Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Grading and damage to a coin.

I just bought a 1921 P Mercury Dime that is BUFSB with the only problem being some damage to the rim. With PCGS, any damage is marked damaged and ungradable?

Comments

• And to add to that, this is my second post and I don't see how to post a picture. What am I missing?

• I found where to attach a photo so why won't it work?

• Never mind... :p

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeterS said:
    I just bought a 1921 P Mercury Dime that is BUFSB with the only problem being some damage to the rim. With PCGS, any damage is marked damaged and ungradable?

I'm not certain where to begin other than welcome to the boards.

As for the coin, it is rather heavily circulated and has fairly obvious hairlines likely from being wiped or cleaned in the past. You note that you purchased it as "BUFSB" which I interpret to mean a mint state (MS) coin with full split bands (FB or FSB as you have written it). The coin may or may not have FB, but it is no way, no how mint state and its value (especially if cleaned) is worth only a small fraction of a mint state coin.

Could you please share more details of how you acquired the piece, the cost and how it was represented?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2022 10:46PM

“…the only problem being some damage to the rim”.

That’s like when Mrs. Lincoln was asked, “So, other than the assassination, how was the play?”

As @TomB also correctly pointed out, there’s a lot of wear on this circulated coin.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • I bought the coin on e-bay for $950. More picks are below. These are the seller's picks and the last one is mine.
    Any comments or criticisms are welcome. I'm assuming this coin isn't worth having graded...

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom photo, a reverse, is not that of a Mercury Dime. What’s going on?

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • @TomB said:

@PeterS said:

I'm not certain where to begin other than welcome to the boards.

As for the coin, it is rather heavily circulated and has fairly obvious hairlines likely from being wiped or cleaned in the past. You note that you purchased it as "BUFSB" which I interpret to mean a mint state (MS) coin with full split bands (FB or FSB as you have written it). The coin may or may not have FB, but it is no way, no how mint state and its value (especially if cleaned) is worth only a small fraction of a mint state coin.

Could you please share more details of how you acquired the piece, the cost and how it was represented?

@winesteven said:

That’s like when Mrs. Lincoln was asked, “So, other than the assassination, how was the play?”

As @TomB also correctly pointed out, there’s a lot of wear on this circulated coin.

Steve

@winesteven said:

Steve

Maybe, but it was shot through a badly scratched plastic holder...look to the right of the coin. My only concern was to show the ding in the rim, not anything about the coin. I'll put it in a holder and try to do a better job with the photo.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but if it were AU or XF you would see wear on the hair and the wing. There is none. On the reverse, the bands on the faces would be the first to show wear. Again there is now. Now it may have been cleaned and cleaned badly, but that's not my argument. And with the way my hands shake...Mr. Lincoln would be alive and well today...

I would also like an answer to the damage to the coin...I have a feeling mine is too damaged to be anything but. But for future reference is there a point at which PCGS will allow a coin to be graded?

• And to continue my "not" argument here is a PCGS MS63 and if there is a difference in wear, where is it? This one even has a thumbprint that is clearly visible.

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be very scared about buying a raw key date like that, too much chance of it being a fake...
    As to your original question whether this would get a details grade, my opinion is yes, the rim ding would definitely give it that.
    If I had to guess, I would say somewhere along the lines of "Genuine, Unc. details, Rim Damage" (in my opinion)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

I submitted a Morgan with similar rim/edge damage and, IMO, yours is enough to come back Details/Damaged; especially if the damage reaches into the edge and/or thru to the other side.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Mercury appears cleaned XF'ish yet also possibly removed from a mount.

peacockcoins

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeterS said:

I found where to attach a photo so why won't it work?

on the second picture there are parallel lines going between 5:30 and 11:30 over the cheek and neck

this is caused by a wipe with a jewelers cloth or something similar and PCGS will give it a details cleaned grade if they feel coin is authentic (something looks strange about the inside rim).

unless you have money to burn, you should learn more about grading before spending what I consider big bucks on raw coins from pictures