Home Sports Talk
Options

Verlander a terrible big game pitcher.

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone always talks about Kershaw being a terrible big-game pitcher, but I was checking out Verlander after last night's debacle, and I guess I never realized how terrible he has been in the World Series. In the biggest games of the season, he has an ERA over 6! If I were a manager, I dont think I would start Verlander in the WS. He is a great pitcher otherwise. If he keeps this up, he will give Kershaw a run for his money.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess there are two ways to look at that and one of them says that wasn't a big game. He'd just come off of a dominant outing where he pitched quite well. He should be back on the hill in game five or six, either of which could be an elimination game or a clinch game. Those will qualify as "BIG" games in my book.

Let's see how he does then.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    I guess there are two ways to look at that and one of them says that wasn't a big game. He'd just come off of a dominant outing where he pitched quite well. He should be back on the hill in game five or six, either of which could be an elimination game or a clinch game. Those will qualify as "BIG" games in my book.

Let's see how he does then.

I would say ANY world series game is a big game. He has started 8 of them and has an ERA of 6.07

• Options

Isn't it strange how some players shrink away during the playoffs and WS while others show up?? During the two series' the Yankees played it was Aaron Judge who vanished and Harrison Bader who accounted for a large part of their offense.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some players just get too tight and just make a small tense adjustment they do not know they are doing.

I watched an analysis of Greg Norman the golfer in his prime. When he got to the big shots on the 18th hole, it was said he gripped the club to tight and would always block out the shots to the right. So not sure if Verlander is just gripping the ball a bit tighter.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

many deny, but I think Alfonz24 is onto it here. some people do get "tight" during stressful moments. that will effect however slightly, how players fundamentals work while at the plate, on the mound or behind center.

for those of us who ever took a speech class in college, remember how wound up some people would get when it was their turn and the stress was dialed up? multiply that by 3MM in the world series or SB.

• Options

Verlander had a really good outing at season's end against the Phillies so it'll be a good comparison when he pitches against them now. I checked his stats and he really is terrible in WS starts, so I guess @craig44 is onto something.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2023 8:10AM

@craig44 said:
    Everyone always talks about Kershaw being a terrible big-game pitcher, but I was checking out Verlander after last night's debacle, and I guess I never realized how terrible he has been in the World Series. In the biggest games of the season, he has an ERA over 6! If I were a manager, I dont think I would start Verlander in the WS. He is a great pitcher otherwise. If he keeps this up, he will give Kershaw a run for his money.

I thought of this thread when I saw how a couple nights ago on Saturday Oct 7, Kershaw was far beyond horrific while Verlander was fantastic. Wishing Verlander was still a Detroit Tiger.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

Verlander had one really bad WS in 2012 where he lead the league in innings and had thrown over 250 innings already. His WS numbers are not great by any means but most of the time he was just worn out or left in too long after a big workload all year.

His post season era is 3.54, big games arent a problem for him but being worn out is

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

Good start for Verlander, cant win if you dont score though

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes these are the highest stakes games but if you enter a playoff series against a better team you lose the series. great pitcher on the bad team will have a loss and bad stats

bad pitcher on a powerhouse could have stats that make him look better than he really is also

as the team goes so does pitching

same happens in all sports
    in the super high scoring days of the NHL great goalies all had very high GAA compared to today norms , but if your team scores 8 goals it doesnt matter