Home Sports Talk

Even Cornhole has a cheating scandal

Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

'BagGate' cheating scandal rocks professional cornhole world

A cheating scandal dubbed "BagGate" has sent shock waves across the professional cornhole world.

The controversy sparked in August at the 2022 American Cornhole League World Championships in South Carolina.

Devon Harbaugh filed a formal complaint against cornhole players Mark Richards and Philip Lopez, claiming the No. 1 ranked doubles team used illegal beanbags.

"I thought the bags were too thin, Harbaugh asserted.

After the complaint was lodged, officials performed a bag inspection. However, Lopez and Richards also wanted their opponents bags to be inspected as well. Turns out none of the players competing were using regulation size bags.

Officials ultimately determined the violations were not intentional and allowed the content to continue.

An ACL spokesperson allude to the fact that some form of cheating may have taken place. "It’s possible, but I’m pretty confident that it wasn’t intentional," spokesman Trey Ryder said.

A lighter or thinner bag does allow for a competitive advantage. Some players have been suspected of participating in a variety of methods to create the lighter bags.

ACL regulations stipulate cornhole bags must be six by six inches when laying on a flat surface. The bags weight is expected to be 16 ounces.

The league now plans to implement more regulations and structures into the sport.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never played this game, but I know of it.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like there can't be a cheating scandal without some Harbaugh making accusations lol.

Unrelated: Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2022 9:38AM

People will cheat at everything....................everything!!!

I don't know if anyone saw the story about the fisherman involved in the Lake Erie Walleye Tournament several weeks ago, but it's hard to envision professionals doing what the two guys did. They stuffed lead sinkers and walleye filets into some walleye they had caught to increase the weight. They had won quite a bit of cash and even boats at past tournaments which are now rightly under investigation.

--- Make sure to watch the twitter video, it is sort of unbelievable.

https://outdoorlife.com/fishing/anglers-charged-for-cheating/

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

the video of that fishing tournament was priceless. I thoroughly enjoyed it

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Twitter video worth watching, I agree!!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember back in the day when I was in elementary school (early to mid 1960s) when playing tiddily-winks, jacks and pickup sticks was popular. I saw and learned that some of my classmates "cheated".

I could not believe that people would cheat as I thought all people were "nice".

Oh the horror (I am still traumatized to this day and rue the loss of my innocence caused by the cheating).

The cheating including plastic tiddily-winks that were made of plastic that had a different chemical composition than that which was approved by the governing body of that sport; and that were 2 -3 microns thinner (thus lighter and able to go farther when a player launched it) than what was approved by the governing body of that sport.

The cheating also included jacks that had a different metallic composition that that which was approved by the governing body of that sport (including trace amounts of tin and goloid :o ); and that had none conforming spikes.

Worst of all was that the cheating in pick up sticks included wooden sticks that were manufactured with a hollow center (like a wood pencil) into which a core of a thin steel or iron rod was inserted with wood plugs inserted at each end to hide the metal rod. The cheating player would then have another stick that was of similar design, except the metal rod inserted in the wood stick was a magnet :o . It turned out that the classmates who cheated at pick up sticks were those whose fathers were carpenters/wood carvers/lumberjacks who were ultra competitive in everything that they did. Their drive to win at all costs was instilled in their offspring, who were my classmates.

55 years later and I still have trouble making it through each day.

Such is the severity of the trauma I suffered on the day I learned that my classmates cheated at tiddily-winks, jacks and pickup sticks.

I assume that similar cheating took place during games of marbles, but those who play marbles are very sneaky, tight lipped about everything and scared of doing/saying anything that would violate the "Marble Code" [which has severe penalties].

Perhaps I need to seek professional help. Does anyone know of a grief counselor you could refer me to?

:)

@SanctionII said:

Perhaps I need to seek professional help. Does anyone know of a grief counselor you could refer me to?

:)

I know someone good if you're serious, send me a PM...

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone that would waste their hard-earned money on a psychiatrist should have their head examined.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not serious. Totally tounge in cheek. :)

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't leave out the poker world. They have has their "issues" from time to time.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@SanctionII said:
    Not serious. Totally tounge in cheek. :)

I knew you were kidding...but my offer stands...🙃

• RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2022 11:29AM

Funny game.