Home Sports Talk
Options

One of the saddest things in Professional Sports.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

To my way of thinking, one of the saddest things for us fans in Professional Sports is to watch an athlete play past his time, to continue when the end seems to have already be passed. Such would appear to be the case with Tom Brady. Almost as sad is to hear announcers and fans drone on and on that he will somehow pull himself out of it, that the poor play will eventually improve and the player we have come to expect will rise up like some Phoenix to regain his old glory. At this point, it seems improbable.

Last night I waited for Troy(Tom, let me carry your water) Aikman to simply call things as they were as the GOAT threw high over a receiver, low into the ground or got nervous feet. Instead he chose to make excuses. Granted, this isn't a very good iteration of the Buccaneers, neither the players or the coaches are performing well, but Brady looks like his spirit is broken, like maybe he isn't where he wants to be or doing what he wants to do.

I guess I understand the emotion involved. I went through a divorce, I went through the end of a career. It's different when that all plays out once a week in full view of millions and it seems as though the entire world is watching and talking about it. My hope for TB is that the situation in Tampa Bay doesn't get so bad that a change at QB is even considered let alone implemented. That would be crushing and an absolute terrible way to end such a fantastic story.

Maywood.

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I agree. I hated seeing Jordan with the Wizards. Just a shell of his former self. Big Ben last year was hard to watch.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just look at his face, he looks miserable.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

26/44 325 yards 1 TD/0 INT Averaged 7.4 yards per attempt.

On pace for 4,800 Yards 19TD/2 INT.

60% of OL injured/retired
    worst running game in the league

Tommys doing alright. Put him in SF or MIA and see what the numbers would be.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

by the way, he hasn't thrown an interception in 315 pass attempts...

• Options

:)

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going down in value every loss
    :D

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 6:56AM

having watched Brady the past few weeks, last night it finally dawned on me what he looks like out there: a game manager

mistakes are going to be rare, but so are extraordinary plays

for him to add more jewelry it would require a very stout D and a solid running game, and Tampa has neither of those things

• Options

@clarke442 said:
    Going down in value every loss
    :D

Oh I wouldn’t worry about it. 5 years after he retires the HOF vote will boost it or record levels

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is still playing pretty well, it's the TEAM around him that's no good.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

The "bad team" excuse doesn't seem to work for other QB's in the NFL, why is it valid here?? If you watched the same game as me you saw errant throws and what could easily had been three Int's, one of them coming on his very first pass. I'm not criticizing the GOAT, just trying to be objective.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that Brady is going down hill, and I also think that most of his problems have been self inflicted. Clearly he's on an ego trip and football is #1 in his mind, when in fact his family should be #1, not lower in the pecking order. To think this man has (had) over a half a billion in assets, lives a life we could only dream about, yet appears to be hell bent on self destruction is indeed a mystery. Brady now has 4 losses, and his chances to go to the next SB are diminishing rapidly. He is now the most sacked qb in NFL history, in excess of 500 I believe. I think he's lost a step or two and isn't as quick as he once was to read the defense and act accordingly. He may one day get to the next superbowl, but at what price?? Is he gonna sit in a trophy room with his awards, paper the walls with Benjamins and then wonder what the hell have I done when he sees the new guy in Giselle's life picking up his kids?? THAT will be a stinger!!!

He has a gorgeous wife, who apparently has had her fill of football and Brady's ego, one can only imagine what his beautiful children are going through. Just goes to show, that when you have it all, its either never enough, or fries your brain into some delusional place that you now live in.

Two things make smart men stupid, beautiful women and sports - Colin Cowherd

GL Terrific Tom, you once had it all, now, not so much, and you're gonna lose more.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps, you raise the mental aspect of Tom Brady which isn't spoken of as everyone centers on his physical ability. He looks distracted. Can you imagine Tampa Bay backing into the playoffs with a 10-7 or 9-8 record to be easily beaten and ending his career??

• Options

I think it's funny when people opine about the divorce. first off, its none of our business. second, we dont know what happened there. we all THINK we do, but we dont. there could have been a whole bunch of different things going on that we have no idea about. I am pretty sure there is more to the story than Tommy's job situation.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with @craig44 in that I do not see a significant decline in Brady. That is in terms of physical ability. However, one of his best attributes was always his commitment and focus. This is what is missing, imo.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports can definitely interfere with a marriage. Like just last weekend, I wanted to watch a certain game, but my wife wanted to sit on the bench in the yard and chat, so I just put a substitute in my place.

• Options

DD, I think that's why a Football fan invented the DVR!! :p

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Some great athletes just don't know when to hang up the cleats. See the stats for Johnny Unitas as he finished his career in San Diego. [BTW, I once sat at the same table as Johnny U -- a wedding reception in about 1979.]

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

If it were me, I would have gone out on top, right after the SB win at Tampa. Certainly not about the money. Soetimes the ego just gets in the way.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady just announced on Instagram that his divorce in finalized. If Tom just ends up retiring at the end of this season was it really worth it? Its a crap situation for his kids here.

• Options

I don't blame him for coming back after the last Super Bowl because it made sense for that team to try to repeat. His decision to retire after that was understandable, though.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2022 5:13PM

whether or not Tommys washed (or Arod, Ryan or any other player) it has never ever bothered me when players in any sport have the desire to play past their peak. I just enjoy watching them. I loved seeing Nolan Ryan, Brett, Henderson, Ripken, Clemens, Montana, Marino, Manning, Brees, Moon etc play well past their peaks. I enjoyed reminiscing and watching them still get out there.

Who defines what Going out on top means anyways? Elway and Manning both ended with super bowls but were shells of their prime selves. Is that considered going out on top? Drew Brees had a literal noodle arm 2 years ago, but I still enjoyed seeing him play.

If it were me, they would have to rip the jersey off from my body

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

If it were me, they would have to rip the jersey off from my body

>
    >
    I agree completely. Apparently most great players do too. Very few retire before their abilities are long gone.

I also agree that his personal life is not our business.

The last time he played against the Vikings, he looked horrible, I thought he was washed up..........then he threw a perfect long pass for a TD and led his team to victory.

He is/was an amazing QB.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Everyone is pondering Tom’s situation.
    I’ll give you a what if nobody mentioned.
    Tom Brady retired to try to save his marriage. When he realized she was divorcing him anyways and it couldn’t be saved he came back to play. Not I’m playing anyways and you can divorce me if you want to.
    It’s actually none of our business but isn’t that something no one has even speculated?

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of anything, it's hard to walk away from a contract that will pay you $15 million/year.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Everyone is pondering Tom’s situation.
    I’ll give you a what if nobody mentioned.
    Tom Brady retired to try to save his marriage. When he realized she was divorcing him anyways and it couldn’t be saved he came back to play. Not I’m playing anyways and you can divorce me if you want to.
    It’s actually none of our business but isn’t that something no one has even speculated?

I agree with this 100%. we dont, and probably will never know the true reasons for this. And it is no one's business but theirs. You can bet, though, that a lot more than Tommys job situation caused this.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

there hasn't been much of any drop off in his play, he just isn't dedicated to the sport like he used to be, you can't take all thise days off and expect to just show up on Sunday and win