Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2022 Panini World Cup Soccer Sticker Cards

With the World Cup just around the corner, I was thinking about the sticker cards that Panini regularly releases. I assume this is a premier manufacturer with a long pedigree of producing World Cup Soccer Cards. I recall Upper Deck producing the same in 1994, but I really did not follow what happened afterwards, whether it was kept up for successive seasons or not.

1. Are these the World Cup cards that one should get or is there another recognizable brand?
  2. What would be a fair price for a hobby box (50 pack box) that is not overpriced?
  3. What is a good source to get them in terms of price and quality (they will safely send a box without any flaws such as dents, creases or tears).
  4. What constitutes a soccer player's rookie card, World Cup debut card or professional club debut card? Are both very desirable?
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy the World Cup stickers. Last time there was also a Panini Prizm World Cup set which has held its value quite nicely.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2022 12:35PM

Panini Prizm World Cup is the set to go for. There will be at least dozens of different sets released, maybe hundreds, when you get deep into the foreign-issue markets. But still, Prizm is the reigning king of them all, at least for now.

The boxes were not too expensive during the first Prizm set of 2014, but went up considerably. The 2018 ones started higher than 2014. There is a big following now, so don't expect to get discount prices on the 2022 hobby boxes. The sticker set boxes are quite inexpensive relative to prizm, so consider that if price is a limiting factor for you.

Rookies are definitely the first card issued. In almost all cases, that will be a club card, not a national squad card from international tournaments.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

miwlvrn,

This has been helpful. I have heard of the Panini Prizm. What price point are they and where would be a good source for them? I know I can always search on eBay, but some recommendations would be helpful too.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

worldcupsoccerstickers. com

Brian

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    miwlvrn,

This has been helpful. I have heard of the Panini Prizm. What price point are they and where would be a good source for them? I know I can always search on eBay, but some recommendations would be helpful too.

2022 Panini Prizm FIFA World Cup Soccer Hobby Ships 11/2. Around $400 for a hobby box.

Good luck I hope you hit a big card!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Thank you Cakes,

If I do get the Panini Prizm hobby box, I do not plan on opening it. It looks nice as a hobby box and probably worth more sealed. Opening it does not guarantee I will get a big card. Also, if there is a big card, its condition is not guaranteed to be GEM MINT or MINT.

• Options

@DeutscherGeist said:
    Thank you Cakes,

If I do get the Panini Prizm hobby box, I do not plan on opening it. It looks nice as a hobby box and probably worth more sealed. Opening it does not guarantee I will get a big card. Also, if there is a big card, its condition is not guaranteed to be GEM MINT or MINT.

I like that idea. I haven't bought much the last year. I have been saving up for a deck for my backyard.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Hello Cakes,

I hear you, one has to prioritize one's purchases or resources. Investing in home improvement is also very important.

Besides eBay, where is a good source to get the 2022 Panini World Cup stickers and the 2022 Panini World Cup Prizm hobby boxes?

• Options

I picked up my stickers and albums from worldcupsoccerstickers. com. They came in perfect shape and packed like Fort Knox.

Brian

• Options

@BJY83 said:
    I picked up my stickers and albums from worldcupsoccerstickers. com. They came in perfect shape and packed like Fort Knox.

I tried that website and it led me to another site called Soccer Garage. They do sell the sticker cards, but twice the amount compared to some eBay sellers.

• Options

Gotcha, I've never had a problem with them and they're a very trusted company in the soccer world. I've bought mine and my kid's gear from them for almost 10 years now. Just be careful wherever you decide to buy them from. These boxes are easily opened from the bottom without any trace of it and packs can be weighed or pressed to find the hot packs. There's a few YouTube videos out there showing people cherry picking all the packs with inserts.

Brian

• Options

@BJY83 said:
    Gotcha, I've never had a problem with them and they're a very trusted company in the soccer world. I've bought mine and my kid's gear from them for almost 10 years now. Just be careful wherever you decide to buy them from. These boxes are easily opened from the bottom without any trace of it and packs can be weighed or pressed to find the hot packs. There's a few YouTube videos out there showing people cherry picking all the packs with inserts.

I always fear the pack or box picking. A trusted source for unopened material is Baseball Card Exchange, but they do not have the newest Panini products of soccer. I used to buy entire sealed cases of product just to minimize pack or box picking. I cannot afford an entire case right now, unfortunately.

While searching around, I discovered this:

2022 Panini Prizm World Cup Soccer Breakaway Box ~$250, 10 packs, 9 cards per pack

How does this differ from :

2022 Panini Prizm World Cup Soccer Box ~$400, 12 packs, 12 cards per pack

Are they both the same set except the composition and ratio of base cards, parallels, and other variations differ? The Breakaway box may have some cards that the non-breakaway does not? But all types of cards from the non-breakaway is a possibility in the breakaway?

• Options

I just learned that the Panini website does sell the soccer sticker cards and also the Prizm cards. The prices are moderate, not expensive, but not the cheapest possible either. However, it would be most reliable to get these cards from them as its highly unlikely that pack and box searches would occur at the manufacturer.

The Prizm cards are very hyped up and quite volatile. They started out high and have declined in price since then. However, its hard to tell whether it hit bottom or could go lower.

I also learned that the 2022 Panini Prizm World Cup Soccer Breakaway Box at ~$250 is a watered down version of the 2022 Panini Prizm World Cup Soccer Box at ~$400. This means the latter has a higher concentration of those special cards, the non-base ones.

I am having fun learning about all this. The actual World Cup is starting soon, so that will make it more fun!

• Options

I usually shop with Blowout cards https://www.blowoutcards.com

They are in Chantilly, VA and are almost always one of the cheapest sellers online.

Good luck! I hope you hit some nice cards!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:

@BJY83 said:

I always fear the pack or box picking. A trusted source for unopened material is Baseball Card Exchange, but they do not have the newest Panini products of soccer. I used to buy entire sealed cases of product just to minimize pack or box picking. I cannot afford an entire case right now, unfortunately.

While searching around, I discovered this:

2022 Panini Prizm World Cup Soccer Breakaway Box ~$250, 10 packs, 9 cards per pack

How does this differ from :

2022 Panini Prizm World Cup Soccer Box ~$400, 12 packs, 12 cards per pack

Are they both the same set except the composition and ratio of base cards, parallels, and other variations differ? The Breakaway box may have some cards that the non-breakaway does not? But all types of cards from the non-breakaway is a possibility in the breakaway?

If you're looking for an investment box to leave unopened, the First Off The Line version of the Hobby boxes are priced approx. double the cost of the regular hobby boxes but seem to be the best ones you can get.