how it impacts the overall operation of professional baseball management.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/01/27/boston-red-sox-dustin-pedroia-contract

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts on Pedroia (coming from a Yankee fan)

He gave all he had for the Sox until THE injury.
    Then the dirty play by Machado that basically ended his productive career.
    I can understand why he hung around to collect what was signed for and maybe bitter about the way he was injured. Could / Should the Sox have bought out his contract? heck, Bobby Bonilla is still collecting $. I know Albert is just starting his 10 year Personal Service Contract with the Angels which he signed in 2011. Note that PSC are no longer allowed after 2012.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Please don't remind me of Machado, a talented head-job that should have been drummed out of MLB years ago.