Home Q & A Forum
Options

PCGS Grading

I'm fairly new here but I have had a few coins graded by PCGS. I recently had a coin graded and on the PCGS Site it was labelled AU Details - Damaged, then when I received the coin in the slab it stated AU Details - Repaired. I have looked this coin over under a microscope and had a couple of dealers inspect the coin and no one can identify anything that would remotely be a repair, damage, cleaning, anything suspect not even a rim bump. When I contacted PCGS I asked for an explanation of the grade, they don't do that. Well if this was a common coin I'd let it go but this AU Details or "N1" grade significantly lowers the value of the coin. Why can't the "expert graders" give the reasons for their reviews of any coin that they have an issue with?

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Why can't the "expert graders" give the reasons for their reviews of any coin that they have an issue with?"

With the amount of coins PCGS grades there is no way they could talk to every customer that has a question about their grades.

If you post clear photos of your coin in question members here may be able to help.

• Options

They have the time to write down that the coin is impacted in some way but can’t go a few words farther to give a real understanding of the coins issue? Hard to believe!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

They grade roughly 300,000 coins a month. No time to explain grades.

3 rim nicks away from Good