Home Sports Talk

What NFL rule would you like changed/omitted.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Intentional grounding should be called when a QB launches the ball practically into the stands. It's obvious they are throwing the ball away. It's called when the QB grounds it in the field of play w/o a receiver nearby. No way a receiver is in the stands ready to catch the ball.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 and 20 and a ticky-tack defensive holding gives the offense a first down. How about a 5 yard penalty and 3rd and 15?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assisting the runner used to be a penalty and the NFL should revert back to that, no longer allowing players to help push the pile containing the runner downfield.

When the offensive team is advancing to the endzone and the ball is fumbled out of the endzone it should be given back to them at the 20 yard line, not turned over to the other team.

Similar to what @2dueces wants changed, defensive PI should be a 10 yard penalty, not a spot penalty and certainly not at the one yard line if committed in the endzone. Get rid of these 30-40 yard penalties for hand fighting or bumping into a receiver.

--- The NFL should add a "Mercy Rule" so that teams like Detroit and Cleveland can just end their seasons early!! :p

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 4:07AM

@Maywood said:
    Assisting the runner used to be a penalty and the NFL should revert back to that, no longer allowing players to help push the pile containing the runner downfield.

When the offensive team is advancing to the endzone and the ball is fumbled out of the endzone it should be given back to them at the 20 yard line, not turned over to the other team.

Similar to what @2dueces wants changed, defensive PI should be a 10 yard penalty, not a spot penalty and certainly not at the one yard line if committed in the endzone. Get rid of these 30-40 yard penalties for hand fighting or bumping into a receiver.

--- The NFL should add a "Mercy Rule" so that teams like Detroit and Cleveland can just end their seasons early!! :p

I also dislike that endzone fumble turnover.

I thought assisting the runner was still a penalty, they just don't call it.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Intentional grounding should be called when a QB launches the ball practically into the stands. It's obvious they are throwing the ball away. It's called when the QB grounds it in the field of play w/o a receiver nearby. No way a receiver is in the stands ready to catch the ball.

Are you talking about if they are outside the tackle box? I assume you are, just checking.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the intentional grounding penalty even for outside the tackle box. That sure would help out defenses.

I cant stand watching QBs run out of the pocket playing hero ball knowing there is only a loss of down as a penalty for what should be intentional grounding.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@thisistheshow said: I thought assisting the runner was still a penalty, they just don't call it.

It's no longer a penalty.

Apparently the "Intentional Grounding" is a mental hotfoot for a lot of us. It's always pretty clear what's going on and it should be a penalty when the QB "intentionally" throws incomplete to avoid a loss. The solution is simple: no penalty, but you just threw an incomplete pass and the ball is spotted where it was thrown from.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I agree with the intentional grounding penalty even for outside the tackle box. That sure would help out defenses.

I cant stand watching QBs run out of the pocket playing hero ball knowing there is only a loss of down as a penalty for what should be intentional grounding.

Would you outlaw the QB "spike" as well?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • paulb71paulb71 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

illegal contact, and defensive holding within reason !!! I can't count how many times I see a 3rd and 15 and because of a really minor illegal contact or holding call the offense gets a 1st down and most of the times the minor penalty had nothing to do with the outcome on 3rd down. ..

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

that is a great point. I have never thought about it actually. I think it has been around as long as i have watched football and i got used to it. It sure does seem like it should be considered intentional grounding though.

I guess, in order to stay consistent, I would outlaw the QB spike. Or maybe better yet, instead of outlawing it, consider it intentional grounding with the loss of both yards and down. if that were a new rule, i think coaches sure would be a little more wary of overusing TO's earlier in the half and save them for the end

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

that is a great point. I have never thought about it actually. I think it has been around as long as i have watched football and i got used to it. It sure does seem like it should be considered intentional grounding though.

