Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

US Currency Next Date Print??

So I have been researching and found that the Secretary of Treasury AND the US Treasurer are female for the first time ever.

When will the Signature change and bills have a new date? I have been researching but cant find anything.

Do you think it will be a 2022 or 2023 print for a few years? Do you think the first bills with the female signatures will be worth something??

Tagged:

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JDsCoins said:
    So I have been researching and found that the Secretary of Treasury AND the US Treasurer are female for the first time ever.

When will the Signature change and bills have a new date? I have been researching but cant find anything.

Do you think it will be a 2022 or 2023 print for a few years? Do you think the first bills with the female signatures will be worth something??

Face value.

Like most series they will be printed endlessly and carry no particular premium.

If you wanted to keep a few high grade uncirculated bills no one would blame you, and same if you collected some of the uncut sheets.

Far more interesting (at least to me) would be getting them to add real signatures above the printed ones, but that project might be more successful after they've left office.

• JDsCoinsJDsCoins Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I figured it wouldn't be worth much,

I am more confused why the paper money being printed now has the US Treasurer and Secretary of Treasury signature of people that haven't been in office for a few years haha

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JDsCoins said:
    I am more confused why the paper money being printed now has the US Treasurer and Secretary of Treasury signature of people that haven't been in office for a few years haha

It’s called Tradition

@Steve_in_Tampa said:

@JDsCoins said:

It’s called Tradition

So Steve do you think they will stay the same signature for a certain amount of time?

It will stay the same at least until a new President is elected or a new Secretary of the Treasury or a new US Treasurer is appointed and approved.

There is a certain lag time due the necessity of creating new printing plates. Also, when once they start printing the new series there might be a backlog of old inventory to get into circulation.

Lastly, if by some chance there are other changes planned (design or security), they might delay the new series for that reason.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that there were established rules for when the series date changes and when just the date suffix letter is advanced. Have those rules been abandoned?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

A new Secretary of the Treasury (Yellen) was appointed by the President, confirmed before the Senate and sworn in in 2021, hence the change of series. I believe this is typical.

I am honestly excited to see the 2021 Date run!

edited December 13, 2022 2:04PM

They can also change the letter or even the date if there are major design changes apart from the signatures.

I believe they went from 2017 to 2017A for $1 bills based on a security enhancement that they wouldn't even divulge.

• EagleScout2017EagleScout2017 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

Somebody posted a picture of a courtesy autographed Series of 2021 $5 FRN on Reddit earlier today. I figured I'd share for posterity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/papermoney/comments/102lgfy/new_5_note_signed_by_chief_malerba/

delenda est WitterU

Oh Dang!!! Look at that, They are in the wild :smile:

• luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 507 ✭✭✭✭

@JDsCoins said:
    Oh Dang!!! Look at that, They are in the wild :smile:

running to the bank!!! LOL

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Janet Yellin money.

The first to be signed by two women and first Native American signer. Look for stars, rare districts or blocks or errors. Now can someone tell us what's likely to be "rare"?

There will be many ordinary series 2021 notes, so the ones to save will be the rare or unusual.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • @sellitstore said:
    Now can someone tell us what's likely to be "rare"?

Just keep an eye on the star note run lengths.

Apparently the new Treasurer wasn't confirmed until October 2021, so that would help explain the delay.