Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question about card album pages

I have several old albums of cards I accumulated back in the 80s-90s that are currently housed in UltraPro pages and have been for the better part of 30 years. As best I can tell, they are not getting any discoloration and they are not sticking inside the pockets.

Are there better pages out there? If so, which ones?

imageimage

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultra Pro were good. If there's not a problem, don't fix it.

Switching to a different product could end up doing more harm than good.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

You have a good product. I was also searching for good album pages and Ultra Pro Platinums were my choice. What is it that you wish was improved?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave as is. Ultra pro is good.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    You have a good product. I was also searching for good album pages and Ultra Pro Platinums were my choice. What is it that you wish was improved?

Not so much looking to improve anything, was worried about these things after 30 years and have not opened the albums in over 15 years. Some of the pages are Platinums as well. They seem to be stable, so I guess they will stay where they are.

Thanks for the comments!

imageimage

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Just be careful how you store your binders... the cards closest to the rings tend to get bent over time.

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

The UltraPro Platinums are high quality archival materials. They will not yellow or leave residue on your cards. The only disclaimer I can think of is what jeffcbay stated about the positioning of the album pages and the album itself. Make sure the album is not too full or even too empty. You want to make sure each page lies on an even plane whether stored vertical or horizontal. I am not positive if storing vertical or horizontal has a potential problem, but the pages must all be on the same flat plane at least. A sleeve for the album might also be a good idea to keep the dust away that can enter from the top of the album when stored vertically.

This brings me to my next point. The top of each page pocket is open, which exposes the top part of the card to air and the elements. However, if the pages are stored in a sequential flat plane, that opening is minimized and may even close completely due to the weight and pressure of the surrounding pages.

I have not tried this yet, but I am wondering if a card can be placed in a penny sleeve then in the pocket. This might be good for the key cards in the album if the fit is snug, but not too tight.

I do have both UltraPro 9-pocket pages and the penny sleeves, including a binder of the same brand, but I have not decided what set or cards I want to put in there yet. The album system is a great way to enjoy sets or one's collecting theme. I wanted to have the 1987 Donruss baseball set in the album pages, but a member here told it might not be the best use of resources. Yes, it's not an expensive set, but if its an era one has affinity for, then that justifies it.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

@jeffcbay said:
    Just be careful how you store your binders... the cards closest to the rings tend to get bent over time.

They have been laying flat for many years.

There is nothing much of significant value, just some team sets and a bunch of individuals I picked up over the years. The high value stuff is long gone when I got out of cards in the 90s.

imageimage

>

I have not tried this yet, but I am wondering if a card can be placed in a penny sleeve then in the pocket. This might be good for the key cards in the album if the fit is snug, but not too tight.

I did put cards in the sleeves before putting them in the 1/2 inch lucite screw downs. Made them much easier to remove.

imageimage