Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1988 Florida Gators Emmitt Smith Burger King Card

I was digging through my cards and came across a 1988 Florida Gators Emmitt Smith Burger King graded PSA 10.

However, upon further digging, there are articles stating that PSA may have graded a number of cards that potentially are fake.

This card does not have the trademark logo next to the burger king or gators.

Any thoughts on the authenticity of this card?

Thanks

See

Comments

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Call PSA and see if you cand send it to them to double check?

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Now that you posted it here, they'll probably look at it and remove the cert number from their system if it's not authentic.

• Options

I also sent it to PSA research email however no response so far.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2022 7:37PM

The ones without the TMs are indeed fake and, unfortunately, many have been slabbed by TPGs. Hopefully PSA will make it right.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2022 1:54PM

Unfortunately this one is fake. No trademarks and the back Burger King logo letters are too skinny versus the original logo. PSA had a few fakes get through early on.

• Options

thanks for the information. are there any other examples of psa grading fake cards.

• Options
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

That’s even more concerning if that got into a new PSA holder. The real deal has the BK logo, proper and legible “TM” and copy-write symbols by BK and Gators logos, and correct BK logo color and font thickness (I.e. not skinny font on the back). That is a disaster if that non-logo version got through. It’s bad enough that the skinny logo fake passed too.

• Options

Fake BK logo with skinny “type face” font…

Genuine BK logo with trademark curviness…

• Options

Here is the BK logo evolution over the years. From 1969-1994, notice the “K” had curvy legs, which was true at the time the genuine 1988 Emmitt was issued. The forgers made these fakes after 1994 once Emmitt won his Super Bowls and became a hobby staple. They foolishly used the more modern block letter logo which was current at the time the fakes were printed. Hopefully this information helps others from getting cheated…

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

The real ones have 'R' next to each logo. Bigboyd sports cards put out millions in counterfeit stuff several years ago. https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/auctions/taft-counterfeit-scam-might-have-reached-1-milli

• Options

PSA finally got back to me and stated to send the card back to them. does anyone know what happens if they determine if the card is fake. do they keep the card, do they reimburse me for fees?

• Options

@robotur said:
    PSA finally got back to me and stated to send the card back to them. does anyone know what happens if they determine if the card is fake. do they keep the card, do they reimburse me for fees?

If they determine the card to be fake (as they should!), they are supposed to refund you for the value of the erroneous grade it was assigned. This does not always happen, so I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@robotur said:
    I finally resolved this issue with PSA, who determined the card was fake and reimbursed me for the full value of the card.

I am happy with the resolution.

Curious if they asked you how you obtained it or proof of how much you paid (of course could be a trade/gift/etc), or they just cutting you a check and keeping the dud?

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Here is the BK logo evolution over the years. From 1969-1994, notice the “K” had curvy legs, which was true at the time the genuine 1988 Emmitt was issued. The forgers made these fakes after 1994 once Emmitt won his Super Bowls and became a hobby staple. They foolishly used the more modern block letter logo which was current at the time the fakes were printed. Hopefully this information helps others from getting cheated…

Why is it that the 50's and 60's have the coolest logos here as well as in sports.

• Options

PSA didn't ask me where I got the card however they concluded I was not the submitter of the original card, maybe based on location or when submitted. they gave me market value and sent me a check.

• Options

I'm glad this worked out for you. I hope they stop slabbing the fake Emmitts now.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2023 5:29PM

Looks like these slipped by the goalie too

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.