Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know how many Mexico Milled 1732's of each denomination were minted?

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2022 12:43PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Only thing I know is they made more 8 reales but nothing else. I am not asking for exact numbers but estimates.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited October 30, 2022 12:47PM

Is the 1732 2 reales considered the rarest of them all then followed by the 1/2 real and 1 real? And then 4 reales and 8 reales? What order in rarity if this is not correct?

I started collecting Mexican coins 2 years ago (I know that is not a long time) and the only milled 1732 I have yet to see come up for sale is the 2 reales.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

I do not believe anyone knows. In 1732 the Mexico mint struck cobs, Klippes and Columnarios. The only records I have ever seen listed in reference books list the total silver used (in pesos) with no breakdown of denomination or style. And those charts usually don't even show any figures for 1732 minting. Additionally, per Gilboy page 71, the Spanish melted down 57,887,380 pesos of pillar coinage between 1772 and 1776 which was equal to 13.4% of the entire Mo production from 1732-1771. This is one of those coins where mintage figures are not really indicative of scarcity. Add into the mix coins lost on shipwrecks (think 1733 Plate Fleet disaster) and piracy.

• Options

@Crazy8s said:
    I do not believe anyone knows. In 1732 the Mexico mint struck cobs, Klippes and Columnarios. The only records I have ever seen listed in reference books list the total silver used (in pesos) with no breakdown of denomination or style. And those charts usually don't even show any figures for 1732 minting. Additionally, per Gilboy page 71, the Spanish melted down 57,887,380 pesos of pillar coinage between 1772 and 1776 which was equal to 13.4% of the entire Mo production from 1732-1771. This is one of those coins where mintage figures are not really indicative of scarcity. Add into the mix coins lost on shipwrecks (think 1733 Plate Fleet disaster) and piracy.

That is is what I figured but was not 100% sure. Thanks.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only 1732 piece. Nearly mint state.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@BustDMs said:

My only 1732 piece. Nearly mint state.

Nice cob!!!