Home Sports Talk
Options

Football back in the 70s

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching this video of Fran Tarkenton spiking the football off of Ron Bolton's head after a touchdown, certainly a different game back then!

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tear away jerseys

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Stick em

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Yes, a tough era for sure.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2022 2:07PM

Totally different game than what you see today.....Real Football...I liked it better....Just my opinion....

Oh, those Raider/Steelers matchups!........Times change.....Gotta' roll with it....
    The Immaculate Reception......WOW!!!

UNFORGETTABLE!!!!

I don't know how to post videos.... Someone here must know....please post the video of The Immaculate Reception!.... It's The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant's™ favorite football moment... She was just a little girl at the time but she talks about it all the time!....That's when she fell in love with you know who.....

Fortunately I showed up just in time to save her!

• Options

Hmm, Randy White is one of my all-time favorites. He was a big, ferocious, menacing player, Terry Bradshaw once said that every time they played the Cowboys, he always had to be aware of where Randy White was on the field, he just made Bradshaw nervous.

• Options

Those are like clubs at the end of his elbows

• Options

Tom Dempsey and the straight on kickers.

• Options

mud!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much has been lost under the facade of making it better.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the cameras in use today the "Immaculate Reception" may have been over-turned. I've still never seen a complete video of the play.

• Options
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2022 2:54PM

Thanks, Showboat..... I knew you'd come through!...But that video does not show Franco Harris catching the ball just before it hit the ground..... Is there a video that shows that?......Greatest football moment EVER!!!!......The play, the situation, 4th and 10, big game, 40 seconds on the clock..... Raiders and Steelers!....IT WAS CRAZY!.....BEST EVER!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Thanks, Showboat..... I knew you'd come through!

Now you can't say I never did anything for you...😂🎸

• Options

Check out this 1970s advertisement for kids football NFL uniforms, definitely awesome!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

my wall of fame... B)

• Options

Yes, and my wall of fame.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Growing up watching the NFL in the 70's and 80's is the reason why I can't watch it today. Totally different game.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much slower game back in the 70's, really most athletes in today's NFL are physically much stronger and faster, if they didnt adjust the rules to protect these guys there would be a ton of more injuries if they played 1970's style

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I was watching this video of Fran Tarkenton spiking the football off of Ron Bolton's head after a touchdown, certainly a different game back then!

I would love to hear the back story of this fight. something big must have been going on for that kind of reaction from Fran.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

70s were definitely a brutal time to play professional football.

I am not a big fan of the college game, so I dont know lots about its history. Was college ball equally as brutal?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

IThe guys are just as tough today, it’s just the gigantic shoulder pads that made them look tough back then

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Maywood said:
    With all the cameras in use today the "Immaculate Reception" may have been over-turned. I've still never seen a complete video of the play.

I do not think the question was on the catch, but the deflection.

Back then the rule was an offensive player could not catch a ball deflected by his own team. So the question was whether Frenchy Fuqua of the Steelers touched the deflection, thus making the catch by Harris illegal.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

True but Raiders fans also say that Harris trapped the ball. I don't think he did, but its debatable.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Darin said:
    IThe guys are just as tough today, it’s just the gigantic shoulder pads that made them look tough back then

Now most of the players don't even wear leg or hip pads, remember QB's wearing flak jackets

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

I would love to hear the back story of this fight. something big must have been going on for that kind of reaction from Fran.

The guy swats/hits Fran way out of bounds.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I had one of those!

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2022 8:35PM

Bum Phillips once said "Some running backs see daylight. Earl Campbell makes daylight."

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