Home Sports Talk
Options

Deandre Hopkins furious about helmet to helmet non-call

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2022 1:07PM in Sports Talk

During yesterday's Cardinals vs Vikings game, Deandre Hopkins took a pretty vicious blow to the head, helmet to helmet, and it wasn't flagged or even reviewed. He took to Twitter, still very upset about it. Here is the article about it, and the video of the incident is below the article.

NFL World Reacts To DeAndre Hopkins Unhappy News

Questionable calls and no-calls from NFL officials are as much of a tradition as touchdowns these days, and a recent no-call has Arizona Cardinals wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins fuming.

During yesterday's game against the Minnesota Vikings, Hopkins took a big shot to the head from a Vikings defender while trying to make a play in the endzone. But no flag was thrown and no discussion among the referees even took place.

Hopkins took to Twitter after the game in a rage. He posted a video of the hit to the head he took and called out the NFL to give him an explanation.

The Cardinals wide receiver wasn't alone in calling out the NFL for this. Many fans have taken to the comments to amplify what he said, complaining that the NFL is breaking its own commitments to player safety by not acting quickly on this.

The NFL's priority has certainly appeared to be prioritizing quarterback safety over the safety of players that play the other 21 positions on offense and defense.

Tons of questionable calls that have been overly protective of quarterbacks have been made while obvious misses like this one are far too common.

There has to be a middle ground somewhere but it might take ages to get it resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Comments

• Options

A pathetic job by the referees, almost as pathetic as Aaron Rodgers celebrating after the Bills game last night.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 3:06PM

Happens all the time.......What's the big deal?.....I was at a game yesterday when two helmet to helmet contacts were not called......Both were game changers. It was shown on the BIG SCREEN....Fans from BOTH teams couldn't believe it!...Whatever,...All in All, MOST FUN I ever had at a football game!.......Niners fans love the Rams.....and......Rams fans love the Niners!.......Yea, we're weird out here on the Left Coast.....but.....One Big Happy Dysfunctional Family!.....As the Niner fan said yesterday, "Man,...this is the Loser Bowl!"..... Go Rams!......Go Niners!.......and.....Go Bills!.....The Bills are the best....and that kid from Firebaugh, California is going to take them all the way!.....Niners and Rams fans are rooting for him too!.......Just Another Day In Paradise!....

Wish You Were Here.....

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Happens all the time.......What's the big deal?.....I was at a game yesterday when two helmet to helmet contacts were not called......Both were game changers. It was shown on the BIG SCREEN....Fans from BOTH teams couldn't believe it!...Whatever,...All in All, MOST FUN I ever had at a football game!.......Niners fans love the Rams.....and......Rams fans love the Niners!.......Yea, we're weird out here on the Left Coast.....but.....One Big Happy Dysfunctional Family!.....As the Niner fan said yesterday, "Man,...this is the Loser Bowl!"..... Go Rams!......Go Niners!.......and.....Go Bills!.....The Bills are the best....and that kid from Firebaugh, California is going to take them all the way!.....Niners and Rams fans are rooting for him too!.......Just Another Day In Paradise!....

Wish You Were Here.....

With all due respect young Grasshopper, it's a big deal because someone isn't going to get up one day, or get their neck snapped. You protect the quarterbacks from hits like this, protect the other players as well.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2022 3:28PM

@doubledragon said:

@Hydrant said:

Wish You Were Here.....

With all due respect young Grasshopper, it's a big deal because someone isn't going to get up one day, or get their neck snapped. You protect the quarterbacks from hits like this, protect the other players as well.

I was being sarcastic, Dragon Master.......OF COURSE ITS A BIG DEAL!!!!......The fans in the stands, Niner and Ram fans were APPALLED by the non-calls!.....It was SO obvious, nobody could believe a penalty wasn't called......😵

As The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ said at the time, " That had to hurt!"

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is equally as infuriating

It's sheer stupidity

We have discussed this before

Look at the score, look at the time remaining, look at what happened

https://youtu.be/SsH31VvNaAQ

• Options
    edited October 31, 2022 3:50PM

Helmet to helmet contact story....... Long ago, I was a football player....... One day in a team meeting, the head coach held up one of our team helmets......Our helmets were blue. The helmet was blue with many, many streaks of yellow paint on the top. The team we just played wore yellow helmets. The helmet belonged to Ralph. Ralph was an offensive guard. Nice guy. Anyway, the coach said, "I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE THIS AGAIN!.....HELMETS ARE TO PROTECT YOUR HEAD!....THEY ARE NOT A WEAPON! USE YOUR SHOULDER PADS!!....NOT YOUR HEAD!!!!"...... sound advise....
    And......there is a thread up right now titled, " What Is The Saddest Thing In Professional Sports. ".......When I first saw it my immediate thought was helmet to helmet contact...... If I was the Football God in charge?.......Anytime a player goes helmet to helmet?????....... LIFETIME BAN......NEVER PLAY AGAIN!!!!!!

• Options
    edited October 31, 2022 4:03PM

@galaxy27 said:
    This is equally as infuriating

It's sheer stupidity

We have discussed this before

Look at the score, look at the time remaining, look at what happened

https://youtu.be/SsH31VvNaAQ

You got that right, Galixco. That play made people at the game sick. It was what everyone talked about after the game.....I saw it,....up close......SICK!....Why the Hell was he even in the game??....He is all the Rams have.....best runner....best reciever, probably best passer!......Niner fans were all in agreement.......before and after the game.....Cooper Kupp is the BEST player in the NFL........because he is.....

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Helmet to helmet contact story....... Long ago, I was a football player....... One day in a team meeting, the head coach held up one of our team helmets......Our helmets were blue. The helmet was blue with many, many streaks of yellow paint on the top. The team we just played wore yellow helmets. The helmet belonged to Ralph. Ralph was an offensive guard. Nice guy. Anyway, the coach said, "I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE THIS AGAIN!.....HELMETS ARE TO PROTECT YOUR HEAD!....THEY ARE NOT A WEAPON! USE YOUR SHOULDER PADS!!....NOT YOUR HEAD!!!!"...... sound advise....
    And......there is a thread up right now titled, " What Is The Saddest Thing In Professional Sports. ".......When I first saw it my immediate thought was helmet to helmet contact...... If I was the Football God in charge?.......Anytime a player goes helmet to helmet?????....... LIFETIME BAN......NEVER PLAY AGAIN!!!!!!

When I played football back in the early 90s, our coaches used to let us hit each other in practice full force, I remember more than a few nights I went home with a headache, God only knows how many concussions I suffered and didn't even know it, we used to tear eachother up in hitting drills, two single file lines facing eachother, when the whistle blows you lower the boom on the guy across from you, helmet to helmet, it was the norm back then. This was back before much was known about concussions and protocol. I wouldn't be surprised if I have some CTE on my brain.

• Options

I remember our coaches used to make us do this drill, they called it "six inches", and you lay down flat on your back and when they blow the whistle you lift both legs up about 6 inches in the air and hold them their until they blow the whistle again, it was torture on your stomach, we did it everyday.