Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1956 Topps Complete Set In PSA 8 and PSA 9

I was just talking with Chris Porter at Superior and he told me that he just purchased a complete set of 1956 Topps in PSA 8 and 9. If any of you collect it, be sure to call him as I know these things tend to go pretty quickly. He was just headed out the door at 6 PM EST.

Phone is (231) 922-9862 Fax: (231) 922-9965 e-mail: chris@superiorsports.com

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Seems like a sweet set! Keep in mind that the smr lists an "8" set at $36,000+ and a "9" at $149,000+ So based on the variety of 9's it could be rather expensive. And who's to say that Superior would sell it at smr levels...jay
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I guarantee you that based on what I just paid for some key 1951 Bowman cards, SMR is not the selling price. Nonetheless, Chris is definitely a good and fair guy to deal with. Plus, people typically know whether the card is worth the selling price or not at that level. I'm not sure what constitutes low pop. in the set as it appears that there are only a handful below 40 in PSA 8 or better. The PSA 9's will definitely go for good bucks as it appears that there are only around 1,200 total for a 340 card set. Like everything else, supply and demand will set the price for the marketplace.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 491 ✭✭
    Will the set be in the next auction or is he selling it for a flat price?
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    It is being broken up for individual retail sale and is available now according to Chris. The cards won't be listed on the site until it is cherry-picked for a couple of weeks by the regulars and anyone who contacts him about certain cards. It is "first come - first served" as usual. I imagine that some cards have already been sold. I was very fortunate to get five cards that I needed in my 1951 set the same way. I have already paid for them, but since I was on vacation, Chris held off on shipping them until today. I'll update you guys once I add them to the registry (hopefully by the end of this week).
  • Options
    You mean to say that they are selling the cards at prices higher than those listed in their own house "organ", THE Pricing Authority, the reflection of the market, The SMR????? well I'm shocked!!!image

A sad commentary on the pricing in the SMR when one of their own subsidiaries chooses to ignore the "accurate" information to be found within the covers.

We pay to subscribe to this information yet they choose avoid the issue. A breach of fiduciary trust if ever there was.................
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Hey Zardoz,

You shouldn't be so hard on Superior. Rumor has it that if you buy $50,000 of these cards they will throw in THREE free gradings from PSA .
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Buckwheat,

Your post just caught me off guard during my first cup of coffee. Its between absurd and "yes I can see them doing that!!!" Pardon me while I clean off the keyboard...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    zardoz - but if they update the SMR prices to the sale prices right after they sell the cards, then it will be accurate. They will just be the market leader. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Nick

Ah, if it were only so!

But we know better don't we?

• Options
    Buckwheat

Did you say THREE ?????????

That more than makes up for ignoring the accurate pricing to be found in SMR, THE Pricing Authority. image
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    ...raise the SMR prices after they sell....

Better yet, they can raise the SMR prices now, before they sell and maximize their profits, but that's only cynical me talking after a night of reviewing my last submission to PSA!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!