Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1826 2/6 GB

This was the first coin in my last submission- feel free to offer thoughts/opinions/grade estimates

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

1819 2/6... And this was the second. Which one graded higher and what is the basis for your opinion?

Should hopefully create some thoughts

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with the series and I don't know if coin one is representative of the type or not but boy it has a nice strike to it. Very attractive.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm. I will bite at 58 on the top and 62 for the second.
    Why?
    Well, there is some soft strike with "cabinet friction" on the King's hair, brow and jaw line; the reverse detail on the leaf designs to right and bust of the Irish harp, etc.
    The second, well, I don't like it as much as the first personally, but the king with mumps has similar spots on the King's nose, front brow, and cheek to some degree below eye. The reverse appears to have some high point friction analogous to the first.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

IMO they would both have to be MS as they are excellent coins that have no circulation wear or contact marks, with the exception a small cabinet friction as noted by others. Beautiful examples of Half Crown coins.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1828 was similarly presented and a soft strike with minimal cabinet friction on obverse got a "58" as well...I will try to find pictures somewhere....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coins

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

second one definitely higher....has a more striking appearance :)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting my thoughts on these two- I thought the 1826 would grade higher than it did and higher than the 1819 which it did not. In hand, the 1826 has nice color and the look I like. It graded 62... the 1819 has a rich gun metal color and graded 63