I guess, in order to stay consistent, I would outlaw the QB spike. Or maybe better yet, instead of outlawing it, consider it intentional grounding with the loss of both yards and down. if that were a new rule, i think coaches sure would be a little more wary of overusing TO's earlier in the half and save them for the end

I never liked the spike. Seems unfair to the defense.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Offsetting penalties almost always favors the offense. 3rd and 5 and an incomplete pass. Holding on the offense (10 yards ) defensive holding ( 5 yards ) repeat 3rd down. Gives the offense another play. Not much can be done about it but it’s certainly an advantage to the offense.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would make PI a 10 yard penalty. I don't like the spot of foul yardage on that penalty. Most PI penalties end up being much more yardage than a personal foul penalty and I have never understood that, in the college game they have it right where it is just a 15 yard penalty and not a spot foul. The rules are so slanted if favor of the offense in my opinion.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    I would make PI a 10 yard penalty. I don't like the spot of foul yardage on that penalty. Most PI penalties end up being much more yardage than a personal foul penalty and I have never understood that, in the college game they have it right where it is just a 15 yard penalty and not a spot foul. The rules are so slanted if favor of the offense in my opinion.

It's a spot foul if it's inside of 15 yards.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I've seen it called in that situation, as it should be.

edited October 28, 2022 8:16PM

Here's mine:

On offensive penalties that send up being "half the distance", move the first down marker the other half of the penalty.

For example:

1st and 10 from the 10. First down is the 20. Offense gets holding. Ball moves back to 5. Currently, they'd have 1st and 15. My change - the penalty is supposed to be 10 yards but was only 5. So move the marker the other 5. So now the marker is the 25 and it's 1st and 20 just like it would be in the middle of the field.

Other ideas:

1) Defensive offsides stops the play. No more "free plays".

2) Don't like #1? Fine. No more simulating the snap by quarterbacks - no lifting the leg without a snap, no more claps without a snap, no more head bobs, no more voice inflection nonsense. If the defense can't simulate the snap to draw a false start, the offense shouldn't be able to do the same to draw an offsides.

3) One of the following: eliminate all automatic first downs on defensive penalties except personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct OR all offensive penalties include loss of down (unless it's already 4th).

3) One of the following: eliminate all automatic first downs on defensive penalties except personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct OR all offensive penalties include loss of down (unless it's already 4th).

Agreed

W.C.Fields

@Tabe said:
    Here's mine:

On offensive penalties that send up being "half the distance", move the first down marker the other half of the penalty.

For example:

1st and 10 from the 10. First down is the 20. Offense gets holding. Ball moves back to 5. Currently, they'd have 1st and 15. My change - the penalty is supposed to be 10 yards but was only 5. So move the marker the other 5. So now the marker is the 25 and it's 1st and 20 just like it would be in the middle of the field.

Other ideas:

1) Defensive offsides stops the play. No more "free plays".

2) Don't like #1? Fine. No more simulating the snap by quarterbacks - no lifting the leg without a snap, no more claps without a snap, no more head bobs, no more voice inflection nonsense. If the defense can't stimulate the snap to draw a false start, the offense shouldn't be able to do the same to draw an offsides.

I LOVE #2 that has always bugged me too. If the OL cannot move a finger without a false start penalty, neither should the QB be allowed to turn cartwheels in an effort to draw the defense off sides.

good call!

Get rid of the Hook Slide that protects a running QB from getting hit. If he wants to run he deserves to be tackled.

@thisistheshow said: I thought assisting the runner was still a penalty, they just don't call it.

After last night's game there's clarification on the "assisting the runner" rule: When the rule was changed around 2006 the NFL apparently just changed half of it. You can "push" the runner but you can't "pull" the runner.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

After last night's game there's clarification on the "assisting the runner" rule: When the rule was changed around 2006 the NFL apparently just changed half of it. You can "push" the runner but you can't "pull" the runner.

It seems as though the push is the more common situation.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will go extreme. No coin flips. Winner of the option is determined by arm wrestling.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Maywood said:
    Get rid of the Hook Slide that protects a running QB from getting hit. If he wants to run he deserves to be tackled.

I would agree with this. I understand cleaning up the hits to the head, but this is not flag football. If you run, you should be fair game for a clean, legal tackle