Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1862 G$1 DDO FS-101 NGC MS63 - Very Rare Double Die *Will have this at CSNS on Thursday*

liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are not many varieties in the gold dollar series, but this one is by far the rarest and most obvious of them. This is a 1862 G$1 DDO FS-101 NGC MS63. The only problem is it does not show the DDO FS-101 on the holder. This was submitted with a group of coins recently and I did not realize that to get the variety designation I had to submit on a seperate form and pay an $18 variety fee. There is absolutely no doubt it is the FS- 101 variety, it can be seen with the naked eye, So I can resubmit to get it reslabbed, but the backlog at NGC means it will probably be a 2 month wait.

So I thought I would offer it here at a reduced price, to cover the reslabbing, extra shipping, and to make it a great deal.

The NGC population in MS63 is 4, with 5 graded higher. The PCGS population is 5 in MS63 with 2 graded higher. Very tough to find and very dramatic looking double die. The last sale of an MS63 was a Heritage auction on 11/21 for $2520.
I would sell this one for $1800.

Here is a marked up photo showing the main ares of doubling. The most apparent is the double row of beads in the headdress. There is also obvious doubling on the tips of the headdress feathers, although my photo does not show it very well. Several letters also show doubling, the F and U are most visible. This coin is very well struck compared to some others of this variety, so the doubling is even more pronounced.

liefgold

Comments