Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2018 Canadien Toonies without the nickle plated?

acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2022 7:42PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Empty my pocket and found this odd coin. I have search the Canadien coin and found no trace has to a Toonies without the three-layer nickel-plated steel. Any chance that this could be the case?

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I'm not a collector of modern Canadian coinage, and certainly not loonies or toonies. However, I think that the ring on the toonies is solid nickel, not plated. The odd color on yours is probably from oxidation or contact with a foreign substance.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

From the RCM website:

2012 – present
    Composition: outer ring – multi-ply nickel plated steel, insert – multi-ply brass plated aluminum bronze
    Weight (g): 6.92
    Diameter (mm): 28
    Thickness (mm): 1.75

It's possible the outer ring missed the plating step.

Syl - maybe Mikey should look at theses photos. Maybe counterfeit? Not camel toe.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2022 10:43AM

neither of the front feet on the two look right. I didn't know that more recent toonies were plated. I doubt that Jaime visits this site.

• Options

Wiil verify the bellow and let you know what I got.

Weight (g):
    (mm):
    Thickness (mm):

Regard

• Options

Here's the info.

Weight (g): 6.4 Difference of (0,10)
    Diameter (mm): 27.82 Difference of (0,09)
    Thickness (mm): 1.63 Difference of (0,06)

Would this make sense that the difference above in regard to the outer ring, would confirm that there is no l nickel layers?

• Options

Where you have the "differences", comparing the 2 readings are much more "off" than you stated. Also, the middle "inset" is greatly discolored like the ring. Could it be a heat or chemical interaction?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

See if you can get access to a handheld XRF (local dealer, jeweler or we buy gold place). Compare it to a regular coin. The iron should show up even in the posted coin, but the Ni will be much higher in the plated than an unplated. How much? Depends on the plating thickness and how deep the XRF penetrates. That's why you need to use a normal coin for a control reference point.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Would this option be reasonable if we compare the cost of analysis versus the value of this coin if it is legitimately chrome-free?

• Options
    edited October 31, 2022 12:25PM

The polar bear still looks to me to have camel-toes, especially right front just like the myriad of Chinese fakes.
    https://cameltoetoonies.ca/cameltoes.php

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=424464&SearchTerms=counterfeit,toonies

• Options
    SPPSPP Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

Take it to a jeweller and have the ring undergo an XRF analysis. The plated coins usually have multiple layers of varying compositions, so you might see Cu show up as a trace element. If unplated, you should only see Fe and Cr.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0
  • Options

HOW MANY SUSPECTED COUNTERFEIT TOONIES?

The right paw of the polar bear on the authentic coins, the four toes are all side by side. Seem to have the toes of the polar bear’s right paw splayed out from one another.
    The security leaf, is it laser cut?
    The 2 in the date, not the same courbature.
    The 0 in the date, narrower at the bottom.

• Options

There are millions of dollars of fake toonies out there. A photo would help your post.

• Options

• Options

These have been discussed on a different Canadian-oriented site for many years/months. They are called "camel-toed" toonies and they are out there by the millions. Read these 30+ pages in their entirety and you'll see what I'm talking about. Every Canadian site has threads on them. The RCMP is no closer to finding the people importing them from China, as they were 6-7 years ago. Some random coin rolls from banks contain 30-40% fakes.
    https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=377839&SearchTerms=camel,toe