Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1983 Topps Traded Variation?

I’m going through 2 sets of 1983 Topps Traded while watching the World Series. I noticed that one set has two asterisks at the bottom left while the other has one. Anyone know what’s the significance? Possibly when they were printed?

Comments

• Options

The two dot set is from a set I ordered back in 1983. The cards seem to have a thinner stock. The other set I picked up a few years ago still in the box. I wonder if the earlier set was sheet cut. I got it from Renata Galasso as a kid. Any thoughts?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Renata Galasso was pretty big for awhile, maybe they had a deal where they got a bunch of sets at a bulk rate and Topps decided to identify them?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2022 11:00PM

Every card in the 1983 Topps Traded set can be found with either one or two asterisks on the back. There is no difference in value.

Topps did the same thing with their Traded sets in 1990 and 1991, and also with their 1989 Glossy All-Stars.

Steve

• Options

Thanks. I wasn’t really concerned about value. I just thought it was odd.

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

These are very well known and fairly common variations among Topps set and variation collectors. However, this is the first I have heard of lighter stock. Each pair Ive owned (mostly Strawberrys) felt the same in hand.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for bringing this up. I did not know about this variation. Looks like I now need to collect both the one and two asterisk Strawberry and Franco rookie cards.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee