Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UPDATE Opened 2000 Topps Traded set, 1990 Score Supp, plus a surprise 82 Red Lobster Cubs

1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

Pics below!

2000 Topps traded, I figure I have a 1 in 85 chance of getting the Miguel Cabrera auto plus still have a chance at a decent lesser auto...and of course a high grade base card of Cabrera.

Looking for a high Grade Emmitt in the Score supplemental.

Was going to pour a glass of Bourbon and take a shot to see what unfolds.

I've never opened either of those products...so not sure how good the condition odds sit with me.

Comments

• Options

To those that don’t rip. Hopefully you don’t die without the enjoyment of such.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

I have ripped about twenty 2000 Topps Traded sets and pulled one Cabrera auto that graded a PSA 8.5. I have done better on the base Cabrera cards with four PSA 10s and four PSA 9s.

Of the two I would lean towards the 2000 Topps Traded set since you get two bites at the apple, one auto chance and one regular traded card.

The couple of 1990 Score Football supplemental sets I opened had OC Emmitt RCs.

A few years back I picked up some Topps Traded and Topps Chrome Traded sets since I figured once Cabrera retires people will remember what a force he was (sort of like how Pujols cards were down during his Angels years).

Robb

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1990 Score Supplemental sets have Styrofoam on the ends that does a nice job of protecting the cards. Like Robb said, the challenge on the Emmitt is always centering. I have opened about a dozen sets and pulled five 9s and the rest were 8s.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer to rip factory sets. You are going to get at least one good card, ripping packs never seems to get me the big kahuna.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@fergie23 said:
    I have ripped about twenty 2000 Topps Traded sets and pulled one Cabrera auto that graded a PSA 8.5. I have done better on the base Cabrera cards with four PSA 10s and four PSA 9s.

Of the two I would lean towards the 2000 Topps Traded set since you get two bites at the apple, one auto chance and one regular traded card.

The couple of 1990 Score Football supplemental sets I opened had OC Emmitt RCs.

A few years back I picked up some Topps Traded and Topps Chrome Traded sets since I figured once Cabrera retires people will remember what a force he was (sort of like how Pujols cards were down during his Angels years).

Robb

Thanks for the tip!

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    The 1990 Score Supplemental sets have Styrofoam on the ends that does a nice job of protecting the cards. Like Robb said, the challenge on the Emmitt is always centering. I have opened about a dozen sets and pulled five 9s and the rest were 8s.

Thanks for the tip!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

open those babies up!! If you dont, you will always wonder.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    open those babies up!! If you dont, you will always wonder.

Looks like I'm going to set aside some time on Sunday afternoon to open them....will skip the Bourbon though as I imagine I will have my fill of that the night before.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

Excited to see your results!

• Options

I decided to come home today and tear into a few sets. It was fun and relaxing. No suspense, I did not pull the big Cabrera auto. My pics are awful because there isn't natural light and there is glare from light bulbs, but didn't want to wait. Here we go:

• Options
    edited October 27, 2022 4:31PM

The back of this set had some sort of brown stain on it...so it made it really easy to decide to open it!

• Options

Too bad it wasn't a Jim

• Options

That is a light glare along the left edge, not chipping. Sorry for the glares. After I opened them I wanted to get them right into plastic and don't want to take them out again when the lighting is better.

• Options

Those are glares along the edges not chipping.

• Options

Super sharp. O/C. Ugh.

• Options

I don't remember if the 86 Topps set came wrapped too. This has been sitting in a box since the 1980's. Ryan, eh, not the best example. Some weird wavy like appearance on the black edge you can't see in the pic.

• Options

What could have been. Nomar, I was a big fan back in the day!

Always loved having this card and this is the only one I ever owned, even though I could never see it because it was sealed in the box, lol. I probably should have opened it in 1999.

• Options

Opened these and the cards were already ear marked as giveaways to a couple fans.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pull on the 1982 Ryno! Congrats. The Cabrera and Nomar look really clean too. Thanks for sharing the rips…great to see these iconic cards.

• Options

Nice Sandberg!

SWEET!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

That Ryno is insanely cool! Never seen that set before. Love it. Nice Raines as well.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 7:23AM

@FirstBeard said:
    That Ryno is insanely cool! Never seen that set before. Love it. Nice Raines as well.

As a giveaway at Wrigley Field in 1982 they only made 15,000 sets.

I always found it to be a hidden gem. There are only 147 PSA graded ones in total. 46 nines and 43 tens in the PSA pop report. I ddin't check the pops on SGC or BGS, but there really aren't a ton of these out there.

Plus it is a cool looking card.

He also has 1983 Thorne Apple Valley card that has the same design but different photo. That Thorne Apple Valley team set has a Joe Carter RC in it too. The Carter was a big one back in the day before he petered out.

I may pop open the 1983 set too.

• Options

Opened the 1983 Cubs Team set as well:

• Options

Love the 83 as well! Super slick.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2022 5:12AM

Picked baseball card day for my Cubs game as a 10 year old in 1982. Still have the cards. Ryno had been in lucite from about ‘84 until I put it in a card saver about 10 years ago. Pulled the Smith out when he made the HOF.

Have always loved that he is playing 3B in it like he did in ‘82.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@FirstBeard said:

I always found it to be a hidden gem. There are only 147 PSA graded ones in total. 46 nines and 43 tens in the PSA pop report. I ddin't check the pops on SGC or BGS, but there really aren't a ton of these out there.

He also has 1983 Thorne Apple Valley card that has the same design but different photo. That Thorne Apple Valley team set has a Joe Carter RC in it too. The Carter was a big one back in the day before he petered out.

This leads me to a question;

ln general, aren't these type of sets kind of worthless?

I have a few "Doruss The Rookies" type sets I bought years ago, should I take out the star cards and just throw the commons away?

I have been hanging on to an 1989 Upper Deck hockey high number set for years. Only 1 card seems to be worth anything and the set still sells for $25.00.

These sets don't seem to have any value, but if you get lucky and one of the stars grades a 10, you might have something.

Thoughts?

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@FirstBeard said:

This leads me to a question;

ln general, aren't these type of sets kind of worthless?

I have a few "Doruss The Rookies" type sets I bought years ago, should I take out the star cards and just throw the commons away?

I have been hanging on to an 1989 Upper Deck hockey high number set for years. Only 1 card seems to be worth anything and the set still sells for $25.00.

These sets don't seem to have any value, but if you get lucky and one of the stars grades a 10, you might have something.

Thoughts?

Some sets definitely suck up space quickly and with limited monetary value. I don't think the '82 Red Lobster Cubs is one of those sets though. A Sandberg in a 9 is a $200 card and ungraded is $50 in nice shape. The wrapped set is around $100-$120.

Sets like the Donruss Rookies sets absolutely can be kind of worthless. I think the '86 Donruss rookies still has a value of around $30 still sealed. You are right that you need a 10 on the big stars in those sets otherwise it isn't worth grading them. The next few years Donruss rookies sets after that they are basically paper weights.

• Options

^ I am in the process of moving into a tiny house and getting rid of THOUSANDS of mint commons.

I am pulling rookies that became stars and HOFers.

I came across some Upper Deck Members choice sets (1991&1992 still sealed) and was surprised at how cheap they sold for. The 1994 set isn't sealed. The Griffey, Thomas and Bonds cards don't seem to have any value!?!? Beautiful cards!

The Donruss "The Rookies" set has an Avery rookie in it. He goes for a couple of bucks.😩

Looks like the garbage can is going to be full.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    ^ I am in the process of moving into a tiny house and getting rid of THOUSANDS of mint commons.

I am pulling rookies that became stars and HOFers.

I came across some Upper Deck Members choice sets (1991&1992 still sealed) and was surprised at how cheap they sold for. The 1994 set isn't sealed. The Griffey, Thomas and Bonds cards don't seem to have any value!?!? Beautiful cards!

The Donruss "The Rookies" set has an Avery rookie in it. He goes for a couple of bucks.😩

Looks like the garbage can is going to be full.

I've done that before with some cards. I did it with some cheap old books and periodicals too. Recycle bin got filled a couple times. Donated some, but sometimes places don't want all that clutter either.