Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I recently came across this Mark McGwire card

It looks like it was cut wrong and off center. Out of all my cards, I don't have another one like this. Is this common?

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

worthless

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common enough. QC was terrible in the '80s.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

The black dashed line is the edge of the printing area. His card was on the bottom row of the sheet. Restated - worthless.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know guys. There's at least one weirdo on here that collects these kind of things. :D

I won't debate on value but will give my opinion (which isn't worth anything). If looking at a complete print run of any given card set/year there will be a much higher percentage of properly cut cards opposed to miscuts. So in theory a miscut should indeed be a rarity. But there are lots of rare items with little to no value simply because no demand for them.

A Mark McGwire collector might like to add that to their collection just as an oddity. What they might pay i wouldn't know but a search of completed listings on eBay will show there is a market for miscuts in general. They are selling for $5 an under for many singles but there are exceptions.