Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Has Numismatic Consultants gone bust?

I used to get a fair number of coins from them, but they don't ever have auctions anymore, nor do they update their website. Anyone know the scoop? Preston was pretty helpful about finding stuff. They had a lot of ICG stuff, but also good PCGS and NGC material from time to time. Just curious if anyone has heard from them recently?
Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Comments

• PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this the outfit in Hilton Head, SC?I bought a couple of things from them in the past. I'll be in HH soon and will look them up. I assume they have a storefront.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    That is them, but I have no idea if they have an actual store you can visit. Let me know if you find them!
  • jy8sjy8s Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I checked in every so often with Preston and he departed suddenly. When I asked for him last time I was given "an everything must go!" speech combined with the "I am tired of dealing with collectors, I only want to deal in bulk!!!!". I was told that everything was going to Teletrade and he sounded serious. Don't know circumstances or current status. I too would like to understand the status so please update!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This seller is with them. Bought three JFKs from him, and they were shipped from them. His name is Vinnie, though.

Russ, NCNE
    Their address is 56 Mooring Buoy - about a half mile from the condo where we'll be staying . If it's a storefront, I'll stop by. If it's a residence, I won't. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • I had a very large number of dealings with them , actually just Vinnie, when I was assembling my former #1 Lincoln Registry set and Vinnie was the absolute best to deal with. I am a working stiff and could not afford to buy some of the lower pop coins in one shot and Vinnie would do layaway for me and this went on for about 2 years without a hitch. Then one day MIKE the jaggarse owner decides he wants to call all layaways in and sell them out from under the people who had deposits on them. I had a pop 3 1960 sd ms67rd PCGS Lincoln in layaway and he pulled it out from under me and sold it to another dealer. I NEVER DEALT WITH THEM AGAIN. Vinnie has since quit these people and moved out to Colorado and now works for Slater Coins. He is just the greatest and I would deal with him in a minute. Numismatic Consultants can just fade away as far as I am concerned. This is just my personal opinion based on 2 years of dealings with this company and is not meant to change anyone elses mind about dealing with this company. Just the Facts!
    Mike--(2001 #1 PCGS MS Memorial Lincoln Registry Set Owner & 2007 #13 MS Memorial Lincoln Set Owner. Both Retired)
  • jy8sjy8s Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Related but unrelated - I believe Vinnie has moved on from Slater now also. Don't know where he ended up.
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    The last I heard from Preston, I got something similar. A long list of coins available and a "make me an offer, everything has got to go." Haven't heared anything since. I have a few hypotheses on what happened to them, but they are just guesses.
    1) I think they got in too deep in ICG coins
    2) I think they got tied into Yahoo Auctions, and missed a lot of opportunities on Ebay.

Just a couple of guesses.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Yup, that makes sense. Alot of the 69 Dcams listed on yahoo brought far less than they were worth. Preston always delivered all he promised in my transactions.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • I bought several PCGS graded proof Kennedy halves from them through Ebay about a year or more ago. The prices at that time were a bargain. Then over the course of several months the prices went up sharply and I noticed that not many were selling. The coins I bought however were very nice. BOB
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Bummer. The guys who dealt with Vinnie are right - he was great. Excellent coins, speedy responses and VERY fast shipping.

Russ, NCNE
    They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

They are selling Kennedy proof rolls on ebay. Just listed today. Same address.

Joe
  • Interesting......
    Just back tonight from Hilton Head. Rode my bike past his house everyday, but didn't see anyone outside. House is 30 yards from the beach, probably goes for about $3 mil. Not a storefront but someone must be doing well!

Name on the mailbox says "Reuben" Does that make sense?

Joe
  • As this is one of my first replies on the boards I will try to go slow enough not to get thrown off. Michael Reuben (if he is now part of this group) is a complete crook. I have a bag of overpriced NGC garbage that he sold me from years back. Most of it has "toned" into total worthlessness. He was more than willing to give up every name in the business as the cheats responsible. Michael, I hope you read this. You should be beaten for the way you have preyed on new collectors! You are about the worst thing I can think of for the hobby. If your business goes bust, we will all be better off.
  • The jerks name is "Mike Rueben" He still suck's in my book but that is just MY PERSONAL OPINION!

Vinnie has been located. He is now running his own company named "Spare Change, Inc". He is now located in Delray Beach Florida. The phone number is (888) 277-8432. The local number is (561) 243-6443 and his fax number is (561) 243-1890. He has a full page ad in the August 12th COIN WORLD on page 33. He is the best so I am happy to be able to pass on this new information. Unlike "Mr. Reuben" Vinnie has never cheated me in over 30 transactions of VERY LOW POP Lincoln's.
    Mike--(2001 #1 PCGS MS Memorial Lincoln Registry Set Owner & 2007 #13 MS Memorial Lincoln Set Owner. Both Retired)